December Chat

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    sudofarr wrote: »
    "I did it! I am now "overweight." No longer morbidly obese, or any kind of obese.
    Congratulations! I know what you mean, because I'll rejoice when I get to that point. Keep up the good work.
    Janet
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Janet: Glad you found us! As I told you, you will like it here!

Joan: Started at a 20WP. Now at a 12P. Still have a ways to go. You all keep me focused though, so I can do it!

Sudofarr: It really is relative. I now want to be sooooo careful not to add any weight and see obese again. But, since I am the Queen of Lose/Gain/Lose, I'll be lucky if that doesn't happen!
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Welcome Janet! I'm new here too, isn't it great?!!

I made a big move today by joining a new gym that will also be a new experience for me - a women's gym that focuses on classes and small group training versus solitary exercise on equipment (although they have all that too). They also have weight loss groups. There are 40 classes a week they run on a rolling basis throughout the day so you're almost bound to have an option.

Sayonara to my old gym - the chief appeal of which was my $5 membership, thanks to my medicare plan. And goodbye to its chilly indifference and muscle men.

Wish me luck!

• learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My hat is off to you bvifun and gmcharlie! Good for me to read this today, with a party tonight and two tomorrow; lunch and dinner! If you did it, I can too. I will remember your posts, that will encourage me. Thanks for that! Joni
  • DamitJanit
    Options
    Hi, Joan and welcome. There is such a great group of ladies here and many have met or are close to their goals. I'm in the early stages. I'm not even worried about Christmas day as much as getting to it. So much food around this time of year. But I've had my last December where I think I have to sample everything someone puts in front of me. I'm not down a dress size yet, but my pants are getting looser and I want them to stay that way. Have a great day all.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is what we've been doing today (not a very flattering picture of me, but that would be a challenge when aproned, hairnetted and gloved LOL...) Have finished two trays of fudge and four pans of 'chocolate brittle surprise), then roughly 200 Russian Tea Cakes (they call them sand tarts around here) and 200 peanut clusters done. Two more pans of candy tonight plus sugar cookies, and then the balance can wait until tomorrow :)

8fxjq2r1zs4g.jpg
    wywi2t3a5adp.jpg
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    And a BIG hello to the newest members of our group! wave_smiley41.gif
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Welcome new people.....hope you will have success and fun here.......

Jean
  • JoanLovell
    Options
    THIS is pretty cool! My new gym has a weekly weight loss group that uses My Fitness Pal. After the weigh in, the dietician pulls your MFP food diary up on a screen to discuss. That will certainly provide a new level of accountability for me!
  • DamitJanit
    Options
    Being new to this group, I have read most of the threads but just read "What are your most useful weight loss tools?". For any other newbies I recommend reading it. I thought it was a good one and actually got a couple of ideas. I have a mechanical food scale and had already asked Santa for a digital scale for Christmas. My other thing is to make the time to exercise more. Due to back problems, I am limited but can do much more than I have been. Have a great day ya'll.
    Janet :)
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Looking good at 50! Must be all that exercise and a diet high in gains!t07078.gif

zrbbqnehbt5m.jpgHappy 50th to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer!

Lisa Respers France (CNN) - The longest-running holiday special still has a very shiny nose.
    "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" premiered on television December 6, 1964, and is now one of the holiday season's perennial favorites. The story of the reindeer who saves Christmas is beloved among children and adults alike.

The Rankin-Bass animated film production company used Japanese puppets and stop motion to tell the tale, bolstered by a soundtrack featuring Burl Ives' rendition of the theme song.

In the story, Santa's reindeer Donner and his wife have a son, Rudolph, who has the distinction of a nose that glows. He runs away after being made to feel an outcast and links up with an elf who dreams of becoming a dentist and an adventurer seeking silver and gold.

After ending up on the Island of Misfit Toys and wandering for a while, Rudolph goes on to save his loved ones from the Abominable Snow Monster and guides Santa through a blizzard that threatens to ruin Christmas.

In 2006, the New York Times reported that fans drove for miles to see the Rudolph and Santa Claus puppets at the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta. The pair were thought to be the last of the surviving production puppets. They had been taken home by a production company employee and given to her children after filming was completed.

"In 2005, the nephew of the original rescuer found the puppets in a family attic and brought them to be appraised on the PBS series 'Antiques Roadshow,' " the Times said. "Created for about $5,000 each in 1964, they were valued at $8,000 to $10,000 for the pair. The family sold both figures to Kevin A. Kriess, the president of TimeandSpaceToys.com and a lifelong fan of the Rankin-Bass films."

The special has been shown every year since it premiered, which gives it a leg up over other beloved shows like "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "Frosty the Snowman" and makes it the longest-running program of its type. And viewers still love it.

One fan posted on social media, "I love watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer...and remember our tv that was like this growing up. Of course our picture was black and white. Lol.
  • sudofarr
    sudofarr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Joan, your new gym sounds great! I love the idea of using MFP by the dietician. I also love that there are so many classes. I am usually a solitary exerciser (not on machines but outside with the pooch) but I am happier in classes.
  • JoanLovell
    Options
    Got through a 50 minute weight lifting class -- the first class I've attempted in a year and a half. The best news is - my back didn't make a peep. Let's see how I feel tomorrow :o
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My Zumba class was cancelled today as our instructor is ill and they were unable to get a replacement. So instead of a good workout I wrapped Christmas gifts...I suppose that means I worked just as hard!!! lol

I still went to Weight Watchers class and got to my Goal Weight there so all is fab!

Jean
  • JoanLovell
    Options
    Jean - how exciting! Congratulations!!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thought this was worth sharing. Laughing is the best way to relieve stress and cure winter blahs!

klksuo1dgh6v.jpg
    Jim.jpg 59.1K
  • DamitJanit
    Options
    I love it, Charlie. I wish I could go to the Jim first thing every morning. It just seems to be a struggle for me even though I eat lots of fiber. (Not to get too personal)
    I lost 19 pounds quite easily and everyone said I wasn't getting enough calories, so I added just a few for a couple of days and it took about 2 weeks to lose pound 20...but I finally got there today. Now back on my way to lose another 50 to 60. First goal is the 50 pounds and then I'll see how I look and if I need to lose 10 more. I never thought I'd be able to even get to this weight again, so I'm excited and thankful for MFP.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I have had the same problem. Doctor suggested softeners. Didn't work. Some drink stuff, didn't help. More fiber in my diet, didn't help. I started taking Fiber Gummies and they seem to help some. You might try them. I take four a day (recommended two, but they say you can go up to four - I buy CVS generic brand).
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Charlie, very funny cartoon, ty!! Literally LOL here. As to regularity, it is a struggle when you are limiting carbs. I find that taking ground flax seed daily and incorporating beans into my diet as often as possible has kept me healthy. I also try to include a portion of an apple every day (usually about a quarter of an apple, with skin).

I want to wave hello to DamitJanit and say welcome! I am fairly new here myself and I too never thought I would see again the weight that I am at today. This is indeed a wonderful and supportive group.

My husband attends spin class faithfully every week at our "Jim" and I am toying with the idea of joining him tomorrow. Years ago --- seriously, maybe 9 year ago --- I went every week. That's how he got started. I just kept gaining weight and it became too difficult. But now... I am close to the weight I was when I abandoned it.

I will report back and let you know if I did it, or chickened! ~ Kathy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqS7vjP3fegnSuPx7InF_gvgFWZrY_OM8jOETxRWqz10hDcytm

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    ok, I may not be able to move tomorrow - but I did it! I survived all 60 minutes of the spin class. Whew! It actually felt great.