Bump for links.
  • Amy1542014
    Amy1542014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love this Thanks!
  • maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Amazingly useful... getting as much info as I can as I'm starting SL 5x5 next week (or this Friday if I can't wait after I've had the induction at the gym :p). I already got pointed to the "ladies' corner" with mini dumbbells when I asked about the free weights area (and then after my face, the answer: aaaah, very heavy weights? over there) so I had a peek at the equipment and dudes over there :D:D Hopefully the PT won't be as useless... we get 5x free PT sessions with the membership so I hope they listen to me and they don't try to get me to use the machines or small dumbbells instead!
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! Even two years later, OP's info is still very relevant. Thank you!

I cancelled my gym membership recently. The training programs with "heavy" weights for women was a very light barbell with very little weight (or light dumbbells) and high, high reps - over and over. Oh, and squats - "you do those on the machines....." Whaaat?

I bought some used Olympic weights, then hubby and I built a power rack, so I work out at home now. Very nice! and I don't have to wait on the rack or listen to the silly girls giggle with the trainers over the silly light weights and high reps.

We got this!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    For anyone looking for a home set, I bought a 300 lb Olympic weight set at ****'s for $200.

The guy at the store loaded the boxes into the car for me (while eyeing me quizzically), but I had to open the boxes at home to get the plates in the house individually. LOL

I'm a wimp and even the 45 pound bar (with no weights was a challenge)....
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Oops, apparently the store named is too much like a male body part.

but you know the store D**k's Sporting Goods.
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jimboodee2
    jimboodee2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started sl 5x5 on sunday at home but only have a max of 30kg of plates my barbell is only 2.5kg at most so not Olympic at all. is it ok to use a lesser weight then the programme stats in the beginning? I will be purchasing more but for the time being to get me start is this ok? will I still see some results in the coming weeks? I am 2 1/2 stones overweight have changed my diet and hoping to lose the fat and define my shape. any advice would be great. I have the app and find it really good. Thanks
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    <3 you for taking the time to type this all up...I read through the whole program online, and yes understood it, but didn't really know where to start for the weights, or what to do about the deadlifts and barbell rows (with bar needing elevation). Your summary set my mind more at ease! Thanks!!
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    thanks.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Glad someone posted this! Two thumbs up!
  • theSophiemeister
    theSophiemeister Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • meepsterbird
    Options
    Bump
  • fruity2
    fruity2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump! So glad I was sent this link :) This is fantastic
  • goldencat01
    goldencat01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    SO glad to see there are so many women doing this! I just quit crossfit after a year and a half, wanted to try something new. I started the 5x5 last week, and so far it has been good. The weight is still light for me but I can tell it is going to get much harder soon. Would love to see peoples results on here! Good luck everyone!