Holiday Yams

Options
mygnsac
mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
I love my sweet potatoes and yams baked or roasted plain, but I usually make this not-so-healthy version for the holidays. I've converted former yam-haters with this recipe:

Ingredients
  • 4 to 6 medium-sized yams
  • ½ to 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • ¼ cup butter
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 can pineapple rings (unsweetened). Drain and reserve the pineapple juice.
  • Large marshmallows (one for each pineapple ring used)
  • Optional - Halved maraschino cherries (one for each marshmallow used)

Directions
Boil the yams until fork-tender. Drain and peel the yams and place in a large mixing bowl. While the yams are still warm, add brown sugar (about ½ cup), margarine and about ½ of the reserved pineapple juice. Mash the ingredients together until the texture is smooth. Mix in additional brown sugar and/or pineapple juice to suit your taste. Stir in the chopped walnuts and pour the mixture into a baking dish. Arrange the pineapple rings over the top of the mixture and place a marshmallow in the middle of each pineapple ring. For a more festive look, place a halved maraschino cherry on top of each marshmallow. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes (just until the marshmallows start to brown). Serves 6 to 8.

Do you have a favorite holiday yams recipe to share (healthy or otherwise)?

Replies

• WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    This is my friends' favorite recipe and is often requested for potlucks.

Roasted Apples and Sweet Potatoes

INGREDIENTS

3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium-size sweet potatoes), peeled
    3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled ( I don't peel my apples.)
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1/3 cup dried cranberries
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
    DIRECTIONS

1. Cut peeled sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Cut peeled apples into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

2. Mix together melted butter and brown sugar in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag until blended. Add sweet potatoes, cranberries, and sliced apples. Seal bag, and toss to coat.

3. Place potato mixture in a single layer in a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined 9- x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper - optional.

4. Bake at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes and apples are tender and lightly browned.

Serves 4 to 6
  • sugarskullbaby12
    Options
    where are the calorie or fat intake ???
  • WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    where are the calorie or fat intake ???

For the roasted apples and sweet potatoes, approximately 190 calories and 3 grams of fat.

• sugarskullbaby12
    Options
    thank you :)
  • jcbruce80
    jcbruce80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That recipe with the apples sounds really good! And it doesn't seem to use as much butter or sugar, either. I wish I was making sweet potatoes this year, and I would have tried this. I think I'll stick it into my recipes to try file.