Dec 14-Dec 20 Challenge Thread

Options

Replies

• kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Time to get ready for a thrilling day of Jury Duty selection or elimination. I can't wait...

I have been called in for jury duty I think seven times and never made it in. The last one was at around Christmas & New Years and ended up it was for the corrupt ex-mayor of Detroit, Kwame Kilpatrick. You have no idea how happy I was to not get on that one:) It was a pain calling in every day of my vacation and we had a major snowstorm. Dodged that one!

Jen, Haha, No working the PJs today. I was given grief by the owner. Tomorrow is hat day and I will be wearing my bear hat, as in furry and looks like an actual stuffed bear. I think I will also sport a florescent orange vest and NOT hit the trails!

Congrats John!!!

Stacy, I am feeling the same way. We got this!!! Mind you I already had a slice of pizza so it is not looking good for me. haha

Mark, Adding Against All Grains to my list. I don't know how you do it traveling. I was awful on my business trip.

Cynthia, I have never heard of an "Earthquake bar." I keep trying to listen to the rest of the Vinnie Tortorich podcast and everyone and their brother keeps interrupting. So far I am really enjoying what I hear:)

Pizza happened and now my belly is paying the price. I kept smelling it and it called my name. Ugh! Having one heck of a time concentrating today.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

Just got back from a new lower body workout. Squats with 95/90/85 lbs for 12 reps each. Used a new-to-me thing called an Earthquake Bar. Yep, it is hard.

Have a great day everyone![/quote]

We used to hang stuff off an Ox Yoke as a field expedient Squat Bar. Same Principle Good Work Cynthia.
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Kris, I avoid restaurants at all costs (client meals excluded). For those I order salads. I can usually find a Boston Market (1/2 chicken and green beans). Many places have good salads. Breakfast is usually way tougher. I find a target if possible and get Atkins bars, or order a burrito with no potato and just eat the innards. Once you are on track, it really is not that bad.
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    Kris, I need a picture of you sporting your bear hat tomorrow. Actually, I think we all need to see that picture! Hehehe....

Ok, I'm going to have to learn everybody else's names here so I can start responding to their comments as well. It's like YouTube here, trying to figure who everybody is. :)
  • aceronjr
    aceronjr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! T minus 10 days for those that celebrate Christmas.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm still in a weird funk. Today's session was all kinds of wrong. Worse than Saturday, I really need to somehow reset...
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mark, You are a pro at business trips. I usually ask where the "party store" is when I arrive. Seems it is a term only used in Michigan, because I get some strange looks. I think it can depend on how exhausted I am from working a show all day. The last trip we were walking around with a bunch of beepers for restaurants because everywhere had a 2-hour wait. Then you are famished and dying for a beer. Bad combo. Interestingly my favorite city for clean eating is NYC. It is easy to score fresh fruits and veggies to bring and I know my way around there. Breakfast was also my downfall on the last trip because nothing was open in the morning. I feel guilty spending 20 bucks on a buffet where all I eat is fruit:) I like the Boston Market idea!

Jen, I might just post a pic. I have to find that hat in the black hole of a basement.

John and Cynthia, I googled that bar and I think that would be an accident waiting to happen with me!

Heron, Sorry to hear about the funk. Have you had a good rest in there? Sometimes when that hits me, I need to take a little longer break. Keep your chin up.

Off to hit the rowing machine. That thing is wicked tough for me. I fell incredibly out of shape when I do it and still a little awkward. Kind of nice. It is something I feel the need to master! Did I say I had a cookie today? I DID! The NSNG lifestyle that I am thinking about drove me to it. The moment I start thinking about change, I sabotage it.
  • TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Kris, it was very easy. Especially if you don't make your own mayo. We did, but that's mostly just to see how it went and to have a less processed product. Go over to the Healthy Recipes thread to see those 2 recipes.
  • heronh
    Options
    Kim how did you do on your carb nite? 2200K would be hard for me to do on a carb nite lol. And why did she lower it? why did she up your protein as well? I'm very interested :)
  • tindercd
    tindercd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Really needed that run.

3 mile RX

8:08
    8:30
    8:12

24:54 8:18/mile

It was cold. Very cold. Took me a few minutes to get my shoes off afterwards haha.

Heron...me too! Saturday started it for me as well. I've been so busy I haven't really had time to think much about it. I learned this trick in bowling, though it's applicable everywhere. When you're in a funk and can't seem to figure out how to get out of it, do something completely new for one frame (or one day in our case). If your workouts aren't what they should be take one day and do a different sport to break the cycle. When my diet is off I do a reset something like a 20/4 hour fast to throw me back onto the right track. Just a thought maybe it'll work. I'm doing my 20/4 hour fast today and Wednesday I'll be back in the pool to flounder around a little bit. Good luck!

Realized today how insanely swollen my wrist is. I'm still waiting on the stupid brace shop to get my brace...It's been like two weeks. I guess Christmas slows it down. Meanwhile, I'm trying so hard not to use it but just a few seconds ago I used it to help me out of my chair. The doctor said I'd do stuff like that because it doesn't really hurt that much until I do something to aggravate it. Oh well. Hopefully this brace comes in this week. Have a good night everyone. Go Bears!
  • kc9ljo
    kc9ljo Posts: 19
    Options
    Still plugging along.
  • heronh
    Options
    Thanks Chris, great advice! I think I will do yoga or Pilates tomorrow.
    So I made some "savory fat bombs" bacon wrapped cream cheese. So good and the cream cheese holds its shape so it's not all oozing out of the bacon but still soft.
  • heronh
    Options
    Chris, hope that brace comes soon! When I hurt my wrist is when I realized how much I use it. Heck I couldnt even wear jeans because I couldn't put them on lol. Thankfully I get to wear dresses
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    Good morning Fat2FitHQ.

Kris, don't forget to wear your bear hat today. :wink:

Carol, I woke up, checked YouTube and saw a chat with you and JT. Perfect way to start out my day at work.

Montana_girl, I hope your day ended up better than it started and that your week is looking up.

Have a great day everybody...
  • easmythcrna
    easmythcrna Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good morning, y'all. I missed the jury draft yesterday, so it's back to work for me. Happy Tuesday.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Folks, Hope all is well with all of you. Got one of our folks back yesterday (Knee Replacement) but found out we have two more going out next week, one for knee replacement, one for shoulder surgery. Being a Div 1 Athlete in college/ or a soldier makes for a difficult time in 30's, 40's and 50's. Every member of our department has now had surgery for something in the last 18 months. 1 Med retired (age 47), 2 rotator cuff, 3 knee replacements, 1 blown back (still out not sure she'll be able to come back), 1 kidney cancer (me), 1 lapurdnum (sp?) connective tissue at the upper left clavicle - tear and cyst, 1 nueroblastoma tumor, 1 lap band repair/sepsis Thinking we need haz duty pay.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Kris -you must post a bear hat picture!

Cynthia - we could be lifting partners, I'm at nearly same weights on squats.

Heron, I agree with Chris switch things up a bit. Pilates or yoga sounds ideal.

Haven't had the live consultation yet with AJ, so don't have all the answers or whys. I do know she estimated my TDEE at 2075. So suspect the 2200 cal CarbNite is to keep me in a deficit for week, while going just over for day. Haven't done one yet. Planning it for tomorrow. The hardest thing is getting the macros right- primarily keeping fat under 70gr for day - my morning coffee and fish oils get me to 50. Now find 125gr of protein from real foods (not a powder) without adding too much fat and another 250 gr carbs with very little fat. I suspect frosted flakes with skim milk may be in the mix. And sushi. Lots of sushi. And TalentI sorbet. Already tinkering in my diary for tomorrow to get there. Like I said planning.

Consultation is Thursday morning.

TDEE= total daily energy expenditure.
  • jeffreyschmitt34
    jeffreyschmitt34 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Day 16 back to work
  • imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hmrjmr1 wrote: »
    We used to hang stuff off an Ox Yoke as a field expedient Squat Bar. Same Principle Good Work Cynthia.

An ox yoke! Awesome! I live in farm country, so maybe I can find one and make a fool of myself. :o

Today will be an interesting day. I'm committed to a day of writing (for academic journals), so it will be very stationary. I can do some standing work, but no treadmill. They are providing lunch, which is usually from a Nepalese refugee kitchen. Tasty, but 100% carbs. I'll just pick and choose things like lentils and potatoes, and skip the rice and naan. We have a lot of Nepalese/Bhutanese refugees in our town, so I'm glad they support their efforts to make a living and introduce this "white bread" area to more novel foods. This is true peasant food. Refugees don't do fancy!

There have been a few incidents in my neighborhood recently that make it a bit more iffy to walk at night. A group of teen boys who try to get you to help the one who is lying on the ground "hurt." Then they punch you in the face and run. Nothing life-threatening, and not quite a real mugging, but not something I want to tackle. I just bought a personal alarm (pretty pink with bling), and I've started carrying my pepper spray, but I'm trying to get all my walking done before 5 PM. Can't wait until we turn the corner and the days start getting longer!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have a lot going on in my life, but with work getting busy (and will be through the first of the year), trying to get ready for the holidays, and some ongoing medical issues, I feel like my eating and exercising are hit or miss.

Not giving up, but some days I'm just too tired to care... LOL I know things will get better after the first of the year, just have to do the best I can between now and then. :)

Sounds like everyone is being active and tackling the holidays with a wonderful "can do" attitude! Love reading the posts... so inspiring and motivating! :smiley: