WHEN did your hair loss start?

Options
vyvrhovat
vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
Just out of curiosity.. When exactly did some of you start noticing hair loss? 3 months, 6 months, 9?
I'm about to end my liquid stage, but I'm going to be really focusing on my protein and biotin intake more than anything else to try and avoid any thinning or hair loss, if that's even possible. I'm wondering how long I have to set my routine before I should expect to see it.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I can't even recall, my hair really didn't thin dramatically at all. I only know it thinned because my hair stylist said my hair is getting slightly fuller. I take Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins regularly and I make sure I get the minimum protein and then some. I think that helped a lot.
  • vyvrhovat
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I can't even recall, my hair really didn't thin dramatically at all. I only know it thinned because my hair stylist said my hair is getting slightly fuller. I take Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins regularly and I make sure I get the minimum protein and then some. I think that helped a lot.

That's my plan exactly, I'm happy to hear it helped you!
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just had this exact conversation with my doctor last week. He said that everyone will experience some level of hair loss and it may only be noticeable to you. He said you may notice more hair in the hairbrush or more in the shower. By getting your protein in in the first months is the best bet against a lot of hair loss. He said that the loss was not due to WLS specifically but to the shock your body goes through from losing large amounts of weight in a short time. He said if you've ever been pregnant , you lost hair then too as the pregnancy was a stress shock to your body. The hair loss should happen around month 3 post-op and continue through month 5. I asked about taking Biotin and he said I could take pills but I had to wait until I was a month out from surgery. My son is getting married when I will hit 6 months post-op and I am trying to do everything I can to prevent losing my hair for the wedding! LOL, some incentive.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Jemp, if all else fails save up for hair extensions or a wig :wink:
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    JEMP65 wrote: »
    Just had this exact conversation with my doctor last week. He said that everyone will experience some level of hair loss and it may only be noticeable to you. He said you may notice more hair in the hairbrush or more in the shower. By getting your protein in in the first months is the best bet against a lot of hair loss. He said that the loss was not due to WLS specifically but to the shock your body goes through from losing large amounts of weight in a short time. He said if you've ever been pregnant , you lost hair then too as the pregnancy was a stress shock to your body. The hair loss should happen around month 3 post-op and continue through month 5. I asked about taking Biotin and he said I could take pills but I had to wait until I was a month out from surgery. My son is getting married when I will hit 6 months post-op and I am trying to do everything I can to prevent losing my hair for the wedding! LOL, some incentive.

I agree with all of the above. 3 months post-op for me, too. I think it has to do with the shock of losing weight to the body (this also happened to me after the birth of each of my kids), and not lack of protein. I eat more protein now than I ever did pre-op.

You can also get small hair extensions that clip into your hair at Sally's. I have two small clips that I used to get a fuller look. They are cheap, and the Sally's people will help you match it to your hair.

A lot of people swear by Biotin/Keratin supplements. They didn't seem to do much for me. In general, one of the best things you can do is to just be as gentle with your hair as possible.
  • decoteaux1
    decoteaux1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started losing my hair around 3 months and now at five and a half months I've noticed that the hair loss has slowed down. I keep my hair up in a ponytail so that it's not so noticeable.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Mine started at 3 months. It's not at all noticeable, because I have a TON of hair, but it's annoying, finding hair everywhere! I had to buy a broom to sweep my bathroom everyday.
    I'm now 5 months out and it has slowed down significantly.
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    5 months for me, I think it might have slowed down some. The dermatologist recommended biotin, the follicles are not damaged just stressed out, she said she could see new growth. My solution at this point is, if I get a bald spot, I am shaving my head.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am pre-op and I lose hair all the time. I have lost hair for years. I am not looking forward to losing more, but I hope that it will all sort itself out in the end if I eat my protein and take my supplements.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I started losing hair around 3-4 months post op. It continued for about 8 weeks. It's disconcerting, but it does come back. My doc told me Rogaine can be helpful if you get bald patches (luckily I never did!)
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy. My hair is probably going to fall out anyway. I know that I have mentioned in my paperwork it lists Biotin to help fight it. However, we must also remember there are other things that can cause hair loss. One issue with us now is our iron intake and/or lack there of. Iron deficiency can cause anemia and a side effect of that is hair loss. Generally, women, thanks to their monthly visitor have low iron anyway, and now, with the surgery it's compounded because you aren't eating as much. Don't forget the iron is all i'm saying. I'm not sure if they do a Ferritin blood test, but it is something to think about. Just thought i'd toss that out there. Yes, I have had experience with what i'm talking about. I have to see a hematologist every month and he has actually told me more about b12 and iron than my nutritionist has and ran more blood tests also. That may seem odd, and my paperwork mentions iron and b12, but my hematologist has actually had a conversation with me about it.
  • vyvrhovat
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »
    I'm a guy. My hair is probably going to fall out anyway. I know that I have mentioned in my paperwork it lists Biotin to help fight it. However, we must also remember there are other things that can cause hair loss. One issue with us now is our iron intake and/or lack there of. Iron deficiency can cause anemia and a side effect of that is hair loss. Generally, women, thanks to their monthly visitor have low iron anyway, and now, with the surgery it's compounded because you aren't eating as much. Don't forget the iron is all i'm saying. I'm not sure if they do a Ferritin blood test, but it is something to think about. Just thought i'd toss that out there. Yes, I have had experience with what i'm talking about. I have to see a hematologist every month and he has actually told me more about b12 and iron than my nutritionist has and ran more blood tests also. That may seem odd, and my paperwork mentions iron and b12, but my hematologist has actually had a conversation with me about it.

I didn't even really think about the iron or B12, thanks! The supplements I've picked out practically have me OD'ing on the two, so hopefully that will help.
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    vit D also, my endocrinologist checked that for the hair loss

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose hair much if at all. I've stayed compliant with 75+ g of protein and tried to keep my food intake as hight as possible while still losing (1000-1200 cal/day). Maybe that helped. Maybe I'm just lucky!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    vyvrhovat wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity.. When exactly did some of you start noticing hair loss? 3 months, 6 months, 9?
    I'm about to end my liquid stage, but I'm going to be really focusing on my protein and biotin intake more than anything else to try and avoid any thinning or hair loss, if that's even possible. I'm wondering how long I have to set my routine before I should expect to see it.

3 months
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    and lasted 3 months. I expect it will take another year to get back to normal thickness
  • vanishingirl
    Options
    It started a little over 2 months for me, and I've been losing tons of hair for 6 weeks now.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Mine started around 2 months post op. I ended up having to get my hair cut shorter because I was losing so much hair. I have extentions now to give it some volume and with the amount I'm losing I'm expecting to need a wig before it stops.
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mine started at 2 months. I am at 3 months now, and it is still coming out by the brush full. I have naturally thin hair already. I am noticing thinner spots on the top/back of my head. My sister in law says you can't tell, but I can. Hoping it stops soon or it really will be noticeable.

My sister in law's NUT told her to use Rogaine. Have any of you tried that? The NUT says that the label is false and your hair will NOT fall out after discontinuing use, which was why I hadn't wanted to use it in the first place.
  • liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me month 4.5 - 5. It came out of nowhere and is disgusting how gobs of hair are everywhere!