Check in

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
How is everyone doing? I’ve been thinking really hard about the upcoming holidays and as we are fast approaching, I am feeling a bit apprehensive about remaining abstinent, as I do every year. If I’m able to abstain from binging on forbidden foods, this would be my first holiday season. I plan on remaining close to program, mainly in the form of phone meetings, podcasts, and reaching out to other OAers because of traveling.

Is anyone else having the same thoughts? If so, what are some of the tools that you use to be binge free during the holidays or special events?

Replies

• youthlaxmom
    youthlaxmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I missed an event called 4th Stepping through the holidays. I was at a different event, so some friends gathered info for me. I am happy to share it with you after my meeting Saturday when I get the info.

I am also abstinent now after many long hard attempts thanks to Lawrie C.'s Big Book Study. http://www.oabigbook.info I printed out the step study and am working it like my life depends on it by: Reading it, listening to his audio on you tube, marking up a big book (while going through it with him as he explains it), then having an accountability call with an active sponsor once per week.

I feel I have tried and failed many times and his explanations and treating this as a disease of the body and compulsion of the mind are really helping me.

I'll check back and watch or other ideas. I am working hard on my step study work in Overeaters Anonymous/Big Book above AND Celebrate Recovery. Lots of meetings and work but I am saving time by not being consumed in my own self conflicted drama.

What have you used previously that has given you the success you are experiencing? I can go back through your posts and look for that answer as well. However, I am curious what you feel the top 2 tools are providing you success today?

You are not alone,

Laura
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Hey Laura,
    What’s helped me is the past was chairing meetings as secretary, volunteering to lead meetings. I need to be more proactive in service work. I’m also in AA and have been sober for over 6 years, and while in recovery, I realized that this disease manifested into a different obsession (COE). I’ve recently received my 6 month chip in OA, which was a wonderful feeling of accomplishment, but know that one day at a time I can get through it.

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience, strength, and hope!
    Felicia
  • youthlaxmom
    youthlaxmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    <3 You definitely are a rockstar! Very fitting name! Congrats. Keep on keeping on and please stay in touch.
  • Strong_Heart
    Strong_Heart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am looking for OA support. This is the time of year that is hardest for me to stay abstinent [Halloween to Easter].

I hope I will find OA friends who will take my hand and walk beside me on this spiritual journey and help me stop the insanity of Compulsive Overeating. I am hoping that "together we can do what we cannot do alone".
  • dakotafriendly
    dakotafriendly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Strong_Heart! Glad to see your post this morning! I am also a compulsive overeater. I'm strongly relying on my God to do what I could not do on my own. I am just looking at OA, have attended a few online meetings. There are only two in my area within 50 miles, and going in person seems intimidating at this point anyway. I've listed to the Laurie C tapes and understand now after all these years that I have a 'problem' with food and not simply a failing of willpower and character. I've abstained from pop for 4 1/2 years (soda-briety), and sugar this time for 4 months. I haven't made a food plan, but need to next, because the number of calories I can mindlessly eat even of good food is insane. I hope sharing a little bit about me helps and I'm know I'm definitely in your corner and ready to cheer you on!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Strong_Heart, and Dakotafriendly, welcome!
    This group doesn't get many posts anymore, but I try to show up regularly, and I'm also open to PMs and such.
    I agree with this part of the year being a big challenge. And even being abstinent for almost a year, i still have moments where I want to consume eveything in sight, so reaching out to fellow OAers, have been my saving grace!
    If you can't make it to a face-to-face meeting, there are speaker meetings that can be accessed here http://www.oalaig.org/speakers-podcasts/the-laig-virtual-speakers-bureau.html, and phone meetings can be accessed here http://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/
  • MadameMaverick
    MadameMaverick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have already messed up my abstinence, but proudly taking steps to do better with the support of HP and others. Progress not perfection.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    GrokRockStar, thank for the link to speakers. I walk my dogs in the morning before daylight and listen to stuff on my MP3 player....these will be a great addition to my morning.

I use the food diary on MFP to log my food....I don't always log it first thing but I know before I walk out the door with my dogs what I'm going to be eating all day and I don't accept food that is offered to me by anyone no matter how benign the food or how thoughtful the offer.....it makes it easier that way.
  • dakotafriendly
    Options
    G Star, is there another group that is more active on MFP? It was hard to browse until I found this one, and think there may be other OA groups here that also may help me.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    G Star, is there another group that is more active on MFP? It was hard to browse until I found this one, and think there may be other OA groups here that also may help me.

Dakota, I believe there is a binge free group on MFP. It's not OA specific, but it's more active I believe. Unfortunately, the new MFP format doesn't allow to search groups, at least I don't see the group search box anymore. If you're looking for OA specific, this is pretty much it. It's a bummer because the group was very interactive and helped many people.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    GrokRockStar, thank for the link to speakers. I walk my dogs in the morning before daylight and listen to stuff on my MP3 player....these will be a great addition to my morning.

I use the food diary on MFP to log my food....I don't always log it first thing but I know before I walk out the door with my dogs what I'm going to be eating all day and I don't accept food that is offered to me by anyone no matter how benign the food or how thoughtful the offer.....it makes it easier that way.

Barbiecat, I listen to the podcasts during walks also, i call it my "sanity walks," and after tuning in, I'm much more sane! I kinda obsess with logging, so I log routinely to check in to make sure i'm on track because I pretty much eat the same types of food everyday. Thanks for checking in!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I have already messed up my abstinence, but proudly taking steps to do better with the support of HP and others. Progress not perfection.

Maverick, just get back right back on the wagon. I've had many relapses and i still struggle as I approach 9 months of abstinence. And yes, reaching out to other program people and your HP will help on those days where it feels hopeless!
  • dakotafriendly
    Options
    Thanks RockStar!