What am I doing wrong? Help needed please.

Options
faw1001
faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
So I started 'quitting sugar', then progressed to Primal then to LCHF over the course of about 2 weeks while absorbing all the info I could get my hands on. I started this 4 weeks ago tomorrow and although I lost about 4.5 kg in the first couple of weeks, I gained back 1.5 of that last week and no loss so far this week :\
What am I doing wrong? I cut down my carbs in recent weeks. I am in Keto (according to my test strips). I have been increasing the amount of fat I eat and now I am watching how much protein I have too.
Any ideas? My diary is open.
P.S. also my muscles have no energy and my skins has turned to cr*p!

Replies

• mizaditude
    mizaditude Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    if your not in maintainance mode, why are you increasing your fat? You should only be increasing your fat once you've reached your desired weight so you wont continue to loose weight.

How have you determined what your macros should be? Here's a calculator if needed http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ but i use the macros that are based off of the findings of dr. phinney and dr. volek (i think thats the name)
    here's a link to that http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com/2012/08/23-long-term-stalls-weight-gain-even-on-a-well-formulated-low-carb-diet-dr-stephen-phinney/
    For weight loss, you'd want to stay towards the lower end of the fat intake. But you should make sure your hitting the min protein at the very least, but more is better.
  • faw1001
    Options
    mizaditude wrote: »
    if your not in maintainance mode, why are you increasing your fat? You should only be increasing your fat once you've reached your desired weight so you wont continue to loose weight.
    If I decrease my fat% I will have to increase carbs and or protein which is bad?

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

How have you determined what your macros should be? Here's a calculator if needed http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ but i use the macros that are in the optimal keto living facebook group.

If you decrease your carbs, you have to increase something to maintain the calorie level...
    faw1001 wrote: »
    So I started 'quitting sugar', then progressed to Primal then to LCHF over the course of about 2 weeks while absorbing all the info I could get my hands on. I started this 4 weeks ago tomorrow and although I lost about 4.5 kg in the first couple of weeks, I gained back 1.5 of that last week and no loss so far this week :\
    What am I doing wrong? I cut down my carbs in recent weeks. I am in Keto (according to my test strips). I have been increasing the amount of fat I eat and now I am watching how much protein I have too.
    Any ideas? My diary is open.
    P.S. also my muscles have no energy and my skins has turned to cr*p!

You seem to be getting a large portion of your calories from foods that are fairly empty, nutritionally. The last couple of days, you've basically been living off of cream (today, especially). Try to make sure you keep eating a variety of foods and include vegetables.

Aside from that, it sounds about right. If you're switching from a high-carb diet, then you're going to go through a phase where things may get worse before they get better. This is often referred to as "keto flu." It's basically a detox/withdrawal reaction, as sugar can be physically addictive. It will pass, just make sure you're drinking enough water, getting enough electrolytes, and eating enough.

Your muscles have "no energy," because your body hasn't yet adjusted to using fat as its primary substrate for fuel. It's still searching for glycogen that is no longer there. If you lift, you'll likely want to back off the intensity for a while, and work your way back up. It's kind of like a runner switching to minimalist shoes and a mid-foot strike -- they can't just go out and run their usual workout distance. They have to back off until they get used to their new "normal," and work back up again. In the long run, it can result in comparable (or even improved, depending on your metrics) performance, but you have to back off, first.

Your skin issues could be a couple of different things. You're not very specific about what "crap" means, here. Did you consume as much dairy as you're consuming right now? It's possible that you're sensitive to dairy, and the uptick in consumption is causing your problems. Dairy has been known to cause acne in people who are sensitive to it.

Additionally, various other skin issues may also be a result of the detox reaction. It's not unheard of for the skin to react when starting a now protocol. It should clear up in a week or two if this is the case. The skin is our largest organ, and one of the largest ways we get rid of waste and toxins and whatnot. Give it some time.

As for weight loss, your weight fluctuates on a regular basis. especially since you're female. It's very likely as simple as that it's a time of the month where you hold on to water weight a little more. It could also be simply because you've depleted the glycogen stores that your body was using the first couple of weeks (the depletion of which were what were causing the big weight loss numbers). A week, and even two, is nothing. Weight loss is not linear. Keep doing what you're doing, making only some tweaks to ensure you're getting proper nutrition, and don't freak out if the scale doesn't go down every single time you weigh yourself. The scale is only a small part of the picture.

Also, a note about the ketostix -- they show that you're producing ketones, but they do not show that you're using them (producing and using are two different things). In fact, if the urine keto strips are picking up a lot of ketones, that means your body hasn't begun to use them efficiently yet and is discarding them as waste. It's when the strips show a drop in ketone levels that you're likely actually using them. Blood ketone strips are more accurate (though they are expensive) and can give you an actual number of the amount of ketones floating around in your blood for your body to use.
  • mizaditude
    edited December 2014
    Options
    increasing your protein is not bad. But again if your attempting to lose weight your going to want to decrease fat as opposed to increasing it.

How tall are you? Weight? male? female?
  • mizaditude
    Options
    Also, do a search for "optimal keto living" on facebook, thats a great group with lots of helpful info based on research.
  • faw1001
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    You seem to be getting a large portion of your calories from foods that are fairly empty, nutritionally. The last couple of days, you've basically been living off of cream (today, especially). Try to make sure you keep eating a variety of foods and include vegetables.

Yea I have been using cream in my coffee instead of milk and I drink a fair bit of coffee. I used to eat as much dairy but all low fat, now I eat high fat dairy.
    I am aware I need to avoid packaged foods and I have been on the hunt for more recipes to get more variety into my diet.

My skin issues are pimples and dry skin. I have been drinking loads more water than I used to. I never used to get thirsty but I do now :smile:

Interesting about the ketostix. My tests have been low in the mornings but much higher during the day after eating.
  • faw1001
    Options
    I did the macros assessment and came up with:

1600 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    25 g Carbohydrates (6%, 100 kcal)
    66 g Protein (17%, 264 kcal)
    137 g Fat (77%, 1236 kcal)

So pretty much what I was aiming for
  • LoraKay131
    LoraKay131 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    wow, i just went and found the keto page on fb that mzaditude recommended, and reevaluated my macros, as well. big difference in protein. i am happy with this. thank you, msaditude, for the guide.
  • mizaditude
    edited December 2014
    Options

LoraKay131 wrote: »
    wow, i just went and found the keto page on fb that mzaditude recommended, and reevaluated my macros, as well. big difference in protein. i am happy with this. thank you, msaditude, for the guide.

Im glad you found it useful. In this group the consensus is that your fat shouldn't be higher than your protein in grams when your in weightloss mode because your eating fat but you also want your body to use the fat it already has to burn. If your eating a ton of fat theres no reason for your body to burn the fat from your *kitten* lol. They don't do the "eat more fat" thing because during weight loss fat is coming from your body and from the plate, not just the plate.
  • faw1001
    Options
    Im glad you found it useful. In this group the consensus is that your fat shouldn't be higher than your protein in grams when your in weightloss mode because your eating fat but you also want your body to use the fat it already has to burn. If your eating a ton of fat theres no reason for your body to burn the fat from your *kitten* lol. They don't do the "eat more fat" thing because during weight loss fat is coming from your body and from the plate, not just the plate.
    So you recommend eating equal protein and fat %'s with low carb?

• mizaditude
    Options

I go by the chart thats posted in the group, so i try to stay at the low end of that range since im in weight loss mode. But at this point, generally my protein is 100-120g and fat between 60-80g. Prior to decreasing the fat and increasing my protein, i wasn't gaining but i wasn't losing either. I increased my protein and gained 2 pounds initially but within the month i have lost a total of 5lbs, not including those inital 2 i gained. So it has helped me, personally
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I go by the chart thats posted in the group, so i try to stay at the low end of that range since im in weight loss mode. But at this point, generally my protein is 100-120g and fat between 60-80g. Prior to decreasing the fat and increasing my protein, i wasn't gaining but i wasn't losing either. I increased my protein and gained 2 pounds initially but within the month i have lost a total of 5lbs, not including those inital 2 i gained. So it has helped me, personally

Thanks for sharing that. It makes sense that the body fat burned (net loss of fat) would make up part of the % of fat. I started LC using mainly coconut oil for pain management and I am from 7-8 down to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. Now I want to start on losing weight aspect of LC. Ditched sugar and grains but it took to months to pull that off completely. Personal I think ditching the sugar cut pain levels the most. Being at 63 and years of yo yoing on traditional diets this time around is not as easy as before for sure.

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Thanks for sharing that. It makes sense that the body fat burned (net loss of fat) would make up part of the % of fat. I started LC using mainly coconut oil for pain management and I am from 7-8 down to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. Now I want to start on losing weight aspect of LC. Ditched sugar and grains but it took to months to pull that off completely. Personal I think ditching the sugar cut pain levels the most. Being at 63 and years of yo yoing on traditional diets this time around is not as easy as before for sure.
    Gale;

While it might "make sense..." at first glance, and appear "official" because it's posted on some facebook page, you and I are old enough to know that "things aren't always as they appear to be" <g>.

I have no doubt that the individual experiences described above are true and don't question those who report individual results that run counter to the "general recommendations".

So much of ANY dieting regimen is individual specific and determined to a large degree by any particular person's overall metabolic interactions that there simply is NO "one size fits all" and "general" recommendations must be viewed as "starting points" to be adjusted as necessary to accommodate the individual.

That said, however, one (or a relatively small group %-wise) of "outliers" does not change the "science" or the results of trials that define the consensus of opinion - nor does it change what is considered "best advice" for the majority.

Very few of the common wisdom recommendations are "hard and fast".
    Some will be able to reach (and/or maintain) fat adaptation at 35g/day, others require <10g. Some can remain in ketosis with protein intake above 125g - others will be "kicked out" at 60.

Fat adaptation will be established for some in a couple weeks, for others it will take 6 or more. And, if proper macro ratios are not arrived at (excessive protein for example) might never be achieved.

It all "depends".

Carb and protein levels, most would agree are based on firm numbers (specific number of grams - 20g carbs, 65g protein e.g.) the number remains fixed and only becomes a % for ease of comparison.

I'd not seen the chart referenced above but neither have I ever heard anyone quote protein recommendations based on "height" - it's ALWAYS a percentage of a weight which makes a whole lot more "sense". Opinions vary on the base measurement to use (LBM, "ideal/goal" body weight, current bw, etc) as do they on the multipliers but the "range" any of them provide is always much narrower than those depicted on the chart above.

Indeed, a change of as little as 5g's of protein has been shown to effectively halt ketone production when the increase exceeded the test subject's protein "resistance" level.

Rule of thumb (generalization) 55-100 grams is the range that "most" will fall in and when the proper level is determined - more is NOT better. (those engaged in "extreme" exercise levels excluded, at least intermittently).

There actually IS "hard science" behind the idea that INCREASING FAT (and thereby decreasing protein) DOES result in increased weight loss.

It's all about how the body "converts" food sources to energy and promotes (or inhibits) the production of ketones, glucose, fatty acids, and a whole host of others.

This article is a pretty good "mix" between the hard science and still being understandable by those of us not comfortable with all the "science lingo".

tinyurl.com/nwsktv3

Hope it helps.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    It seemed to be a good article but every article seems to have its own lingo. :)

2390 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Net Carbs (3%, 80 kcal)
    91 g Protein (15%, 364 kcal)
    216 g Fat (81%, 1946 kcal)

This is what www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/ came up for me. I am now looking at tweaking my protein up to see if I get knocked out of ketosis at the >91 gram mark since I had been low on protein and I recounted. I have read where for best health most will need 90-120 grams of protein daily.

I plan to cut back on my fat at some point if I can figure out if I am burning stored fat more. If I could lose a net pound of body fat a week that would be 500 calories from my on fat as I now understand it. I also know I do not need to eat at more than a 5-10 deficit calorie wise to keep losing weight.

To keep some science involved I try to change only one think in my diet and do it for a week or more.

I did a carb nite last Friday and gained 6 pounds some how but it was not from the calories alone. Felt so bad but today I have drank a lot of green tea and the water loss has increased it seems. I had been <50 grams of carbs for 2 month without exception.

Over the next six months I hope to learn what works best for me and if possible understand why. Thanks

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Professional-Breathalyser-Detector-Police-Digital-Breath-Alcohol-Tester/381065373751?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3Df14a5ef0454140efaeac22ec1ce1bb97%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121300767365&rt=nc

This is the type meter I use to determine if I am in or out of ketosis. The low end ones will measure alcohol, acetone, etc unlike the expensive ones that will only detect alcohol. Of course the readout is scaled for alcohol so it is just a relative reference to me. If I blow .02 then the next time .08 I 'assume' I am at a higher level of ketosis. The harder I work the higher the read out because I am burning more fat I guess. I have been using a meter like these for four months now. The two I am now using give different values but that is OK. If I get into some accidental carbs the numbers will drop some. After the one and only carb nite last week it took 12 hours to get a .0000 readout and a couple days to get over .02 readout.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Professional-Breathalyser-Detector-Police-Digital-Breath-Alcohol-Tester/381065373751?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3Df14a5ef0454140efaeac22ec1ce1bb97%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121300767365&rt=nc

This is the type meter I use to determine if I am in or out of ketosis. The low end ones will measure alcohol, acetone, etc unlike the expensive ones that will only detect alcohol. Of course the readout is scaled for alcohol so it is just a relative reference to me. If I blow .02 then the next time .08 I 'assume' I am at a higher level of ketosis. The harder I work the higher the read out because I am burning more fat I guess. I have been using a meter like these for four months now. The two I am now using give different values but that is OK. If I get into some accidental carbs the numbers will drop some. After the one and only carb nite last week it took 12 hours to get a .0000 readout and a couple days to get over .02 readout.
    Gale;

Funny you mention the breatholizer, Yar and I have been kicking around the Ketonix on another group and just tonight I dug out my old "home" alcohol detector meter.

Long story short, I "blew" a 0.02 and although I didn't take a B-OHB (blood) ketone reading at the same time, my last was 2.2 (solidly FA),
    which would appear to be a good indicator for your .02
    BUT......

My bride tried and blew the EXACT SAME 0.02 (again not simultaneous but her last blood was 1.1

Neither of us had consumed any alcohol in 24hrs (and only ~2 glasses of wine then) so we both "should" have blown 0.00BAC's

There were a couple other "variables" that we hope to get ironed out tomorrow or the next day and then test again but, so far at least, I'm pretty much convinced that any attempt to get anything any more definitive than "yup, it looks like there is "some" acetone in the breath which might indicate "something" as far as B-OHB goes" is not too likely.

I'd love to be proved wrong but remain convinced that blood testing is the ONLY way to go - do it "right" or don't bother doing it at all since the urine and (at least so far from what I've seen) the breath tests are totally useless.

As far as your "numbers" go, they look fine and you are exactly on track with taking it slow and changing one thing at a time.

I would revisit the "thinking of cutting back on fat...." thing, though.
    Might want to reread the section on

The case against getting energy from protein
    "We know, then, that dietary fats can produce all the energy the body needs, either directly as fatty acids or as ketone bodies. But, as there is still some debate about the health implications of using fats, why not play safe and eat more protein? "

There are better "sources" for "first hand" info but most of the conclusions are similar regarding the role dietary fat plays in the "grand scheme" of things.

Choice is yours (of course) and what matters most is that you find what works best for YOU.

I'm convinced you will - just keep at it and keep learning.
  • LoraKay131
    LoraKay131 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    aaaagh....
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Way I see it from your post;

- the initial 4.5kg loss was water weight, or mostly water weight. To understand why this is so, read up on glycogen.

- the 1.5kg regained was either actual genuine weight gain, or else water retention. Low carb doesn't invalidate calories in- calories out, in my opinion, but rather makes it easier to eat less and thus lose. If it's not weight gain from overconsumption, it may be water retention. That can occur if you've eaten enough carbs to refill your bodies glycogen stores, or for other reasons including hormonal/ stage in the menstrual cycle for women. If it's water retention, it will disappear as whatever caused it disappears.

- re: pattern of weight loss, actual weight loss does not happen in a nice steady fashion, but rather in fits and starts. This may be a factor here, just to be aware of.

- re: skin/ energy, I can't comment. Low carb does not agree with everyone, and this may be the case for you. Most of us get the low-carb 'flu' usually twice - first when we lower the carbs initially, and second a few weeks later often when our bodies transition fully to burning fat for fuel. If it's not this in your case, ie if it lasts more than a few days, I would suggest low-carb may just be disagreeable for you, which is quite normal in my opinion, as all diets disagree with some of us

Hope this helps. Personally I don't believe in any magical weight loss properties of low carb, aside from helping me eat less calories, and the first 30/ 35 of the 46lbs I've lost since May were all from eating lower carb. In fact I've returned to it recently to help me shed the remainder of the weight I wish to lose :smile:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Um...no....that's not the consensus of this group. If there's any consensus to be had (not everyone follows the same low carb program, here), it leans more toward fat grams should be at least that of protein, if not more, especially when talking about the portion of people who follow keto.

The point of keto is to have your body use fat as its primary source of energy. When you're in this mode, the body doesn't really care whether that fat comes from food or the body. If you feed it less than you're burning, being keto makes it easier to tap into your stored fat. The reason this doesn't happen on high-carb is because glucose is toxic outside of a small threshold, and is, therefore, the highest priority to deal with, so everything else halts (or close to it) while there's excess glucose to handle. Fat doesn't have that issue, so the body can pull it from wherever, at will.

My protein intake hasn't really changed all that much since I started decreasing my carb intake. I've always averaged around 80-100g. What has changed is the percentage of my calories from fat vs carbs. And yet, when I keep my carbs low, I lose weight, despite gaining weight on the same number of calories, but with more carbs and less fat, due to the insulin and glucose processing issues that come with metabolic disorder and PCOS.

When you keep your calories constant, you must increase one or more macro when you decrease one or more other macros. We're not necessarily talking increasing calories when we say "eat more fat." We're talking increasing the percentage of calories you get from fat vs the percentage you get from carbs.

You lose weight when you increase your protein, because protein is not a fuel macro, and using it for fuel is very inefficient. It takes a lot of energy to turn protein into glucose, and because protein is turned to glucose when used for fuel, it's counterproductive to the goal of ketosis, anyway. It's also hard on the body to do it that way, and can cause a myriad of other issues, especially when carbs and fat are reduced beyond a certain point.

If you're still convinced that eating more fat is counterproductive to weight loss, I encourage you to look at Dr. Peter Attia's charts for when he went ketogenic. His final breakdown included 88% of calories from fat, 3-4 times the number of grams from fat as from protein. He was also actual able to eat more food and still lose weight. So no, your hypothesis that you can't/shouldn't increase fat or eat more grams of fat than protein if you want to lose weight doesn't hold water.

Given the neurological effects of glucose on the body, that doesn't surprise me. Additionally, you've probably cut out foods that exacerbate inflammation (as grains are a common cause of issues, even among people without a Celiac diagnosis).

There have been numerous studies on the ketogenic diet for a number of neurological and neurodegenerative disorders, including migraines, epilepsy (for which the keto diet was originally created and used), Alzheimer's, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson's, ALS, and more.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/

I've personally found great relief from my periodic migraines/cluster headaches from ditching grains and reducing carb intake. I've also found that the pain from a couple of degenerating discs in my spine is generally lessened when I maintain lower carbs.

I've found LCHF to be easier than the more conventional ways of eating, especially when trying to lose weight. It gets easier with time, as you lose the carb/sugar cravings, and as you start falling into routines and building habits. It takes a while, but reaching for the full fat stuff will start to become second nature.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    deansdad101 I expect the ketone blood level would be the most accurate perhaps. $15 to know when I am in ketosis or not got my attention. :) I have not looked at the cost of a blood testing ketone system. The author of Carb Nite claims it is next to impossible to gain weight from eating too much protein but I still have a concern about my kidney health if abusing protein.

iloseityes low carb does not invalidate any factual laws of science I agree.

As to the low-carb flu I thought I was dying until I googled "death from coconut oil" and learned about the Herxheimer effect of kill off of the bad stuff in the gut. :)

Some people do low carb for things not weight related like trying to prevent vision loss from macular degeneration by way of the chaperone mediated autophagy that can get triggered when one enters a state of ketosis. It may help prevent cataract formation as well.