Did you really....

Options
.... put the itty bitty 2.5's on the bar for the bench or did you use the 5's the first time you added weight? I know we are supposed to check our ego at the door..... buuuuuut... ??? Fess up, who added 5 # instead?

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    actually I did my first bench press set with just the bar.

Then I went for the 10lbs right away because wow, that was light xD (I had been doing bodyweight stuff for 2 years and then some already. Push-ups at 200lbs means some decent pressing strength)
  • SouthernDaisy4
    SouthernDaisy4 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I meant the first time you added weight to the bar :) I used the nekkid bar last Monday, but I am just trying to picture those tiny plates on there. I know I will be very grateful for them in the very near future, but 45 wasn't hard and I was considering jumping.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    For bench? No... I started bench before SL by a couple of weeks so didn't go back to start with the bench, though first couple gym sessions that bar felt pretty heavy. So, day 1 when I decided to go ahead and start things, I had 10 lbs added. I hadn't lifted in years (like almost 10 really for free weights) before starting at the gym not long ago.

OHP, however, I did 1 set today with the tiny 2.5's and yeah, they be little but prove quite the weight in certain circumstances. Then again, I barely can do 5x5 with just the bar for OHP but i'm at 70 for bench so far. *shrugs* But not I just add the 5 each time, we'll see how 75 goes Saturday.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I put on the 2.5s and laughed so loud everyone in the gym looked at me. :) They look hilarious. But that's what I started with -- screw anyone who judges.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i used them on bench and i probably deadlifted with them at some point. just used them again this past week for the overhead press. sure they look silly, but y'know . . . my shoulders are fragile. i've already gone through a couple of phases where i overreached myself on the squats and ended up harbouring some kind of small injury for a couple of weeks, and then trying to work my way back. there's nothing quite as silly as having to rotate your whole body like a dalek because you've given yourself a neck pinch, for instance. or having to walk like a duck so you can favour one knee.

so to me, yeah i feel silly with the little why-even-bother sized plates on the bar, but hey - 5 pounds is more than 10% of the bar weight alone. in relative terms it's far more impressive to add fractionals to a naked oly bar than when you've already got bigger plates on it. and i think i've decided i feel silliest of all wandering around the gym in those times when i've damaged something, making half-assed tries at various lifts and just giving up.

fractionals are a point i have to go through to get to the next place past them. and in the grand scheme of your life, what's however long it takes you to do 25 reps of some lift? that's pretty short-term mortification really.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Also, I plan on putting my tiny little 1.25 lbs. plates on the bar for my first step up in OHP now that I'm finally there. I'll take a pic for you gals. :smiley:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    yeah, besides . . . 2.5's might be small, but they're not as small as my boobs. size ain't what counts, right? it's how you use it :D
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I use the 2.5s all the time. I feel lame but what can you do?
    I need to get the 1.25s, too.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    lol, that was the first time I did Bench Press altogether. I went straight for 10s (wasn't doing stronglift at the time). I've used the fixed bar and the 2.5s alone on the oly bar for OHP though. They do look silly. But not as silly as thoe guys who stack on plates and then can barely move their bar ;P
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I think I put 5s on by accident. Oops.
  • SouthernDaisy4
    Options
    thanks ladies. ;)
  • SouthernDaisy4
    Options
    LOL Canadianlbs!
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    2.5 plates look pretty big compared to the 1.25 ones I bring to the gym. I'd like to get some .75 plates for OHPs if they exist...
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think I posted the first week I was doing SL and was like, "Uh, this seems too easy, should I add more weight?" And someone wise (can't remember who) was like "TRUST THE PROGRAM". And I did, to include using 2.5 lb weights and feeling like a dork.
    I've just kind of gotten to the point of eff it at the gym. I do not care what others think anymore, because stuff is HAPPENING, son.
    This morning I put the 45s on my squat bar and pwned it. Come Monday it will be the 45s PLUS the dinky 2.5s. Anyone who has a problem can suck it.
  • SouthernDaisy4
    Options
    Adding them to other plates doesn't strike me as funny at all... Just when you *only* have them. It's more I am going to have to look up at them on the bench and try to keep a straight face. LOL. I

@ Nancy If people glue the big washers from Home Depot together to get (I think) 2 lbs and some change, you could surely just use half the number of washers to get clost to .75.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks summerdaisy!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Probably not on the bench press, but I still use them on the dreaded OHP. Just can't get anywhere on that one.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Selfishly, I'm kind of glad to hear others aren't going anywhere on OHP either!

I totally rocked those 2.5's. But I agree, after a few weeks, I don't really care. The turning point for me was seeing a woman that was literally stick thin in Target and thinking "I wish I was thin like that", and then I thought "But I can lift heavy stuff, yo." Things are happening, so I don't care if people are judging.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I knew what you meant. I'm saying that there are lots of folks on here who started out with the 2.5s.