Newbie :)

Options
Hi all, I'm thinking of starting this next week, any advice? hints? tips? magic secrets? much appreciated :D

Replies

• angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    welcome - i would read the announcements at top of page for information.
    - good luck
  • purpleberry2
    purpleberry2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks Angela, I'll take a look
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi, welcome!
    If you need advice after you've done your homework ;). Just ask, it's a friendly group with some inspirational posters.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Welcome, hope you can find some inspiration here. This is a great group with many informative and inspirational people. It has really helped me and I have stuck with 5:2 for nearly 3 month now! It is nice to find others on the same path as you.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I started last week and I actually enjoying my fast days! This group is soooooo helpful x
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentation, it's worth the hour...Link in the announcements at top of page.

Then my best advice is stick to it for the long term and don't freak out when you have weight fluctuations or 'fail' a fast. Weight tends to be a bit more erratic with the fasting days in between than on daily restriction. And not every fast is easy.

Just watch the long term trend and measure yourself regularly. And enjoy your food on non fast days ;-), without going completely overboard.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    welcome :-)
  • purpleberry2
    Options
    hi thanks everyone, I watched the documentary and read his book, really informative stuff. Honestly when I first heard about 5:2 I thought what a load of bull! But now I've actually researched it, it seems to make a lot of sense. I'm hoping to change my attitude to food more than weight loss (but I won't say no to losing a stone or two :D ). I think about food constantly, always snacking (particularly at night) and I'm always worried about being hungry! From what I've read the 5:2 plan will help these.
  • purpleberry2
    Options
    I've just been reading through some of the other discussion posts. You really are a friendly bunch! I'm actually really looking forward to starting. I've actually not seen one bad story or experience with this...
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Glad you are joining us. Feel free to post your questions. There is usually someone on hand with an intelligent response.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. :)

My only tip for fast days is to plan them. If you know what you're going to eat and when, it takes the hassle out of the day.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite tip is to pre-log everything you eat. I always plan my meals the night before and log them. I can always change it the next day if I add or change what I eat that day.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite tip is to pre-log everything you eat. I always plan my meals the night before and log them. I can always change it the next day if I add or change what I eat that day.

This is a good tip, not only for fast days, but non-fast days.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've just been reading through some of the other discussion posts. You really are a friendly bunch! I'm actually really looking forward to starting. I've actually not seen one bad story or experience with this...

Yup. 5:2 ers seem to be the happier and nicer dieters. Sometimes I wonder about the nasty responses in the normal forums. Guess we are not as hangry as we eat five days a week :)
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have always pre-log my meals every day. Fast and non-fast days.
    I agree flumi 5:2 dieters do seen to be the happier of all dieters. I think its because we are not deprived of anything we want and can enjoy the holidays, time with family, eating out and still lose. At least that is how I feel about it....
    And yes everyone here is very friendly and helpful...........
  • jknight001
    Options
    I would also add I believe the 2 fast days add to the happiness. I find the day after a fast day is like coming back from the dead. I am full of gratitude for what I eat. Life is so much better with a helping of gratitude. And I can't imagine a better bunch with which to do the 5:2 journey.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about the "conformity" issue...the rules are easy to understand yet still pliable enough to fit almost anyone's lifestyle. No diet police here telling you when you stepped over a line...only fellow human beings encouraging each other to find/create their own lines.

...yet, we aren't perfect. I've seen a couple of people lose their cool, but it's rare. I don't want to paint a completely rosy picture, but do consider our little community of misfits very special.
  • purpleberry2
    Options
    I posted in mfp forum asking pretty much the same thing, got quite a bit of backlash for it, it was on there someone pointed me to this group. So it's nice to read helpful comments from nice people!
  • jknight001
    Options
    Wishing MFP let us like group posts. :(
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Me too @jknight001

Like ^^

:D