A Thanksgiving (or other feast) challenge

Options
kkimpel
kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
I propose that instead of getting on MFP and complaining about how stupidly we ate when celebrating with our friends and families we instead comment about what good choice we made at the table.

For instance, "Instead of sweet potatoes with brown sugar, butter, pineapple and a mound of marshmallows I had half of a baked sweet potato with cinnamon, butter and 6 tiny marshmallows baked all golden brown."

Or my friend called to say, "Let's go get some coffee and a doughnut, and I asked if we could go for a hike instead. We had a great time and I splurged on an apple."

I didn't do these things.. YET but I am preparing myself for the holiday season and I thought it might do us all good to concentrate on what we ARE doing right, instead of those lapses in judgement that we may make.

Who's in???

Replies

• ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    well today that apple turnover was so calling me - and I said that's it - I'm just going to have it... and then while still waiting at the cash I was able to talk myself out of it - the apple turnover is not going to help me reach my goal - and I didn't have it!!!
  • kkimpel
    Options
    Yes.. like that! That is so much more empowering than... oh dang it I ate something terrible.. don't you think?
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! I think this is a great idea! <3
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I like it! I will get started right now! I have PMS and have been struggling with cravings, but passed up all of the junk at the grocery store last night! I got seaweed snacks and a stevia-sweetened dark chocolate.
  • kkimpel
    Options
    tonight, I was stuck in the mall, because I got such a late start.. no real lunch and it was 4:00.. spotted a GNC store, and bought a bag of quest chips (yuck.. don't bother) and a quest bar ... beats the heck out of Cinnabon and Wentzel's pretzels that were calling me
  • cindytw
    Options
    kkimpel wrote: »
    tonight, I was stuck in the mall, because I got such a late start.. no real lunch and it was 4:00.. spotted a GNC store, and bought a bag of quest chips (yuck.. don't bother) and a quest bar ... beats the heck out of Cinnabon and Wentzel's pretzels that were calling me

IDK the nutrition on that but I am sure it was a better choice! GOOD FOR YOU!
  • cindytw
    Options
    I am Celiac and I smell the Auntie Annes and want to cave!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I wanted so badly to tear into the choc chip pancakes I made for the kids yesterday. They smelled so good. But I just sipped my coffee and moved on with my day.
  • kkimpel
    Options
    Man, bacon.. you are brave to make cccookies
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like this!
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If there was a 'like' button, I'd be liking a lot of these ;)
  • kkimpel
    Options
    I went on my walk today, and it was too cold.. so i came home. Checked my Fitbit, and when it didn't say that I met my goal, got my coat on and went to the gym.. because that's what I do.. :smiley:
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a coworkers birthday. She brought in bagels and cream cheese (which to me, when they're from a bagel store are better than donuts). I did not have any and completely forgot about them until this post. If I would have ate it, I'm sure it would have been on my mind all day feeling guilty.
  • sickandfat
    sickandfat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My sons loved my potato (real potatoes) salad. Well I am going to make them some for Thanksgiving but I am going to also make some cauliflower non potato salad for myself. I am going to encourage my sons to try it. Much better for us all. Baby steps are good!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Man, bacon.. you are brave to make cccookies

I'm the only lowcarber in my house. I have 4 kids. But we cook Keto and make them a carb side. They do have sweet limits (they get 3 sweet-tickets per week), but I do end up making cakes and cookies occasionally. The oldest one just had a b-day and another has one next week. I've been doing this 5 months and thankfully by now, it's no big deal.

I think it helps that I've been cooking for my carby-family the whole time. I'm just so desensitized to all the stuff I used to go nuts on.
  • LoraKay131
    LoraKay131 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    im in!!! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We're being lame and going to a buffet (none of us feels like cooking). My plan is: turkey, crab legs, a salad the size of my head, more crab legs, and a tiny dollop of sweet potatoes. Oh. And wine. And more crab legs.

And I'm starting the day with a run.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My husband has super high-carb, sugary sweets every night. Last night he ate brownies topped with caramel ice cream. I didn't have any and I never do. He ate that and I had salami, sliced roast beef, olives, and cheddar cheese. Mine snack was super yummy!

And to be honest, sugary foods made from grains actually make me feel horrible these days.
  • kkimpel
    Options
    We're being lame and going to a buffet (none of us feels like cooking). My plan is: turkey, crab legs, a salad the size of my head, more crab legs, and a tiny dollop of sweet potatoes. Oh. And wine. And more crab legs.

Crab legs.. yum
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Crab legs.. yum

I know!