Some questions

erayne
erayne Posts: 47 Member
Hello, I am new to this group! I just started LCHF, I've been doing it for about a month now and have been successful. I'm trying to figure out how to enter in my goals in MFP and it's not working! I've tried to use a ketosis calculator, but when I put it into MFP it gives me really high numbers.....is there a certain calculator you use, or recommend? I hope this is the right group to put this in!

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited November 2014
    erayne wrote: »
    Hello, I am new to this group! I just started LCHF, I've been doing it for about a month now and have been successful. I'm trying to figure out how to enter in my goals in MFP and it's not working! I've tried to use a ketosis calculator, but when I put it into MFP it gives me really high numbers.....is there a certain calculator you use, or recommend? I hope this is the right group to put this in!
    Era;

The MFP calculator (like most of them) is pretty much useless overall but as a cal/macro tracking app, MFP is as good as any.

Others have their "fav" LCHF calcs, I don't think it really matters much which one you use since all you really need is the basics (BMR/TDEE) and we'll guide you from there (if you want).

Start here:
    tinyurl.com/l23aquu

It's as good as any - compare it to whatever other calcs others suggest if you wish but keep your entries the same if you do.

Once you have the numbers, "force" them into MFP for your diary.

When you have them, post back if you need help and open your diary so others here can take a look and make suggestions.

As a real "ballpark" estimate, if you know your "target" daily cal total, AND you are "ok" with doing the math yourself (that's all the calcs do) use these as a starting point.
    Carbs will be a "fixed" (by you) number (anywhere from 50 to 150 if you are just starting out and were previously "high" carb, OR, <20 if you are prepared to go "cold turkey" and jump right in - some can, others can't, it's entirely up to you.

Protein should be 0.5-0.6g/day X LBM (lean body mass) to start (or, as a relatively "short term" goal to shoot for.

All the rest will be fat.

Typical macros might look something like this:
    5-10% carbs
    20-25% protein
    65-75% fat

BUT - it all depends on where you are starting from and what your goals are.

Get your numbers, open your diary, provide us some more "detail" on those questions and there will plenty of knowledgeable folks willing to assist.

Take a look at some of the other group member's diaries to get an idea of how they are "doing it".

In the meantime, spend some time reading through the back threads and posts on this group - there is a wealth of info that will answer many of the questions you'll likely have (and even some you haven't thought of yet <S>

You can pretty much skip the "stickies" at the top of the home page - they're dated, haven't been updated in a long time and don't do much but confuse for the most part.

And, WELCOME to the group - we look forward to your input.
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Under the goals section, you can choose "Custom". From there you can enter your calorie goal as well as your percentages for your macros. Hope this helps.
  • erayne
    Thank you! I did that, but it keeps automatically changing one when I try to change the other. As of right now I have 10% carbs, 80% fat and 30% protein.

At the end of the day I ate: 17% carbs, 73% fat and 10% protein. I know that's bad.

So I was thinking I entered in something wrong. I'll try that link you posted and try again.

Thank you!
  • erayne
    Ok, using the calculator you gave me, my goals seem more realistic. My goal is 20g carbs a day and I ended at 30, which to me if I stay under 50, I'm ok. (Still aiming for 20, but giving it some room!)

Thank you for your help. Wish me luck!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    erayne wrote: »
    Ok, using the calculator you gave me, my goals seem more realistic. My goal is 20g carbs a day and I ended at 30, which to me if I stay under 50, I'm ok. (Still aiming for 20, but giving it some room!)

Thank you for your help. Wish me luck!
    ERA;

"Luck" really has nothing to do with it but I will anyway - good luck.

You'll do fine, just take it a step at a time and give it time.

I can't see your diary but were you able to get the new numbers into your food diary?

If so, you've probably seen that MFP will only allow you to change things in 5% increments which isn't the end of the world just select the "closest" % value that yields the absolute number you want for carbs and protein and know in your mind to stay a little over (or under) whichever it is when menu planning.

If you're "detail obsessed", as some of us are, there's an add-in for MFP that will allow you to enter "absolute" number values (i.e. 17 carbs instead of 5 or 10% and whatever number that produces).

Go here to find it (if interested) and there are a couple others you might find interesting there as well. Click the "Learn More" button - ignore the "supplement" stuff.

tinyurl.com/otztu7h