12 hour post-op

Options
memtester
memtester Posts: 10 Member
Hi all

I had my bypass (went for mini-gastric bypass in the end after much research and several posts on here) this morning - about 12hours ago. Just thought I'd post to let anyone considering surgery just how straight forward it can be. I honestly can't believe how pain-free it has been. 5 hours after the op, I was out of bed sat in my chair using my iPad. It's incredible. Obviously some people have it a lot harder, and my heart goes out to those who have problems after surgery, but I thought it might help reassure people to know that it can go so smoothly.

The only discomfort I have is a dry mouth. I'm only allowed to sip at a glass of water for first 24 hrs and the quantity is limited. I've got a few sips left of this glass and cant have a refil for another hour LOL. Apart from that I feel great.

I'm now so looking forward to my new life and will keep posting my progress. The mini-gastric bypass seems uncommon on here so it will be interesting to have weight loss figures for comparison.

My highest weight was 401lbs
This morning I was 365.

Main target is to lose substantial weight for 1st August 2015 when I'll be marying the most wonderful girl in the world :)

Op was carried out at Spire hosptial in Washington, UK. I would definately recommend the place to anyone considering it - everyone has been outstanding.

Feel free to friend me.

Thanks,
Fran

Replies

• ReginaKeat
    ReginaKeat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congrats from the colonies.
    Wishing you well on your journey.
  • LORI35pittsburgh
    LORI35pittsburgh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    my mouth is always dry from my meds... i wonder if they will let me use bio teen rinse or spray. got to mark down that question. congrats. i sent you message and friend request.

lori
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing terrific! Congrats!!!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Yes, the first day I could only suck on ice chips and I was so happy when they brought that first drinkable water for me!

Welcome to your new routine, so glad the surgery went well for you!

Rob
  • 5555price
    5555price Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a smooth surgery. You are lucky, my surgeon wouldn't let me drink anything for 72 hours. That was actually the worst part of my surgery was nothing to drink, not even to rinse my mouth out...
  • memtester
    memtester Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. I've had a really great time of it. Just water to drink today, limited to a litre for the day but i'm pacing myself ok and have no dryness. Was able to get up and shower this morning which was great. I have to try some puree food in the morning, and if I'm okay with that I'll get to go home in the afternoon.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was like you Price, I remember sometime in the early AM (4ish) telling them several times how thirsty I was.
    I finally asked if I could at least brush my teeth so I could refresh my mouth, that alone felt nice!
    The reason for not being allowed anything to go into my stomach was because I had to have a leak test done (the next day).
    In hindsight I didn't really know just how sensitive my new stomach would be because when I was finally allowed liquids, they just came back up.
    We weren't allowed to shower for 72 hrs...nurse gave me a bed bath the day I was released and I did the same thing during that time.