Interesting Soups?

Options
cindytw
cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
I am looking for different soups to make. I usually make 1 a week in the fall and winter and freeze them for easy go-to meals. I am looking for different ideas, I can make a regular chicken soup in my sleep, literally! I am gluten free and Paleo so it has to be adaptable (like I can just leave out pasta).

Replies

• irwinka64
    irwinka64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    this kale soup recipe is one one of my family favorites, and versatile too
    you need to blanch and chop the kale before adding to the other ingredients.
    My mom cooks meat tortellini to add to her bowl. My niece has replaced the water with 4 cups half and half to make it creamy.
    i can eat soup every day!

Kale soup Servings 8 big bowls- calories per serving 291

3.00 tsp. (5g), Chopped Garlic
    1.00 cup, Raw onion
    2.00 Cup, Baby Carrots
    1.00 tablespoon, Oil - Olive
    8.00 cups, Fresh Raw Kale
    1.00 can Cannellini Beans
    1 lb Raw chicken breast, cubed
    3 links (66g) ea.), New Orleans Andouille Sausage, sliced
    1.00 cup chopped, Celery - Raw
    6.00 cup (8 fl oz), Water -
    1.00 container (4 cups ea.), Chicken Stock
  • cindytw
    Options
    I got one great one off Pinterest since no one had any new ideas for me...Dill Pickle soup! noblepig.com/2013/03/dill-pickle-soup/
  • cindytw
    Options
    boyank1188, that is not most things I can have, and is not different or new. Sorry thanks though.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I made an easy squash soup. I halved, cleaned and roasted acorn squash (you can use butternut or whatever else). I scooped out the inside and pureed it. Put it in a saucepan and added salt and pepper and chicken broth (you can add veg. broth or water as well) until desired consistency. I then added a tablespoon of brown sugar and a dash of nutmeg. It was really yummy and filling. You can also add some low fate or fat free cream cheese or yogurt to make it creamy.

I am making this as a first course for T-giving with butternut squash and sweet potatoes. I figured it's a healthier way to have our sweet potatoes!
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cauliflower works well as a soup base, just steam/boil and puree. Then add stock or milk and meat for flavour. I like adding lamb leftovers from a roast. It does need a bit of salt, and a sprinkle of cheese on top also does wonders.

in a slow cooker a tin of tomatoes, stock, and meat to slow cook such as gravy beef with herbs, beans/lentils and vegetables can be a stew one night, and freezes well to dilute for a soup. Just dont freeze it with potatoes in it, they are a bit yuck thawed out.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Thanks MADgical72, and Apicius. I did find some things to suit my need for different. Ham and Cabbage Soup (just like it sounds with ham or chicken stock, carrots, onions, peppers...potatoes if you at carbs). Also the dill Pickle I mentioned and Cabbage meatball
  • Buddyrufus12345
    Options
    hey im new here im doing this for a physed project
  • jr4fl
    jr4fl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to make stuffed cabbage soup. I used gr turkey and rice and tomato puree and cabbage, spice can be upped but I just salt and pepper. Add a bit of stevia to sweeten (like my mom's stuffed cabbage. This then simmers for a couple of hours prior to adding rice - then add rice for 20 minutes and presto - not all the work of stuffed cabbage and tasty thick soup. freezes well and can sub the meat as you desire - my family made stuffed cabbage with pork so turkey is a great light substitute.
    -
  • jr4fl
    jr4fl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also take my stick blender into a basic soup and will ship it to get the essence of creamed soup - have used cauliflower and then stir in a pack of stir fry veggies (fresh) to enhance the texture of the soup.
    - seasoning based on type of veggies. I also and someone who loves sausage and have found that using fennel seed in things is changing the tast to be like sausage with no calories - a win for my taste buds.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I add fennel seed,garlic & Italian seasoning to the leanest ground beef.Make into tiny meatballs & freeze......so easy & tasty added to soup.
  • cindytw
    Options
    I had a really amazing pumpkin soup in Jamaica with chicken meatballs! It was soo good! Flavored with some sage...

Thanks for the input
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My version of pickle soup has no cream in it ... it comes from eastern European origin and is very popular in both Polish and Russian cuisine. A Ukranian friend of my moms made it on chicken drumsticks, and floated sliced dill pickles on top, (which I actually prefer but didn't have the recipe for) This version shreds a jar of dill pickles ...

soup/gxdc3q7736ks.jpg

follow this link for the Polish version where the pickles are shredded.
    http://soupandbread.net/2010/04/13/pickle-
  • janicejean1953
    janicejean1953 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How about a healthy black bean soup?
    BLACK BEAN SOUP

INGREGIENTS

• 2 cans (16 oz) black beans (pre-cooked, canned) drained and rinsed.
    • 1 jar (16 oz) salsa
    • 1 cup chicken broth (unsalted)
    • 1 teaspoon Chipotle or Cumin
    • Sour Cream and/or Jalapenos if desired, but not required
    • 1 cup Corn if desired

1. Using food processor, puree one can black beans.

2. Add in salsa, chicken broth and cumin or chipotle. Blend on slow setting for about 5 seconds (unless you want the soup very smooth, then blend longer).

3. Pour into pan and bring to simmer.

4. If adding corn, add 1 cup.

5. Add in 16oz of pre-cooked can of whole black beans. Let simmer for a few minutes to warm up beans or to unthaw frozen corn (if corn is frozen when added)

6. To serve, you may add dollop of sour cream and, if desired, jalapeno peppers.

7. Serve as is or with bread, tortilla bread or tortilla chips.

What I love about this recipe is that it is quick and so easy. Once everything is done and in the pot you really only have to heat it up. No "cooking." Also, a great recipe to "change" things up. You can add corn or other ingredients that you like. Good in a bowl as a soup or you can place in a wrap to wrap it and add a spinkle of cheese like a burrito. ENJOY
  • cindytw
    Options
    BLACK BEAN SOUP

INGREGIENTS

• 1 jar (16 oz) salsa
    • 1 cup Corn if desired

2. Add in salsa, chicken broth and cumin or chipotle. Blend on slow setting for about 5 seconds (unless you want the soup very smooth, then blend longer).

5. Add in 16oz of pre-cooked can of whole black beans. Let simmer for a few minutes to warm up beans or to unthaw frozen corn (if corn is frozen when added)

6. To serve, you may add dollop of sour cream and, if desired, jalapeno peppers.

What I love about this recipe is that it is quick and so easy. Once everything is done and in the pot you really only have to heat it up. No "cooking." Also, a great recipe to "change" things up. You can add corn or other ingredients that you like. Good in a bowl as a soup or you can place in a wrap to wrap it and add a spinkle of cheese like a burrito. ENJOY

Thanks, I can't eat black beans or corn though! The last time I did, it had swift repurcussions! Someone else might benefit from that though!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Roasted red pepper soup is one of my low cal favorites. I sautee onion, diced carrots and garlic is olive oil. I add a large can of whole peeled tomatoes (not drained) and a small can of roasted red peppers drained. Add seasonings like (I use dried thyme, basil, salt, pepper). After it's simmered, I puree in food processor. If it's thick, I add a broth or water.
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    BLACK BEAN SOUP

INGREGIENTS

• 1 jar (16 oz) salsa
    • 1 cup Corn if desired

This sounds good! Thank you. Do you know what the calories per serving are?
  • MeowMix66
    MeowMix66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lentil-Ham Soup -Slowcooker Version
    http://www.recipe.com/lentil-ham-soup/

Ingredients

3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    3 cups water
    1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
    1 1/2 cups chopped celery (3 stalks)
    1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrot (3 medium)
    1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
    6 ounces cooked ham, diced
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
    3 cups shredded fresh spinach
    1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved

Directions

1. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine broth, the water, onion, celery, carrot, lentils, ham, and thyme.
    2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
    3. Stir in spinach. Ladle into bowls. Top each serving with Parmesan cheese. Makes 6 servings.

nutrition information
    Per Serving: cal. (kcal) 186, Fat, total (g) 2, chol. (mg) 14, sat. fat (g) 1, carb. (g) 26, Monosaturated fat (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, fiber (g) 12, sugar (g) 4, pro. (g) 17, vit. A (IU) 64.14, vit. C (mg) 9.45, Thiamin (mg) 0.33, Riboflavin (mg) 0.14, Niacin (mg) 2.37, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0.29, Folate (µg) 201.59, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0.06, sodium (mg) 849, Potassium (mg) 569, calcium (mg) 90.87, iron (mg) 3.06, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • cindytw
    Options
    MeowMix66 wrote: »
    Lentil-Ham Soup -Slowcooker Version
    http://www.recipe.com/lentil-ham-soup/

Ingredients

3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    3 cups water
    1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
    1 1/2 cups chopped celery (3 stalks)
    1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrot (3 medium)
    1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
    6 ounces cooked ham, diced
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
    3 cups shredded fresh spinach
    1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved

Directions

1. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine broth, the water, onion, celery, carrot, lentils, ham, and thyme.
    2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
    3. Stir in spinach. Ladle into bowls. Top each serving with Parmesan cheese. Makes 6 servings.

nutrition information
    Per Serving: cal. (kcal) 186, Fat, total (g) 2, chol. (mg) 14, sat. fat (g) 1, carb. (g) 26, Monosaturated fat (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, fiber (g) 12, sugar (g) 4, pro. (g) 17, vit. A (IU) 64.14, vit. C (mg) 9.45, Thiamin (mg) 0.33, Riboflavin (mg) 0.14, Niacin (mg) 2.37, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0.29, Folate (µg) 201.59, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0.06, sodium (mg) 849, Potassium (mg) 569, calcium (mg) 90.87, iron (mg) 3.06, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Oh, how I miss soups like this! Darn digestive issues! Hope someone else can use this!