Daily check in - NoVEmbeR give up!

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    Row - 5x5 @ 75, these were ok, but I am pretty sure my form is off. Lower back almost always hurts after I do these.

is there a chance that you're locking your knees without noticing? that can add strain for your lower back. and/or maybe your hamstrings are tight, which might be causing a kind of pendlay version of the famous buttwink, i.e. lower back tending to round. you could try doing piriformis and hamstring stretches before you get started, to see if that helps at all.

i know full pendlay rows are like a kind of physical-feedback firestorm for me, so i just find it really difficult to try and keep track of so many different body sections at once. and for me none of any of it ever felt natural. so i'm pretty sure that when i did them i often did lock my knees just because at least then it felt like something was going to hold still when i yanked on the bar.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well, look at all of you heavy lifting ladies going at it like crazy! Haven't posted in a week or so but have been doing the lifts. Nothing especially exciting other than moving up 5 lbs on the squats. So the last couple of lifts consist of:

Squats: 5x5 @ 115 lbs.
    OHP: 5x5 @ 55 lbs...still
    DL: Only did 105 lbs. this past workout; the time before managed to do 140, but I still haven't gotten around to getting chalk to prevent my hands from slipping. It's on my list to get this weekend along with the darn 1.25 lb weights so I can hopefully go up on my OHP!
    BP: 5x5 @ 95 lbs.
    Rows: 5x5 @ 85 lbs.

Have a great weekend all! :smile:

• Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Love it canadianlbs! Thx for sharing and that makes sense. I really want to Foucault's on strength as well as conditioning so I will play with food intake/calorie sources and rest days. Might keep running off map till HIIT training ends in 2 weeks which will give me time to play with the previous two factors a bit more.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Had a pretty busy week, easing myself back in...
    Squats - 5x5 @ 145lbs - started at 155 but was eh, so went to 145.
    OHP - 5x5 @ 70lbs
    DL - 1x5 @ 135lbs, 1x5 @ 165

There was this guy doing just... terrible... deadlifts with 300+ lbs. Just couldn't look away as he kept slapping 45's on either side. Had another guy come up to us and ask if we were going to teach him how to do it properly before he seriously injured himself. And said my friend and I had some of the best form he'd seen at our gym. I'm sure he was just fluffing us up, but was still nice to hear.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OH man. Today was partly terrible, partly ok. I have not lifted since LAST Fri, so I did a deload on my squats.
    Then I realized, as I was pulling into the garage coming home, that I never put on my weightlifting shoes!! I am hoping this explains a lot of my bad squat issues - I felt horribly unstable. I was doing them in my running shoes :( Whoops :(

Squats - 70lbs, deloaded from last weight of 75. Like I said above I felt wobbly, unstable and just generally awful on these and I think the shoes had a lot to do with it. At least I HOPE it was the shoes and not my week off. Still did 5x5 but, sloppy.
    I started out doing them in a different type of rack but the sides are not low enough for me and on my first warmup rep with just the bar, I hit the safeties and got all discombobulated. There was a dude watching me who thought I needed help. It was totally embarrassing and then I started rambling which I do when I'm embarrassed. SHUT UP, ME, UGH
    Then I got control of the normal rack and that at least helped my mental state.

OHP - at 45lbs as usual, it's fine, I haven't lifted for a week. I did a few sets of 6, but nothing to get too excited about. I think it was 3x6 and 2x5, not necessarily in that order.

Deadlift - repeat of 135lbs, did 2x5. The SL app wanted me to deload to 130 but I was like... no thanks, I am not going to fiddle with plates to make 130 when I can just stick on 2 45's to do 135 again.

Did just a smidge on the assisted pullup machine, looking for my 1RM, and did 2@30lbs assisted which is a PR. I know that Krok and others are not a fan of this machine but not sure what else to use =/

Did a 15min warmup on the elliptical while waiting for a rack. After lifting I discovered the rowing machine! I watched a vid on form for this a few days ago and have wanted to try it. I loooooved it!! It was so soothing and I could do it with my eyes closed and just zone out to my music. So I did 15min on that after my lifts.

Overall was a decent although not great workout. Docking points for the bad, bad squats but everything else was pretty good.
    Solid B
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so great!!
    Madcow DL day

Squat 5@80,100,115,115
    OHP 5@45,50,60 2@65 finishes with 10@
    DL 5@110,130,155,175(body weight, woohoo)
    Hip thrust 160 10,9,10
    High box squat 175 3x10
    Side lying clam 2x30 each side
    Band pullups 2x5
    Plank 1:00, :40, :45

Love eating at maintenance. ☺️
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Squats: warm up + 5@65,80,95,110, 3@125, 8@95
    Bench 5@45,45,50,50,50,60, 3@65, 8@60 (I was feeling good today haha)
    Rows: 5@45,50,60,70, 3@80, 8@70
    Russian twists: 3x30@10lbs
    Inverted rows: 1x7,1x4

I'm going to add in accessories for abs and pull/chin ups now. Let's see how this goes :p

Keep up the good work ladies! Happy Friday :D
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Today was a rest day, so I'm just lurking. :)

Squats Question:
    Have any of you used plates under your heels to help with balance in a more narrow stance? This has been recommended to me because a narrower stance really helps with my adductor issues -- but I feel weird about having my heels off the ground like this. Thoughts?

arrrrjt wrote: »
    Had a pretty busy week, easing myself back in...
    Squats - 5x5 @ 145lbs - started at 155 but was eh, so went to 145.
    OHP - 5x5 @ 70lbs
    DL - 1x5 @ 135lbs, 1x5 @ 165

There was this guy doing just... terrible... deadlifts with 300+ lbs. Just couldn't look away as he kept slapping 45's on either side. Had another guy come up to us and ask if we were going to teach him how to do it properly before he seriously injured himself. And said my friend and I had some of the best form he'd seen at our gym. I'm sure he was just fluffing us up, but was still nice to hear.

Um, I wish those were *my* easing into it numbers! :) Those are fantastic!

And yes, there was a guy at my gym doing something similar last week and I honestly had to force myself not to look because it was so horrifying. Still makes me shudder just thinking about the damage he could do!

threnjen wrote: »
    After lifting I discovered the rowing machine! I watched a vid on form for this a few days ago and have wanted to try it. I loooooved it!! It was so soothing and I could do it with my eyes closed and just zone out to my music. So I did 15min on that after my lifts.

I used to row on the San Francisco Bay, watching the sun come up. It was amazing and made getting out of bed at 4:30 AM worth it. I would LOVE to get back to rowing, even on a machine. Thanks for the reminder! :)

massage97 wrote: »
    DL 5@110,130,155,175(body weight, woohoo)
    RAD RAD RAD RAD! Nice job!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit out of it at the moment, like I'm lacking direction. All of it, the weight loss, the cardio and the weight lifting.

Squats - decided to focus on form so went down to 80lb 6, 7, 7, 7, 7 but form was still not good enough. Like crabada I'm experiencing adductor problems and it's really holding me back.

Bench 56lb 5x5 but I think the spotter helped me on some of them.

Rows 5x5 at whatever weight I used last time.

Meh.
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    Today was a rest day, so I'm just lurking. :)

Squats Question:
    Have any of you used plates under your heels to help with balance in a more narrow stance? This has been recommended to me because a narrower stance really helps with my adductor issues -- but I feel weird about having my heels off the ground like this. Thoughts?

How wide are you feet? Do you have constant lower back pain? How tight are your calves? Roll your calves with a tennis ball, stretch them a lot. That is to help with standing on a plate I heard. I have to have my feet wider and I have anterior pelt tilt. My low back constantly hurts, abs and hamstrings are week (getting better) and hip flexor and low back are tight. Since the last pregnancy I can't even lay in bed all night. I roll out my hip flexor on my right side for a long time every day. It helps the low back but it comes back yet. Hope this helps.
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    For all of you that have tight hips i just saw this video for a stretch. I havent tried it yet, hubby is not in the house, i will have him help me with it later to see if it is any good for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjBaLVlQWw

Excuse the language, he has a potty mouth in all of his videos.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Cheers massage just given that a go with my boyfriend. It had been recommended to me before but I'd forgotten. (I think that they'd also mentioned applying pressure with the thumb somewhere, but I'm happy to skip that bit).
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    massage97 wrote: »
    For all of you that have tight hips i just saw this video for a stretch.

oh, i like elliot!! i like how talky and compulsively explainy he is. watched a lot of his stuff, and his 'strength camp' things have some great corrective tips he's done on just average shmoes who've wandered in from the street. there's one of his somewhere showing 'corrective deadlift' to omar isaf that i like as well.

i've seen this one on the hips; made me glad there's no-one around here to 'help' me do it.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Back at it! I did do my deadlift and ohp 5/3/1 but the results were so bad i will redo them. Still decided to go with squats today

132.5x5
    150x3
    167.5x5
    135x10 (lazy plate switching, again :P)

That plus set was probably one of my ugliest squat sets I've ever done. Not really all that much form wise, really. Just... I misgrooved every single one of the reps, so they were all grinders. My knee is really making me overthink things. I feel like I'm not progressing on squats at all now. Maybe I should put this one on the back burner for a while...... Ah well

Moved on to 3 rounds of 40/20 intervals
    - KB ground to overhead (40lbs in a sumo high pull to press/push press as I was tiring out)
    - spiderman push-ups
    - bulgarian split squats R
    - BSS L
    - suspended plank - I've finally mastered the getting into position part, so these were 3 solid 40s holds. Wee!

Finished up with a killer 6 rounds of tabatas
    - bottom half burpees
    - sitouts

Then proceeded to just lay on my belly for a few minutes, unable to get myself up. I've lost a bit of mojo. Not too happy about it. But the stressful times are almost over, for now. So I'm just happy I didn't completely fall off the wagon.

@threnjen
    I have nothing against the assisted pull-ups machine per say, just that it comes with a disclaimer that you shouldn't let the machine do your work! I've seen many people hop on it and bounce up and down xD Nothing like a real pull-up! If your gym has resistance bands, you could use those if you want to switch it up. Loop it through on a pull-up bar, get your foot or knee in and have fun with it. It's really simple :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Love the thread name...done with my break, back to it (physical went well).

Workout A (Sat)

Flat dumbbell flys - 5 x 10 - 40

Dumbbell Side Bends - 5 x 10 - 40

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 65

Barbel Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 100

Lateral Hot Potato Squats - 5 x 10 - 20

squats 5 X 5 - 200

Reverse curls 5 x 5 - 100

Incline Crunches 1 x 100

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 125
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    workout b, with variations. man, am i bushed. wasn't even sure this would be a full workout because knee, so i went in without eating lunch or dinner and just kind of figured i could keep it light and do i dunno, maybe some collection of other/non-strongliftsy stuff. but i did more than i'd planned on doing.

squats: bodyweight, 2x10@45, 1x5?@65, 4x5@85, 2x5@90. better than i thought i would do. the 85s felt hard, and i really regretted not eating much throughout the day. decided to do 6 sets of 5, since i could just feel that 6 reps per set wasn't going to work. but then after 4 sets i figured it was already heavy enough that another 5 pounds probably wouldn't make much difference, so i tried it, and sure enough. so i did 2 more.

ohp: had to get creative since there were no spare 45 bars and the rack had a deep lineup. instead of doing 5x5 at 50 or even trying for 55, i just did 3x10 at 30 early on, and then right at the end another 3x10 at 20 with the curl bar. i kind of like doing high reps and low weight for ohp, since i really enjoy the feeling of having actually solid form. will probably continue going for volume rather than weight for a while, and see where that goes.

deadlift: whoo-hoo. well, i was frightened of these due to the recent knee events. but a day spent with youtube gave me one little tip i'd never even heard of before, courtesy of buff dudes: starting the whole thing with a little bit of lordosis. in other words, duh. breaking backwards at hips and knees to start the whole thing, in the same way that you start out for squats. what i HAD been doing was the rippetoe beginning, which (to my interpretation) was just 'lean down and grab the bar, and then do the rest of the stuff'. it made an amazing difference in my hamstring loading and i had no knee trouble at all, but still kept it very cautious with weight and again went for volume and muscle memory instead. around 5 singles at 100, then probably around 10 singles at 120. i tried 140 and got it up . . . once. after that i went back to 120 for about 5 more reps, and packed it in. also, thanks @krokador, since being asked about it in that other thread really made me drag the bar into my legs on the way up, like never before. owsies, but i'm pretty happy tonight.

other stuff:
    1x60 sec plank - got my turn at the rack before i could do the second one.
    good mornings (first try ever), with 30lb bar: i think 2x8, but tbh i've forgotten by now. lat pulldowns: sets of 8-12, at 20, 22.5 and 25 on the double-cable machine, spread throughout the workout.
    seated rows: idk why, just for looseness/mobility or something. i did a few sets of 8-10, at low weights which i've forgotten now. i remember some at 40, i'm pretty sure.

tomorrow a workshop on lift 'variations'. i'm pretty sure this is partly because i asked for something covering low bar squats, last time around. so looking forward to it although i think i might not make it out of the laz-e-boy chair tomorrow.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Running in real quick because I gotta shower and head out, but here's today's Bench 5/3/1 results =D

97.5x5
    110x3
    122.5x4 !!! HUGE rep PR here! So happy I managed to grind through the last rep =D
    95x14 Again, rep PR here! I just felt real strong today ^^

Moved on to 10 min AMRAP of
    - russian 1 arm kb snatch x5/arm
    - trx pistols x5 per leg
    - split stance KB rows

KB was 30lbs and I managed 4 rounds and 7 rows (then added the last 3 after time. Clean numbers and all!) I got to try my new KB arm guards and they were amazing! No more freaky bruises on my forearms! And they make me look badass on top!

view?usp=sharing
    (In case the forum breaks my image as it likes to do... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AhVtSv97LOejVGdHJoczcxb2c/view?usp=sharing)

And 10 min amrap of the KB wide sumo deadlift (20, 15, 10, 5, 10, 15) and wall walks (2, 3, 4, 5, 4)

I hate wall walks

Then I felt like doing isolation work. I never do that stuff anymore!
    Overhead triceps cable rope extension
    superset with rope cable curls

bent over cable crossovers

wide grip lat pulldown -> I was trying to find out my 1RM on these. Managed about 75% of a rep @ 140lbs. Given I was at the end of my workout I think fresh I would've gotten it. That pull-up will happen! (Esp since this was WIDE grip so definitely no help from the biceps)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lifted yesterday and wasn't feeling as strong as usual - bit of a lower calorie week and normally I'm fine at night lifting, but on the weekend I lift in the morning, so fasted. Sometimes that works out, other times like yesterday, it makes me feel a little weaker - eh, I'll roll with it, ain't no room for ego in my weight room x

Squat 5x5 @ 135lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 77lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 85lbs

1x5 chin ups
    And ONE pull up woop woop!!i didn't realise I could do these, but I gave it a go and yahooooooo!
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Workout A yesterday

Squats 75 lbs 5x5
    Bench 60 lbs 5x5
    Rows 75 lbs 5x5

Also did weighted situps (3x12 with a 25 lb plate) on a contraption that looks like a medieval torture device -- sit on some roller things and stick your feet in-between some other rollers. I think it's called a Roman chair, but I'm not sure -- that was as close as I could get on Pinterest.

I usually work out early in the morning, 5:30 or so and yesterday I went mid-afternoon. I felt a lot stronger than usual. Not sure if this is because of the time of day or the fact that I usually train fasted and yesterday I had eaten breakfast and a light lunch prior to going to the gym.
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    1x5 chin ups
    And ONE pull up woop woop!!i didn't realise I could do these, but I gave it a go and yahooooooo!

That's awesome!!!
    I usually work out early in the morning, 5:30 or so and yesterday I went mid-afternoon. I felt a lot stronger than usual. Not sure if this is because of the time of day or the fact that I usually train fasted and yesterday I had eaten breakfast and a light lunch prior to going to the gym.

I did without first thing in the morning, fasted. I now do it usually 12:30 or so and strength is a lot better.

Heavy triple day
    Squat 5@80,95,115,135. 3@155 PR 8@115
    Bench 5@45,55,65,80 3@90, PR 8@80
    Row 5@50,65,80,90 3@105 8@90

Feet/shoulder elevated 2x20
    Goodmorning 90 3x8
    Barbell curl 45x3x10
    Bench dips 3x8
    Goblet squat 40x3x6
    Tricep extension 20x3x7
    Band seated abduction 2x20
    Plank 1:10, :40, :40