Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
r01aa92cz7jy.jpg

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    Options
    ^This quote was very profound for me the first time I heard JM say it. It's good to remember every day.

For December, I'm keeping things roughly the same. I'd like to finally set a weight loss goal of a couple pounds, but I don't think December is a good month for that and I dont want to set myself up for failure, so it'll wait til January, I guess.

Here goes...

1. Stick to cut calorie goal, on a weekly average.
    2. Nothing(!) before ab & glute work in the morning 3x/wk! No coffee, no wifi, NO THING!
    3. Full body strength per week. Usually 3 day split. Twice thru when I can.
    4. Calf and ankle exercises with weight 3x/wk.
    5. 10,000 steps daily 4x/week
    6. No chips M-Th.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome quote! I hadn't heard that one before.

1. We're doing a "hold out over the holidays" challenge at my gym. I weighed in the Monday before Thanksgiving and will weigh in right after New Year's, and if I haven't gained 2+ pounds I get a t-shirt. I will earn that t-shirt. Last year I lost 7 pounds during that period. Not planning on that happening again (although that would be amazing), but I would like to be at my starting weight or lower.

2. I've been doing really well at avoiding sweets (except for Thanksgiving Day), so I'm going to continue that. The exception is if my co-worker brings in his wife's chocolate chip cookies, which are like manna from Heaven. She only sends them into the office 2-3 times a year so I won't let that opportunity pass me by if it happens.

3. Since I'm on a running break on December, I need to stay focused on getting in good cardio to replace it. Last weekend I did a 60 minute run, so this weekend I did 60 minutes on the elliptical. I also did shorter runs 2 days during the week so I need to make sure I'm replacing that cardio too and not just darting home after my session with Jason.

4. Swim! I need to get more consistent. Working it into my schedule can be difficult with limited pool access, but I will go at least once a week and will try for 2. Day passes at the fitness center where I use the pool are half price this month so I'll stock up.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I really like having small, attainable goals. These habits are setting me up for success!

Her are my December goals:
    1. Eat something within 1 hour of waking up
    2. Move for at least 5 minutes every day
    3. Log all calories
    4. Be prepared by making breakfast/lunch/snacks the night before
    5. After a splurge, get back on track with next snack or meal
    6. Layout workout clothes every night (or set up bag if swimming or Pilates)
    7. Workout at least every other day
    BONUS: Check in on DWP

Healthy Holidays, Everyone!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I need to get myself back together, so for December I'm going to retrench and go back to basics.

I'm not running, not so much because of the cold, but the dark. I had it in my head that I didn't run much last winter due to ice. No ice to deal with yet this year, but I'm still not doing the regular running I have gotten used to ... so back to what worked last winter: stairs.

So I will do 3 to 4 mile runs when I have daylight for the next few months and every workday I will do my stair workout. Three to four times a day I will do stairs, about 200 steps up and then down, and then go into my cubicle and do easy body weight exercises and stretches. I generally don't improve my running doing this, but it does seem to maintain where I'm at. I also did a lot of swimming during the winter last year, too. This year I have the exercise studio, so I'll probably do that instead, and just do a little swimming. There is also the exercise equipment at the gym at work.

So for December:
    1) 30-60 minutes of activity per day, 6 days a week (running, stairs, fitness class, swimming, gym)
    2) Stay within my calories over the week; no exceptions

That's it.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

1. Stick to cut calorie goal, on a weekly average.
    2. Nothing(!) before ab & glute work in the morning 3x/wk! No coffee, no wifi, NO THING!
    6. No chips M-Th.

1. No chance of me pulling this off at this point. :( I am light years away from goal right now.
    2. Sadly, no. I did stuff 2 or maybe even 3 days, but it was halfhearted, not what was intended (except when I did the jumping jacks, which I did well, but it gave me calf problems. Sigh)
    3. So far, so good. Will hit tomorrow and/or Sunday.
    4. So far, so good. Will hit again tomorrow or Sunday.
    5. Success!
    6. Fail! But I don't even care. Chips satisfy me. I've lost weight on chips before. I don't really overdo it. My eating problems are not boiled down to chips. Even without the chips, I'd have problems staying in my cut goal. I'll address the other problems later.

Want to do better at #2. Canceling #6. Temporarily suspending #1 and will just have to see what happens, but the deal is that my weight workouts have to be maxxxxxed out in return for free-er eating...temporarily. Gonna live dangerously like that til the end of the year and assess the damage from there.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Laura6887 wrote: »
    That's an awesome quote! I hadn't heard that one before.

1. We're doing a "hold out over the holidays" challenge at my gym. I weighed in the Monday before Thanksgiving and will weigh in right after New Year's, and if I haven't gained 2+ pounds I get a t-shirt. I will earn that t-shirt. Last year I lost 7 pounds during that period. Not planning on that happening again (although that would be amazing), but I would like to be at my starting weight or lower.

2. I've been doing really well at avoiding sweets (except for Thanksgiving Day), so I'm going to continue that. The exception is if my co-worker brings in his wife's chocolate chip cookies, which are like manna from Heaven. She only sends them into the office 2-3 times a year so I won't let that opportunity pass me by if it happens.

3. Since I'm on a running break on December, I need to stay focused on getting in good cardio to replace it. Last weekend I did a 60 minute run, so this weekend I did 60 minutes on the elliptical. I also did shorter runs 2 days during the week so I need to make sure I'm replacing that cardio too and not just darting home after my session with Jason.

4. Swim! I need to get more consistent. Working it into my schedule can be difficult with limited pool access, but I will go at least once a week and will try for 2. Day passes at the fitness center where I use the pool are half price this month so I'll stock up.

1. It's been a rough week but it's early yet so I will still pull this off.
    2. Still no sweets!
    3. Been okay except yesterday, which I took off because I had a migraine. Will get in a workout on Wednesday (my usual rest day) instead.
    4. I went on Friday! I bought 30 half price day passes for myself, plus picked up 15 more that my niece will give me for Christmas. (It's kind of pain for her to get there so I offered to pick them up while I'm there. I'll give them to her and she'll wrap them for me and give them to me on Christmas day.)
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Options
    Here are the results of the first 8 days of Dec:
    1. Eat something within 1 hour of waking up: 7/8
    2. Move for at least 5 minutes every day: 6/8
    3. Log all calories: 6/8
    4. Be prepared by making breakfast/lunch/snacks the night before: 5/5
    5. After a splurge, get back on track with next snack or meal: 2/2
    6. Layout workout clothes every night (or set up bag if swimming or Pilates): 6/8
    7. Workout at least every other day: YES
    BONUS: Check in on DWP: 3/8

That’s an 82%! Not bad, a solid B. I printed out a weekly chart to check off all of the goals daily—it helps! Trying to keep my eyes on the prize :)
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

1. *
    6. *

Last week turned out worse than I thought wrt these goals, especially considering I was feeling very positive about the week.

I had suspended #1, to eat within my goal. I've totally changed my MFP & Garmin setup with regard to calories. I'm basically shooting for about 2500 calories per day regardless of exercise & activity. Giving my body a break. I think my metabolism was slipping a bit.

#2 was a total failure. Although I've come to grips with the fact that I've become terrible about exercising regularly at home (besides the random plank and squats, etc), I also don't like doing these particular exercises at the gym either. I almost always tell myself, "I'll just do those at home." :-|

#3 got this one, which is the most important of all right now.

#4 no, I didn't get them done that often. I need to be doing more to fully rehab. But I'm still feeling MUCH better and rarely have pain.

#5 somehow managed to fail this one this week, which is strange. It was a rainy week, with DH running his butt off for one particular customer, leaving me stranded with lil girl at home.

#6 cancelled

I still feel pretty good about the direction I'm going right now. Eating more has helped me feel much more positive and will help me to figure out what my metabolism is actually capable of. My gym workouts have been going well. I'm looking forward to changing it up come next Fall when lil girl starts school, but for now, I'm happy. I'm looking forward to slowly adding running back in, but have come to terms with taking as long as necessary to rehab before restarting.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Options
    I don't want to tabulate and quantify exactly how poorly I did last week so I'm going to dust self off and move on!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Me, too, April
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    1. * suspended
    6. * cancelled

2. Utter failure. Still did the odd squats and push-ups sit-ups etc, but nothing regular. I know that this isn't working for me and I know I need to get on with barbell compound exercises so it becomes less of an issue. I've been waiting a long time for lil girl to start school when I can hit the gym during off hours, but I'm becoming impatient and thinking of getting trainer sessions so that I will be certain to get to the weights/rack/bench during my limited time. I only have about 45 minutes and the weight section is always packed. But with a trainer, it'd all work out within the timeframe of the session--the trainer would ensure it. Idk, maybe I should mention it to Santa. Idk.
    3. Pretty much got this. Going back tomorrow.
    4. Nope. But I've added quite a bit of weight to the reps and I think it's okay to do it with so much weight less often, BUT I should still do it bodyweightonly more often. It is for running, and running IS an endurance sport, duh.
    5. Fail, and this is the worst. I feel more negatively impacted by being a slug this week than anything else. Getting those steps is super important, so I have to stay on top of this.

Between the rain, t.o.m., catching cold, and son's TV commercial shoot, and school grades/teacher meeting this week, it was a very irregular week.

Still eating more for awhile to see how that goes. Since it was t.o.m., I'm not paying attention to my weight this week, but will check for change next week or so.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Well, December was a crazy month for me. I did a complete about-face in strategy and am not sure where I stand. I'm not really looking to see how I did this past week, so much as to look ahead to January. But for giggles:

2. Fail
    3. Win
    4. Fail
    5. Fail

LOL!

To help me "talk through" what i'll do in January, here goes.
    So, I'm going to keep my calories high, but maybe not as high as they are. Wherever I land, I want to be consistent (as in, hitting the goal EVERY day, not under). So I need a calorie goal that I can live with psychologically. Except for the two day holidays, I've been at 2800 and it can be challenging at times. I'm thinking maybe I'll bump down to 2500, but I kinda want to see what my weight did during my Christmas week before I decide.

Key to keeping calories up will be HITTING THE GYM. I still like my 3 day split and that I can always consolidate to 2 days if I need to. I've even come to terms with hitting the whole body only one time around per week. However, I'm *considering* getting some trainer sessions at the gym for help with barbells. I figure that's a surefire way to make sure I can get to the squatrack, benches, etc within my limited time, because I'd have a 1 hour trainer session, so he could be the one to negotiate with the mob of lifters (speaking Greek), so that I can get my workout. Still just a rough draft plan though. Gotta talk to the trainer and try to get a good package deal.

I want to continue to do my calf exercises as regularly as I can. I might make extra trips to the gym for just that, since I've added weights and kinda need the calf machine for that.

Percolating some ideas for abs and glutes. Thinking I need to simplify and stop getting so bogged down with big, grand plans.

Starting to run at the very low end of the scale and ready to stop if I have ANY problems. Right now, I want to run 1/2mile portion from the gym for a week and increase it a little and do that for a week, and so on. So far, I'm worried. I still feel like my calves could turn on me at any time. Trying not to get sad and defeated. I miss running so much, and if I have to wait, I'll wait. I also am hoping DH can pick me up some new shoes when he goes to USA in January.

Regarding steps, I totally slacked off that towards the end of December and I really need to keep my general activity level up. I would like to continue to shoot for 10,000 steps 4 days per week. It seems like when it rains it pours. When everything is normal, I'm getting far more than that far more often, but when the schedule shifts due to school or illness or weather, it bottoms out completely.

Lastly, DH may be gone for 10days or so in January and that is always challenging, so I'll just have to be ready to roll with it.

Also, December is ending and so is 2014, so here's this...... :)
    l688464018.jpg