Welcome aboard!
  • kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome--great to have you in the group! (Donna)
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • choosing2
    choosing2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!
  • Djrundle13
    Djrundle13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello! and welcome.
  • ElainePelletier
    Options
    I'm happy to be on board. I look forward to all the comments and new information. I didn't have my surgery yet. Kinda scary stuff me. So I am very interested in what folks have to say on their experiences.
  • Djrundle13
    Djrundle13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I haven't haqd the surgery yet, either. I'm in the pre-op process. Went to the initial orientation and just had my first meetings with the nurse, dietitian, kinesiologist and went well. hopefully early next year I can get scheduled in.
    I was quite nervous before, but after joining here and reading what people's experiences are like, i have a new excited outlook.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My advice to newcomers is to read all of the topics you can on these groups, take note of people at all stages of the process and add them as friends. You then get to see the daily food intake of a bunch of people and some of the day to day stuff that might not make a group post. It really helped me to make it real and to better understand what the future held.

The biggest thing I learned, though, is that the breadth of experiences that WLS patients go through is huge, so don't expect to have a real handle on what *your* experience will be, just understand that there are many things that can happen and learn how folks have handle it.

My other advice is to do as much as you can humanly do in the pre-surgery time to get your habits and behaviors inline for what comes later. It will help you lose pre-surgery weight, get more active and fit. My surgery experience was quite tame compared to many and I attribute this to the pre-surgery success I had. Hit the pre-surgery stuff hard!

Rob
  • tlogesi
    tlogesi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My advice to newcomers is to listen to ANYTHING rpyle111 has to say!

I've been reading posts on this, and other, forums for about 6months now. I am going in for my rny Dec. 11. I have lots of confidence because I have done much of what Rob has suggested, my surgeon didn't say a word about exercising, but Rob does, so that's what I've been doing.

I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead, from everything I've read, it's worth it!!

Mark
  • ElainePelletier
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    My advice to newcomers is to read all of the topics you can on these groups, take note of people at all stages of the process and add them as friends. You then get to see the daily food intake of a bunch of people and some of the day to day stuff that might not make a group post. It really helped me to make it real and to better understand what the future held.

The biggest thing I learned, though, is that the breadth of experiences that WLS patients go through is huge, so don't expect to have a real handle on what *your* experience will be, just understand that there are many things that can happen and learn how folks have handle it.

My other advice is to do as much as you can humanly do in the pre-surgery time to get your habits and behaviors inline for what comes later. It will help you lose pre-surgery weight, get more active and fit. My surgery experience was quite tame compared to many and I attribute this to the pre-surgery success I had. Hit the pre-surgery stuff hard!

Rob
    Thanks Rob! I will definitely take notes and do a lot of reading! I've already started walking on the treadmill. It was really difficult to motivate myself, but I did it. I have already lost 18 pounds since June. I don't how to make my little ticker show up at the bottom of my posts. But yes, I certainly will work hard on my eating and exercising habits before surgery. Thanks for that helpful advice.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    tlogesi wrote: »
    My advice to newcomers is to listen to ANYTHING rpyle111 has to say!

I've been reading posts on this, and other, forums for about 6months now. I am going in for my rny Dec. 11. I have lots of confidence because I have done much of what Rob has suggested, my surgeon didn't say a word about exercising, but Rob does, so that's what I've been doing.

I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead, from everything I've read, it's worth it!!

Mark

Quit it! You'll make me blush! I'm just paying it forward from all of the great stuff I learned here when I was trying to figure out a path. I am glad I can help.

Rob

• kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. There is such good info available in the forums and every morning I check for new posts to read. I'm Allison. I'm up in Canada and I am still pre-op.(scheduled for Feb 11th) :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Welcom and I agree, listen to Rob (rpyle111) he's been super successful pre and post op!
  • hershey45
    hershey45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Had RNy 3/11/14. Not totally new to my fitnesspal, but stopped logging food and exercise for the last 3 months. need to get back on track as I still have some weight loss I would like to have. Thanks for everyone being here
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck to you :smile:
  • msam_77048
    msam_77048 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm new to the group but not new to my fitness pal my surgery was done 11/20/14 Lap band 6weeks post-op
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »

Rob
    Yep! Rob knows what he is talking about! Especially regarding doing the pre-surgery work. I lost 70lbs pre-surgery and I do believe my easy recovery and success has a lot to do with doing a lot of work and making a lot of changes well in advance of my surgery. Welcome :-)