Are they even making bodymedias anymore?

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
I've had my Bodymedia for about 18 months now. On the whole, I have been disappointed. After tracking carefully and comparing results to what Bodymedia predicts, I have discovered that for me, the device is only about 69% accurate. Most days, it says I burn around 2400 cals a day. Bit my real life results support a TDEE of about 1550 most days. So that is a huge difference.

I have found a way to compensate finally by adjusting my calorie goals in MFP, but it took a year of gaining 10 pounds to figure it all out. :(

Anyway, I most likely will not replace mine when it dies.

I was looking online to see how much longer I could expect mine to work, because I will want to purchase a different tracker, and I would like to overlap the use to compare the two. (I am thinking about a Misfit device, or perhaps a jawbone.).

When I went to the "shop" tab on my Bodymedia webpage, I couldn't even find a Bodymedia product listed for sale. Only the jawbone products were shown.

Are they discontinuing? No great loss to me, but I am curious.

Replies

• lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yep they are discontinuing them... Can't buy new ones any longer.

Sorry that it didn't prove accurate for you. I'm one of the lucky (90+%) that it is accurate for and LOVE mine.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    lisab64mfp wrote: »
    Yep they are discontinuing them... Can't buy new ones any longer.

Sorry that it didn't prove accurate for you. I'm one of the lucky (90+%) that it is accurate for and LOVE mine.

Mine was super accurate as well... so sad they are discontinuing them. Jawbone bought the company for the technology and not the armbands. :sad:

• squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I loved mine but have stopped using it because I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia so can't exercise anymore so it's not beneficial for me. Shame as it was very (95%) accurate for me
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    they have introduced a new model that builds on the bodymedia, made it a band and made it truely water proof for swimming. Too soon to tell if it will work as well as it is backordered.
  • mopedgirl007
    mopedgirl007 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For your question about how long it will last mine still works after owning it for 5 years, roughly 3 years of constant use. I'm very sad to see it discontinued, it worked for me, and I always go back to it when I see myself start gaining.
  • MadSocket
    MadSocket Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love mine but integrating with iOS HealthKit is a pain ( using WiThings to bridge) and I expect the apple watch will be the death of mine.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used mine for over year (but I haven't used it in over a year now) and found it worked great for me. I don't know how accurate it was, but I lost all the weight I had wanted by using the numbers it gave me... I stopped using it when I changed jobs and all my routines went to hell :/ now I'm back to starting healthy habits again and starting to get back into shape. I came here to decide if I want to restart my body media subscription... Not sure yet. I think it will depend on whether it looks like they still support the product well online.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bodymedia has been bought out by jawbone which is a fledgling company with it's own problems. Google is thinking of buying out jawbone. The UP3 by bodymedia looks like it's getting closer to release but it's 5 months behind schedule that's with preorders etc falling by the wayside. People are not happy with jawbone.

People like myself are using used models and taking advantage of the free trial period but it's only 90 days. A group on facebook who are into tech are slowly migrating to fitbit HR or Fitbit Surge. I'm sure that the device will still keep working as the UP3 uses the same tech. The question you have to ask yourself if it's worth the 90$ vs just spending the 150-300 for a band that has no subscription.

I personally would sell the bodymedia pand and recoop the 30-40$ it's worth on ebay, and use that money to invest in a fitbit (with no heart strap) or garmin product (with heart strap) if you do not swim. I like polar 's a300 but requires a heart strap but they force you to pay top dollar for a 'do all device' with GPS etc.

Inbox me if you need help deciding what you want. generally the more you pay the features you get.