Am I doing it wrong?

Options
I just cleared Week 3 of induction and I'm down 4.2 pounds.

I started off with a bang, lost 3 pounds immediately, then I gained back four when I ate a box of Atkins bars in two days. (I'm battling binge eating disorder. When I eat carbs, I eat them ALL.)

So I guess after having to restart, I just cleared Week 2 of induction... I'm not losing the large amounts of weight other people report.

I'm also afraid I'll never be able to leave induction. Like, if I go over carbs at all, I gain weight that day, regardless of the TOM.

If I stay at carbs I stay the same, and under I see a slight loss.

It's brutal and terrifying.

I don't want to live the rest of my life eating at induction. (I resent eggs at this point.)

Any advice?

So far Atkins is the only thing that I find works. I've been trying to restrict calories for six months, and I gained 10 pounds. When I restrict it creates anxiety that leads to like, 5,000 calorie binges.

(The good news is that I haven't binged on carbs in 11 days, which is like... it's a miracle. I've only made it this long once other time. The cravings are down, and when I want to eat it ALL I do. Just low and no carb stuff.)

But I'm just scared, you know? I'm not dropping fast and the numbers are fickle and delicate...

Anyone out there with a similar story who found sustainable success?

Replies

• jmarton1977
    jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    While I'm losing weight, my weight loss has been much slower than a lot of others on this site. It took me well over five days to get into ketosis and I do have to really watch my calorie counts or my weight loss stalls. It works but you have to be patient. Atkins isn't just about eating low carb - calories still matter and that's my guess as to what's going on.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It is still early days for you! Congrats on the 4lb loss, you are going in the right direction. Don't give up! Eat more fat to keep you feeling satiated, and you will lose the urge to binge eat.
    This post is good, explains what you can expect in this way of eating:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/684525/why-the-rapid-weight-loss-on-low-carb-induction-stops/p1
  • Lindseymofo
    Lindseymofo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good job on 4 lbs so far!!! From experience, I stay away from any atkins products, they cause me to stall big time. If you need to satisfy your sweet tooth, I would make things at home and use stevia to sweeten them! I make peanut butter cups out of coconut oil, stevia, pb and unsweetened cocoa powder...they taste great and are only about 1.5 net carbs. Also, how much protein are you eating? When I started Atkins, i was eating probably DOUBLE what I should be eating. I finally figured out the correct amounts of protein, fat and carb ratio that works for me and have been sticking to that! I have lost about 16 pounds over the past 5 weeks. If you need more help just ask!!!
  • fitnessfitness988
    Options
    Good job on 4 lbs so far!!! From experience, I stay away from any atkins products, they cause me to stall big time. If you need to satisfy your sweet tooth, I would make things at home and use stevia to sweeten them! I make peanut butter cups out of coconut oil, stevia, pb and unsweetened cocoa powder...they taste great and are only about 1.5 net carbs. Also, how much protein are you eating? When I started Atkins, i was eating probably DOUBLE what I should be eating. I finally figured out the correct amounts of protein, fat and carb ratio that works for me and have been sticking to that! I have lost about 16 pounds over the past 5 weeks. If you need more help just ask!!!

Hi Lindsey, I'm looking to start Atkins in April and I was just wondering if you could share the protein/fat/carb ratios which work for you? I have no idea how much I should be eating per day. Is something like 150g far too much?
  • fitnessfitness988
    Options
    *150g protein, that is.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When I started (this time) I had a 7kg (about 16lbs) loss in just 3 weeks... then my period came. in the end of it I was back up 6kg! I was devastated, but decided to take it easy... then I had a 4 pound drop yesterday, so don't weigh every day! that's the first tip. Once a week is good. The first bit you lose will be water weight, and some of it will come back after you adjust your water for to stave off dehydration (carbs hold water, as well as liver glycogen, which you will be getting rid of). SO don't let that discourage you. I am watching carbs AND calories. That seems to help over last time.

The Atkins products are bad news, plus they are processed. Do your macros and try to stick to them. I found I needed to up my carbs a little ( I was at 5% carbs for a month, but have recently upped them to 10% to see what happens. That still buts me at under 40 net carbs and I rarely reach that..) I did it because after a month I was still low energy, headaches and lightheaded (yep I have enough calories, between 1600-1800).

I am also going to try calorie cycling, where I eat different calorie goals each day, but they average out to my goal calories. That way I can have heavier days when I feel a binge coming on, and lighter days when I am feeling strong.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    jenh651 wrote: »
    I just cleared Week 3 of induction and I'm down 4.2 pounds.

I started off with a bang, lost 3 pounds immediately, then I gained back four when I ate a box of Atkins bars in two days. (I'm battling binge eating disorder. When I eat carbs, I eat them ALL.)

So I guess after having to restart, I just cleared Week 2 of induction... I'm not losing the large amounts of weight other people report.

I'm also afraid I'll never be able to leave induction. Like, if I go over carbs at all, I gain weight that day, regardless of the TOM.

If I stay at carbs I stay the same, and under I see a slight loss.

It's brutal and terrifying.

I don't want to live the rest of my life eating at induction. (I resent eggs at this point.)

Any advice?

So far Atkins is the only thing that I find works. I've been trying to restrict calories for six months, and I gained 10 pounds. When I restrict it creates anxiety that leads to like, 5,000 calorie binges.

(The good news is that I haven't binged on carbs in 11 days, which is like... it's a miracle. I've only made it this long once other time. The cravings are down, and when I want to eat it ALL I do. Just low and no carb stuff.)

But I'm just scared, you know? I'm not dropping fast and the numbers are fickle and delicate...

Anyone out there with a similar story who found sustainable success?

are you doing new Atkins or old Atkins? My guess is your doing new if your eating the y bars? Get your hands on one of his old books, really different program, it's not filled with all of those net carbs

• saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am the odd wad that loves the Atkins induction menu. No, that's not the blessing you might think. I can EASILY eat 3000 calories a day on this menu. CICO does count. I am still losing the same 5 lbs over and over.

That being said this WOE is definitely good for me. I am diabetic, and my glucose readings are in the normal range now. That's a major win!

But I still want to lose weight. I want more energy. I want better balance. I want new clothes!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how much I should be eating per day. Is something like 150g far too much?

1.5 to 2 grams per kg of ideal body weight. So typically 60 to 130 grams unless you're a tall male bodybuilder or something.

• saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just a note to say I'm losing again. Just stick with it--add a little fat, and some salt--it helps. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it's working. I have a little more energy. Still adjusting the "diet" to try to fit macros. That really helps, too.