I am trying chicken thighs- help please.

Options
yturie47
yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
I never bought these before and would like a good recipe without too many calories. I really will appreciate some suggestions. No time today to search through all recipes and try to guess what is good. Yme :p

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Love this one. The recipe calls for chicken quarters, but I just use boneless/skinless thighs and it's delicious.

allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-with-chipotle/
  • yturie47
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. We love spicy food and this looks good!
  • powernapp
    powernapp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just took a few 4 oz. boneless skinless thighs this morning and am marinating them in 2 T of Trader Joe's Soyaki sauce. After work I'll throw them on the grill pan until they're cooked through - great with brown rice and stir-fried veggies!
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Spicy Chicken Curry.
    I love this chicken curry and not too difficult to do it started as a beef curry i changed it to chicken.
    Ingredients:
    500g Chicken, cut in medium cubes
    1/2 onion, sliced
    4-5 red chillies (depends on how spicy you like)
    4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped or sliced
    1/2 inch ginger, chopped finely
    2 medium potatoes, cut in cubes
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp garam masala
    salt
    oil
    hot water
    Steps:
    1. Fry the onions, until translucent.
    2. Add the red chilies, ginger and garlic and fry for 30s.
    3. Add turmeric powder, garam masala and fry until the raw smell goes away.
    4. Add the Chicken and cook for about 20-25 minutes. Water should come out. 5. Add hot water, cover and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or more, so longe as its cooked 6. Add the potatoes, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes become tender. 7. Serve with some rice.
    Have fun and enjoy.
  • yturie47
    Options
    Chicken with Chipolte was sooo good. My husband loved it all though he didn't think he would ever like dark chicken meat. I am planning to try the grilling method and Chicken curry recipe soon. Thanks all!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I use chicken thighs for curry too, and also for BBQ chicken. I marinate it in apple cider vinegar, chicken seasoning, garlic and then grill it on a grill pan. Then I add the BBQ sauce and broil it to get that char that a real grill leaves.
  • Cortney0216
    Options
    This may sound silly.. but I LOVE chicken.. however the thought of not cooking it enough freaks me out. how long should I bake a pan of 4 frozen chicken breast in the oven?
  • AngryViking1970
    edited December 2014
    Options
    IngleC13 wrote: »
    This may sound silly.. but I LOVE chicken.. however the thought of not cooking it enough freaks me out. how long should I bake a pan of 4 frozen chicken breast in the oven?

Well for starters, I don't think you should bake it from frozen. Second, are they bone in or no? And third, how big are they?

• Cortney0216
    Cortney0216 Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    Options
    They are boneless, skinless, chicken breast. About 4" long? What is the proper way to thaw chicken? I am fine with every other meat.. it is just chicken that scares me.
  • AngryViking1970
    Options
    You'd want to defrost in the fridge overnight, not on the counter. I don't like the microwave for defrosting because the edges always end of cooking and it's kind of gross. I usually bake my b/s chicken breasts at 350 for around 35-45 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breast. And you can always cut into them to check for doneness. There's no law against that. LOL
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken have not tried this but looks good!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This recipe is so good ... it only takes about 10 minutes to put together and is done cooking in less than 45 minutes. The original recipe is from "Real Simple".

Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes
    Serves 4
    2 cans (15.5 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed
    1 pint grape tomatoes
    4 sprigs fresh thyme
    4 sprgs fresh oregano, plus leaves for garnish
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin ... save that for salad dressing)
    salt and black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup white wine
    8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs ( about 3 pounds total)

Heat the oven to 425 degrees Farenheit. In a 9x13 inch (or some other large) baking dish, toss the beans and tomatoes with some of the thyme and the oregano sprigs, garlic, red pepper, 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add the white wine to the dish.

Pat the chicken dry and place on top of the bean mixture, skin-sid up. rub with the remaining tblespoon of oil; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and the rest of the thyme (strip the leaves off the stems).

Roast until the chicken is golden and cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved oregano leaves.

This is great with some country bread to soak up the delicious sauce. Served with a green salad it makes a complete dinner.

Nutrition per 2 pieces chicken thighs and 1/4 of the beans ....
    Calories 624 Fat 35g Sat Fat 9g Cholesterol 168 mg
    Sodium 808 mg
    Proetin 51 g
    Carbohydrate 22 g Sugar 2 g Fiber 6 g
    Iron 5 mg Calcium 85 mg

This meal is also great as a left over the next day if you are cooking for 2 you can still make the whole recipe.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Here's another super easy one from Real Simple. I don't even mess with the naan or the yogurt and it's still delish!
    http://www.realsimple.com/m/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/curried-lentils-chicken-potaotes

1 1/2 cups red lentils or yellow split peas
    1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
    kosher salt and black pepper
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 pounds total)
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
    3/4 cup plain yogurt
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, torn
    naan bread, toasted, for serving
    Directions

In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the lentils, potatoes, onion, garlic, curry powder, ginger, 1¼ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the broth and chicken and turn to coat.

Cover and cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).

Fifteen minutes before serving, transfer the chicken to a medium bowl and, using 2 forks, shred the meat; return it to the slow cooker. Add the lime juice and stir to combine, adding more water if necessary to reach the desired consistency. Serve topped with the yogurt and cilantro, with the naan and lime wedges on the side.
  • msbucky2
    msbucky2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a favourite of ours. I freeze it in meals for 2. 6 servings of 2 pcs.

THAI THIGHS

Preheat oven to 375.

T-tablespoon, t - teaspoon, c - cup

12 chicken leg quarters or thighs
    Approx. 2 lbs carrots sliced thin

SAUCE
    ½ c minced scallions
    4 cloves minced garlic
    6 T T&T low sodium hoisin sauce
    4 T peanut butter
    2 T minced ginger
    2 T low sodium soy sauce
    2 T sesame oil
    2 T lemon juice
    1 t sriracha hot sauce

Cut leg quarters into legs and thighs, and trim excess fat, while cooking carrot in water until just tender. Save the water to make the rice. Combine sauce ingredients (food processor is handy, garlic to hot sauce). Spread carrots in two baking pans. Add about ½ cup of carrot water. Arrange chicken on top and spread about 1T sauce on each piece until gone. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 375. Garnish with scallions.
    Use the carrot water to make the accompanying rice if needed or use cauliflower rice to save calories.

Calories 418 . Sodium 297 mg . (for 2 pcs chicken and carrots)
  • yturie47
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get rid of all the Christmas and New years leftovers to start cooking some new recipes again. I am one of those people who can't throw food away and be wasteful. At least I have given away the cookies and fudge. Well.....most of it.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are great ideas. I needed inspiration! Going to try the chipotle chicken over the weekend.
  • mikaelakosich
    mikaelakosich Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I replace breasts with them, especially in recipes that don't use a lot of oil/liquid (which can dry breasts).

Also, throwing them in a crock pot with some salsa!
  • vaavale
    vaavale Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Lemon Grass Curry Recipe
    This fragrant and truly delicious curry is exceptionally easy and takes less than twenty minutes to prepare and cook. Truly a perfect mid-week meal which is easy to prepare.

Ingredients: (Serves 4)
    45 ml/3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    500 g/1¼ lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs, chopped into small pieces
    45 ml/3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
    120 ml/4 fl oz/½ cup chicken stock
    5 ml/1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    1 lemon grass stalk, chopped into 4 sticks and lightly crushed
    5 kaffir lime leaves, rolled into cylinders and thinly sliced across, plus extra for garnish
    Chopped roasted peanuts and chopped fresh cilantro (coriander), to garnish

For the curry paste:
    1 lemon grass stalk, coarsely chopped
    2.5 cm/1 inch piece fresh galangal, peeled and coarsely chopped
    2 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
    3 shallots, coarsely chopped
    6 cilantro (coriander) roots, coarsely chopped
    2 garlic cloves
    2 fresh green chilies, seeded and coarsely chopped
    5 ml/1 teaspoon shrimp paste
    5 ml/1 teaspoon ground turmeric

Method:
    Make the curry paste. Place all the ingredients in a large mortar, or food processor and pound with a pestle or process to a smooth paste. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large, heavy frying pan, add the garlic and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Be careful not to let the garlic burn or it will taste bitter. Add the curry paste and stir-fry with the garlic for about 30 seconds more.

Add the chicken pieces to the pan and stir until thoroughly coated with the curry paste. Stir in the Thai fish sauce and chicken stock, with the sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more.

Add the lemon grass and lime leaves, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If the mixture begins to dry out, add a little more stock or water.

Remove the lemon grass, if you like. Spoon the curry into four dishes, garnish with the lime leaves, peanuts and cilantro and serve immediately.

• vaavale
    vaavale Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chicken and mushroom pot pies
    Cooking time
    Less than 60 minutes
    Serves 4

Ingredients
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 onion, thinly sliced
    • 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
    • 250g chicken breast fillet, cubed
    • 250g mushrooms, sliced (see tip)
    • 2 tablespoons cornflour
    • 2 cups skim milk
    • ¼ cup chicken stock
    • 2 green onions, roughly chopped
    • 410g corn kernels, drained
    • 100g broccoli florets, blanched, refreshed
    • 4 sheets filo pastry
    Preparation method
    Note: The classic version contains 1920kJ, 21g fat and 6g saturated fat.
    1. Preheat oven to hot, 200°C . Arrange four 1¼-cup ramekins on an oven tray.
    2. Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Saute onion and thyme for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken, cook 4-5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook for further 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
    3. In a saucepan, stir cornflour into ½ cup milk, until smooth. Gradually add remaining milk and chicken stock, stirring until smooth. Heat on medium, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes. Add green onions and season to taste.
    4. Mix sauce into chicken mixture with corn and broccoli. Divide mixture evenly between dishes.
    5. Spray each sheet of filo with oil. Fold in half and spray again. Scrunch each sheet and place on top of each pie. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until pastry is golden and crisp.

TOP TIP
    • Try using a variety of mushrooms.
    • Turkey meat, or even firm-flesh fish, can be substituted for chicken. With fish, reduce cooking time to 3-4 minutes.
    • Corn and broccoli can be replaced with same amount of frozen vegetables.