Strength Training - The Basics

Options
124»

Replies

• paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sara, was good to check that out.
  • tomdrinkard
    tomdrinkard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • c_30
    c_30 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Camela. I am 29 years old, 5'5 and a half. I am currently 249 lbs, body fat% is probably 50% or higher, unhealthy I know but that is why I am here :o) I was going to mainly focus on cardio however a couple of my mfp friends were quite adamant to do both strong lifts and cardio from the very start.

I am giving strong lifts a try Tuesday, I have been watching YouTube videos on form as well as what a overhead press or a barbell row is and I now have a general idea but some questions as well.

- 5x5 ... so does this mean that I am doing 5 squats at the heaviest weight that I can handle for a total of 25?
    - each session ... does this mean each day increase by 5 lbs (dead lift 10 lbs) or once I finish one set of reps.

Sorry if it sounds stupid but I have zero clue and want to make sure that I am on the right track. My goal is to lose weight and tone up, I want muscle definition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Camela. I am 29 years old, 5'5 and a half. I am currently 249 lbs, body fat% is probably 50% or higher, unhealthy I know but that is why I am here :o) I was going to mainly focus on cardio however a couple of my mfp friends were quite adamant to do both strong lifts and cardio from the very start.

I am giving strong lifts a try Tuesday, I have been watching YouTube videos on form as well as what a overhead press or a barbell row is and I now have a general idea but some questions as well.

- 5x5 ... so does this mean that I am doing 5 squats at the heaviest weight that I can handle for a total of 25?
    - each session ... does this mean each day increase by 5 lbs (dead lift 10 lbs) or once I finish one set of reps.

Sorry if it sounds stupid but I have zero clue and want to make sure that I am on the right track. My goal is to lose weight and tone up, I want muscle definition.

Hi! If you have not already done so, I would join the group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

With regard to your specific question, you increase the next session (next day you do that lift)
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    - Warm up your muscles before lifting by doing a short amount of cardio (less than 10 minutes). Stretching is not required and should not be done ‘cold’ in any event.
    IHow about cool-downs - are they important? I find myself doing the most cursory of stretches after the workout - some calf, ham, arm, back - and then i feel faintly guilty. Is there a recommended cool-down routine?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^ I usually just walk around for a few minutes or if I have some juice left will hop on the elliptical for a leisurely 15 minutes and then stretch.

really just to bring my heartrate down to a "normal" level in a gradual manner. I have no idea whether it really helps or not but it's just a habit now.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the write-up, Sara.

I'm due for session #12 of Strong Lifts today and I'm starting to finally hit weights that I struggle with. I've not been doing any warm up....and I've been wondering what to do (besides de-load) if my form was breaking or incorrect.

Well-timed post for me!
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Keeping for later
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I feel like the OP yearns to be a sticky. :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^^its linked in the main 'index' thread - Important Posts to Read - we already have a load of stickies.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • bebe_d
    Options
    Lots to learn from this post. Thank you so much!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can find this again. Thanks Sara!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Great information - I am just starting stronglifts 5x5! Thanks for all the work you do here! :)