What sweetners are clean?

Options
I'm new to clean eating. I'm just wondering what are clean sweetners? I would think honey would be okay. I have been using organic brown sugar in my oatmeal in the mornings because I don't know what sweetners are clean. What about Monk Fruit? I've seen Stevia mentioned in a few posts. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks!

Replies

• DanielleEscobar7
    Options
    Stevia is good, but a liquid stevia from a whole food store. Raw unprocessed organic honey is an excellent sweetener and it has other benefits. They say Bee keepers live the longest. agrave nectar is controversial, you have to watch what brand, how it was processed, is it organic. I've used coconut sugar its low in calories. Now I know you're using organic brown sugar but just because its organic doesn't mean its good. Before cane sugar is processed its brown in color, so when they process the sugar they either can get white refined sugar or brown sugar (they separate the color). you can also use beets and mesquite
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find the best solution to the sugar problem is coconut sugar for teas, coffees and things like that (I find honey for coffee just odd for my taste). For my personal point of view. I use honey to add sweetness to yoghurts, smoothies and oats as it has its own benefits too as food.
  • archiebrowns
    Options
    Sukrin and Natvia are good alternatives if your find the taste of honey off-putting. You could also try organic whole cane sugar.

Using almond milk can add sweetness to oatmeal too :)
  • dorkus619
    Options
    I'm not sure of the "right" answer either but I try to stick with:

Organic Raw Honey (solid at room temp)
    Stevia (switching to organic liquid after i use up what I have)
    Real Maple Syrup
    Organic Coconut Sugar
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I used to try to find ways to work sweets into my diet (organic ice cream, etc.) and finally realized how addicted I was. The cycle of craving is endless and maddening. I was doomed to fail. I watched some of those programs on Netflix regarding the effects of sugar on our systems and it has REALLY helped me cut way back. Often, I don't consume any sugar. Finding a true sugar free cereal was tough, finding a sugar free granola or protein bar was impossible, so now I make my own.
  • ArleneMobley
    ArleneMobley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If baking, bananas are a natural sweetner and dates ...very sweet.
  • shemama1
    shemama1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Has anyone baked with Coconut Sugar. I bought some, and thought I'd try it in my baking. Not sure if it's equal amounts either. Like 1C. sugar ='s 1 C. Coconut Sugar?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    For "clean," I'd go with honey or maple syrup. My nutritionist also suggested stevia, coconut sugar or date sugar. Of course, those are "processed," so it depends on what you're comfortable with, I guess? Personally, I use stevia sometimes (it has a weird after taste), unpasteurized honey, pure maple syrup, and coconut sugar if a recipe calls for granulated sugar.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    shemama1 wrote: »
    Has anyone baked with Coconut Sugar. I bought some, and thought I'd try it in my baking. Not sure if it's equal amounts either. Like 1C. sugar ='s 1 C. Coconut Sugar?

I have. I always substitute using equal amounts, but it's not as sweet, which is fine with me, but might not be for others with a sweeter preference.
  • birdstudios
    birdstudios Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dates. I soak them in water, make a paste by blending them for baking, combine with almonds & cacao & orange zest to make truffles, use the soaking water as a sweetener in coffee... They are pretty awesome!
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    organic cane sugar... organic raw unprocessed honey...
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I started using agave in my coffee, (could be considered processed?) but I find the more I eliminate white sugar the less I crave sweetness. I also use honey and maple syrup.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Dates. I soak them in water, make a paste by blending them for baking, combine with almonds & cacao & orange zest to make truffles, use the soaking water as a sweetener in coffee... They are pretty awesome!

These sound like great tips! Thanks for sharing!

• bjbrown9
    bjbrown9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    honey or maple syrup. In a pinch I'll use coconut sugar. I try to limit how much I use.
  • MetroDetroitMike
    MetroDetroitMike Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I generally avoid sweeteners as much as possible, however when I do use one I use Stevia. I did used to use brown sugar in my oatmeal, but earlier this year I switched to adding a half cup of fresh berries - blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.

I have come to view sugar consumption outside of fruits and vegetables as something to avoid. Keeping them my your diet makes managing macros more challenging when trying to hit all my daily recommended targets for things like fiber and vitamins.
  • juliedee20
    juliedee20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia but it has a weird aftertaste that I'm not fond of. Is the liquid Stevia any better? This stuff is expensive and I don't want to waste my money on something I don't like. I also use agave syrup but now I understand that's not the best. I use very little sweetener as it is, just a little in my coffee and oatmeal each morning, so maybe I should go with raw sugar.
  • texasmom2013
    texasmom2013 Posts: 64 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    For "clean," I'd go with honey or maple syrup. My nutritionist also suggested stevia, coconut sugar or date sugar. Of course, those are "processed," so it depends on what you're comfortable with, I guess? Personally, I use stevia sometimes (it has a weird after taste), unpasteurized honey, pure maple syrup, and coconut sugar if a recipe calls for granulated sugar.

Try the SweetLeaf brand of stevia. It's processed with pure filtered water and has NO aftertaste. They have the liquid Stevia, tablet Stevia, powder packet Stevia, and they have one that has been bonded to an unrefined raw sugar that you can bake with. http://sweetleaf.com They sell it in a larger bag in the baking aisle at Albertsons. The coolest thing about it is 1/3 cup of stevia/sugar blend = 1 cup of sugar.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions I cook with a bit of sweetener I use xylitol. You can bake & cook with product. One MFP member objected to ingredient sources, but xylitol teaspoon/day is part of my Lyme Protocol. Ideally it is made from birch sap (Ultimate Sweetner). We tap our own trees. Research different xylitol brand ingredients if you've concerned.

You really don't have any odd taste with this sweetner & claims are made for dental benefits.
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,826 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I get Xylitol at Sprouts...and use Nature's Hollow jams...made with xylitol. Jams sweetened with just fruit juice of course are better.