Constipation

Options

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    LOL, Im with you on this 1 Misty!
    I was a "regular," almost too much sometimes so Im all too happy to only be going so much.
    Besides, I know its just this way right now because so little is going in at this point.
    Im sure itll all be different as time progresses and Im able to eat full(er) meals.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It won't work overnight but the best long term solution for me was to add a multi strain prebiotic to my daily supplements.
  • TammyP64
    TammyP64 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bikrchk wrote: »
    It won't work overnight but the best long term solution for me was to add a multi strain prebiotic to my daily supplements.

^This^ I recently added this to my daily supplements and It has made a tremendous difference
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A woman I met at a weight mgmt. told me she takes GNC coconut oil chews and they work for her. I looked up the price--30 chews run about $1.00 each! You can get them when they have BOGO--I opted to buy capsules at Walmart--much cheaper. I will let you know if they make any difference.
  • wilrhy
    Options
    I also do smoothies with spinach or kale and some fruit --and I have tried many other things but they are not working well to move things for me!
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Miralax, or the generic equivalent works for me. I consulted with my clinic and got an Rx for it as well, my health insurance will pay for it then. The clinic told me I could use it as needed, that I would know when I needed to use it and that I didn't need to use it every day just on an as needed basis. There is no sugar in the product and it dissolves completely in water or any other beverage. There is no taste either. I like that. For me it helps add moisture and helps things move along just like they show in the Miralax commercial (here in the USA). They also assured me that it is safe to take with my current medications and supplements but anyone else should also check with their clinic before using this product.
    Since I return for follow ups regularly they told me they would be monitoring my various blood tests and would be able to keep a close watch on my numbers. My main problem was the dryness of things...having a little moisture helps. I didn't have problems "going" just had difficulty when I did go. I have also kept up drinking water every chance I get and increasing my fiber in my diet. (wheat thins fiber selects is one choice I make) Since I also joined a gym recently having more physical activity helps. All this combined is the recipe that I need to keep regular....whatever that means for my body. Again, be sure to connect with your clinic, they want to help you. Good luck!
  • wilrhy
    Options
    I increased my activity too---and the coconut oil caps worked!
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I add the "clear" fiber to my shakes, at least 1 serve a day. Generally I still need MiraLax (or its equivalent) at least once a week; Smooth Move tea (with Senna) when its really bad since its a stimulant. I also generally drink at least 1 gallon of water and "Calm" (a Magnesium supplement) every day which has the added benefit of helping with muscle pain. Most days I also add Chia seeds to my shakes (good fat + fiber).

In talking with my doctor and NUT, there doesn't appear to be much else I could be doing. Because I'm further along I have no problem getting in the "recommended" 20-25grams of fiber a day, but things are still slow.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I made up a batch of lentils and veggies and have been trying to have some every day. It has made a huge change in my regularity (for the good!).
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will say up front I have no idea what a doctor would say about this, but, in a bad situation maybe you could take some magnesium citrate? It's the stuff you take before you have a colonoscopy, or in my case before my VSG. Target sells it by the bottle. You maybe wouldn't have to take as much as your would for a procedure. I don't think you would want to do this on a regular basis, but in a case where you are really backed up and in pain, maybe?
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    mag citrate is a good idea. I just use the enemas. I'll check that out.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I love the vitafusion fiber gummies. I just take 2 every day
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mag citrate is a good idea. I just use the enemas. I'll check that out.

Magnesium Citrate is a very aggressive laxative. Very aggressive. I use it sometimes but not since surgery. You drink it and then you drink water water water water. Be careful with it you can end up with bottom friends that you don't won't. When I did use it, I had to use crackers to stop it.

Now, one thing that I also used that worked like a charm was Walmart brand prune juice. Now that stuff went through me like a tornado.

I did also add Miralax to a bottle of water everyday and you can also buy fiber tabs. I was worried about the same thing because I wasn't "normal" like before. I don't eat as much as I did before is what I had to realize. The body uses a lot of what you eat so don't expect it to have a great deal of waste leftover. Nothing has been the same since surgery lol.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 a packet of Miralax every day in my protein drink. I also added a probiotic each morning. It has definitely helped. I will say that it took about a week of adding those before anything happened. I also try to make sure I get in the 8 cups of fluids daily.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Author, Id try natural remedies because you don't want to cause harm/damage to your body by making/forcing it to go.
    Here's what I looked up:
    http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U146DF&PC=U146&q=natural+foods+for+constipation&src=IE-SearchBox
    Here's what I clicked on:
    http://www.activebeat.com/diet-nutrition/15-home-remedies-to-help-relieve-constipation/?utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=activebeat_bing_mobi&utm_medium=cpc&utm_keyword=relieve+constipation"
    When I was little my mom would give me prune juice but I hated it so she switched to the actual (dried fruit)...I loved it!
    You don't need to eat many of these for results and although they do come compacted in 1 container, they now also come individually wrapped for added freshness!
    There are a lot of natural foods that can help aid you in this situation.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »
    I wasn't "normal" like before. I don't eat as much as I did before is what I had to realize. The body uses a lot of what you eat so don't expect it to have a great deal of waste leftover. Nothing has been the same since surgery lol.

The problem I've got is the pressure is very hard on my back and can cripple me. I have a spinal stenosis and it's possible part of the problem is neurogenic which is why it's important that I keep 'moving', so to speak. I don't want to eat beans or too much fruit or anything because of the carbs which will stop any weight loss in its tracks. I lose so slowly now that I feel like I'm mostly going backwards. I have a ton of miralax and I need to come up with something that I can just add to my daily routine. The mag citrate is a good idea for emergencies. The problem is getting it to move along to the end point, then getting it out at the end point.

Gosh, this is WAY TOO MUCH information! LOL!

• JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Miralax or it's generic will work to help avoid constipation. Miralax was recommended by my surgeon for any post surgical problems.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem. I drink senna tea, it helps, but not always. When it is really bad I take Milk of Magnesia. I can imagine with spinal stenosis that it can be really painful, it is painful enough with out that issue.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »
    I wasn't "normal" like before. I don't eat as much as I did before is what I had to realize. The body uses a lot of what you eat so don't expect it to have a great deal of waste leftover. Nothing has been the same since surgery lol.

The problem I've got is the pressure is very hard on my back and can cripple me. I have a spinal stenosis and it's possible part of the problem is neurogenic which is why it's important that I keep 'moving', so to speak. I don't want to eat beans or too much fruit or anything because of the carbs which will stop any weight loss in its tracks. I lose so slowly now that I feel like I'm mostly going backwards. I have a ton of miralax and I need to come up with something that I can just add to my daily routine. The mag citrate is a good idea for emergencies. The problem is getting it to move along to the end point, then getting it out at the end point.

Gosh, this is WAY TOO MUCH information! LOL!

I think TMI went out with the surgery since we all have or have had similar issues especially about this. If use the Miralax every day like it's supposed to be used to will push it along. Remember, good carbs vs. bad carbs. Not all carbs are bad, especially those from fruits and beans. Also, I have a lot of trapped gas that moves out when I walk. Hopefully you can find something that gives you relief soon.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Per my doctor I used Miralax in the beginning. To avoid having to take it continually I try and eat salad several times a week and Triscut crackers. Triscuts and Wheet Thins are really high fiber I eat the Hint of Salt ones to avoid retaining water. So when I'm feeling like I need help, I will eat Tricuts or Wheet Thins several days in a row until the problem goes away. Like others said, we don't eat enough fiber any more, but between the crackers, salad and water, I've found I rarely need medicinal help any more.