plans for next year

Options
valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
Last year being very new to running I decided to do a 12 month race streak - a race a month for 12 months. I ended up doing 22 races - 5k's ( murder) 10ks, one 10 miler, two half's - both 1.56, two trail half's ( my favourites though much slower) finishing up with the big 26.2 ( 4.46). There was a few duathlons in there too.

So now I'm looking towards 2015 - goals so far lose 10lb Carrender's posts about Matt Fitzgerald have been really informative I have just ordered one of his books.

Race wise I'm thinking of trail half marathons I really enjoyed them and there are some lovely ones relatively close by. I found 5K's extremely hard so would like to go back and bit the bullet there again and I really want to do a fast 10k if I could get under 50 mins just once I would be delighted.

Carson was spot on with the advice in terms of the marathon - you need to have the miles in your legs I was too inexperienced doing the marathon this year but want to get the miles in throughout the year and go back and do the same marathon again. This year it was all about the finish line ( thanks Gillian for that advice! ) next year I would like to clock a half decent time.

The following year there is alot of talk around going to NYC and doing the marathon. I would love to do a trail marathon too but will see.

So thats me, typically all a bit vague at present, what about everyone else? all tips/ advice greatly appreciated as ever!

regards,

Valentine

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    My plans for 2015 are to continue healing my ankle/leg so I'm not taking advil everyday- I fully believe I'll be there in a month or so since it's already gotten better.
    I've already increased my cadence from 148bpm to 172bpm avg, I'd like to get it to 180bpm.
    I've got a winter 10miler and a winter half I've signed up for. There's a 15k I want to do that shares the course with the marathon I'm considering for 2016. Another 10miler I want to do plus a 25k ultra that's dirt road/asphalt. Plus 5ks to work on my time there lol
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    To stay injury free for the entire year (as opposed to 2014) and get back to logging 100 miles a month. Not big on racing but would like to run our local "Bridge Run 1/2" in the early spring.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You goals sound awesome!!! Fitzgerald's books have changed my running. I hope they work for you, too!

For myself:

One goal. Just one.

Sub 3 hour marathon!!!!!

That goal comes with some stepping stone goals like a 1:25ish half and some good training, but there it is. Maybe Boston 2015 but I think it is more likely for me Chicago 2015. I will go for it at Boston though. My plan is to run a 1:32 first half and decide from there if I want to hold for 3:05 or go for it.....all assuming training and simulators and half marathon go well :)
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    2015 will be the year of the Marathon for me, I signed up for my first one in May, the Vermont City Marathon, if all goes well I may sign up for a fall one. I also have signed up for some 10Ks, my annual charity 9k, and a half, 2015 looks to be a whole lot of running for me
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Stay fit, and get down to 75kg in time for spring. Focus on speed and getting parkrun time down before starting marathon training in Jan. Then Reading half and London full marathons in the spring. Then probably a couple of 10ks in summer before another half in the autumn.

Targets;

Parkrun 19'59 ( PB 20'04 )
    10k 42 ( 44'13 )
    HM 1'35 ( 1'41 )
    FM 3'30 ( 3'50 )
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm just picking up again after the knee problem that I've had, so that curtailed training for about 6 weeks. Part of the lesson there is to do a bit more cycling really.

So the main thinking at the moment is that there are three halfs and a 10K that I want to do in spring/ early summer.

Trail half on the South Downs, West Sussex in early March - Only 200 runners
    Hampton Court Palace half towards the end of March
    Local trail 10K in April - This was my first race earlier this year so I'm keen to try it again.
    Trail half down in Dorset in May - This is one of three events on the same day, so three years worth of racing to do all of them; Half, Marathon and 50K

Then probably easing back until September/ October when I'm thinking about marathon distance. There are two that I'm interested in and while I probably won't do both there are other events on the same days so I might do one of the others.

Salisbury 54321 is a set of trail 10K, HM, 30K, marathon and 50K
    Clarendon Marathon/ half marathon - This is the trail half that I did in October, where I knackered my knee. The latter half is apparently the tougher running, so I've already done that, recognising that I haven't done it after warming up for 21km.

I'm more inclined to do the Clarendon marathon so subject to confirmed dates I'll do either the 10K or HM at Salisbury
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    2015 will be a massive year for me. My first marathon in manchester is april 19th. I've just ran a 15miler at the weekend, the furthest ive ever been in one go.. and it was bloody hard.. first 8miles i had a terrible stitch but I kept going!

Looking at everyones plans it inspires me to have a look around for halfs!

Oh yeah and I get married in July - so excited :smiley:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I'm going to continue with building my base aerobic fitness and work on my 12k speed. I may go for a 50k Ultra in April, and possibly City to Surf Half Marathon or full.
    I have a target on a 12k night trail race, which is why I'm going to work on the 12k speed.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I usually don't post my "A" goals publicly, but I'm going to put it out there. I am hoping to qualify for Boston (3:45) in 2015. My main goal is to stay healthy and run 3 marathons: Charleston (January), Cincy Flying Pig or Pittsburgh (May) and Indy (November). I would love to go for the BQ in Charleston, but I'll probably just shoot for a sub 4 and hope to be able to do it in Indy. I think Pittsburgh and Cincy courses are too tough, so that one will be more for fun.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    2014 was the year of the marathon for me. I planned it from January 1, trained all year and finished my first Marathon 10 days ago (Philly on Nov. 23rd).

2015 is a year to go back to the shorter distances. I'd like to see if I can PR in the Half Marathon (current PR is from 2012 - 2:28:15)... I think that should be easily doable with the fitness I've gained from marathon training. If I can PR at the 10k and 5k as well, that would be great.

I also want to qualify as a Half Fanatic (with either two in 16 days or three in 90 days).

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    wombat94 wrote: »
    2014 was the year of the marathon for me. I planned it from January 1, trained all year and finished my first Marathon 10 days ago (Philly on Nov. 23rd).

2015 is a year to go back to the shorter distances. I'd like to see if I can PR in the Half Marathon (current PR is from 2012 - 2:28:15)... I think that should be easily doable with the fitness I've gained from marathon training. If I can PR at the 10k and 5k as well, that would be great.

I also want to qualify as a Half Fanatic (with either two in 16 days or three in 90 days).

Congrats on finishing your first marathon. I have no doubt that that will go a long way towards getting you a massive HM PR!
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    2014 was all about getting me up to half marathon distance my first half being on Sunday.

2015 I want to build my weekly mileage from 18/20 up to 35/40 miles to improve my 10k and half marathon times.

Happy running in 2015 everyone may you all remain injury free.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I will continue to focus on half marathons for the first half of 2015, with my goal race in April. I don't have a specific time goal yet, but I'd like to PR by several minutes (maybe sub 2:20?). I'll then do a 25k in May and another half in June. I think after that I will work on my 5k. I really want to get under 30 minutes, and was close this year without training specifically for it (30:35 and 31:20). I am also doing a winter 10k series in January-March, but those are just for fun.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Year of the marathon for me as well in 2015...Baltimore on October 17th...!!!

Ran an abysmal first HM on Nov 22nd, so I have a couple of those on the agenda for 2015 and am hoping to vastly improve my time at that distance. Have the Back on My Feet fundraising HM in March, Frederick Running Festival HM in May, and the Maryland Trail Running Fest HM, which will be my first trail Half, in August.

Would love to be a part of Team Challenge and do a destination HM, but not sure that's going to work out this year...not off the table completely yet though :smile:

Other than that...run faster, train better, slim down, and stay healthy!!

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My 2014 focus was training for my first marathon which was completed one month ago. I pushed too hard this year and haven't been able to run lately due to a possible stress fracture (which I probably already had before the marathon!). So now I'm taking a hiatus from running and in 2015 will focus on building back up again, but slowly, and at a slower pace. And I will devote more time to strength training, which I neglected most of this year. My plan is to start doing some ultras eventually. I just want to slow things down, get on the trails, and fall in love with running again. I lost the passion for a while during marathon training.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    2014 was a rough year from me. I was training for a half in the winter and came down with a nasty case of bronchitis that knocked me out of it for 6 weeks (so the half didn't happen). Then as I was just considering starting training for a fall, I injured my back and was out another 6 weeks. I am almost 100% from that injury now and have only really gotten back in to running at the beginning of October. With that being said, 2015 is going to be a big year for me. Right now I have a few road race 5k, a 10k (up and down a mountain) and a couple of halfs I am planning on doing. I also do some obstacle course racing (my passion) and I have 10 of those already booked. My husband loves trail running and I want to add some into my training and maybe try out a race or two. It is going to be a busy year.

Goals:
    Sub 30 5k
    Sub 2:30 half
    Stay injury free

• alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I'll run my first full marathon in 2015 (January 25th!). I have a few other races planned for the first half of next year, but I'll probably take a bit of a break from running as I check out other fitness options (I'm considering circus classes!). But who knows what'll happen after the marathon? :smile:
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My goal is to run a marathon in 2015. Ran my first half in September, plan on signing up for another soon. I work 6 11 hour days a week but also have week to month breaks occasionally. I'm an archaeologist and it's contract/ project to project based and very phyisically demanding, so training can be difficult! But I managed to train for the HM, I can do the full too! I would really really love to have more running friends on MFP, so add me please!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Wow, such great achievements and goals all around! Mine are far simpler. I had ankle surgery in February 2014 and spent most of the year struggling to recover and rehab. I'm still not 100%, but at least I'm running again. My 2015 goals are: get as close as to 100% recovery as possible, and stay healthy. I'm shooting for a sub 2hour HM, and a 25 minute 5k. Honestly I don't know if that's going to be possible, but I'm sure going to try!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Goals? PR all my distances again, and have a successful debut at my 50 miler in July.