Paleo Reset, January 1st

Options

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    ClutchBone wrote: »
    I do spend extra for the higher end Whole Foods bacon to keep away from nitrites and such.
    If that's the case, save some money. The 'uncured' bacon still has nitrites - it's just not added as an ingredient, so it is not on the label. When you add nitrates from a natural source, such as celery powder, microbial action still creates nitrites from the nitrates.

I did a lot of reading to figure this out. In standard bacon, sodium nitrates and sodium nitrites are added in known amounts so that the curing/preservation process is demonstrable and standardized. In 'uncured' bacon, the nitrates are added via celery or kale powder and salt, and microbial action produces the nitrites - a much more variable and inefficient way to go about it. This is one reason such bacon is legally 'uncured' and has to be refrigerated - you can't rely on the product to be properly cured (meaning shelf-stable at room temperature).

This is an area where healthfood nuts waste money to no avail. If you truly want to avoid nitrates/nitrites, order pork belly/side pork from your butcher counter and salt it yourself when you cook it (like I do). It may be brown instead of red - but it still tastes like bacon. ;)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I am in, but since my beloved Buckeyes are playing in the Sugar Bowl (and I fear it will not be a good game for us, so I might need copious amounts of alcohol), I will be starting on the 2nd.
  • GrokGranny
    GrokGranny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Count ME in, dude!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm in...will check out the Primal Blueprint too. I've done Whole 30 before, so maybe I need something different. I don't know what was different about the holidays this year. Last year I was pretty careful. This year it's been about ALL the chocolate, cookies, etc. Even though I feel awful I can't seem to stop!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome all!
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm in- I've been trying to keep it up but it hasn't been happening as well as I intended with all the goodies around.
  • SteamClutch
    Options

That was great, too bad the video wasn't working for me.

Welcome to all who just committed to this, I do not do New Years Resolutions but this is a good way to start any year.

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Nayners21 wrote: »
    I am in! I am still new at this PALEO eating, but I definitely going to check out the "WHole30" plan to see what that is about. I am already admitting that I will slip up (ie, soda drinker right here), but I will do my best!

Nayners, one of my dd who wanted to give up soda was able to substitute the flavored carbonated water (like Dasani) for a start. She still got the carbonation she craved, and a little flavor (and it appears to be natural citrus flavor, not artificial, like lemon, lime, or grapefruit), and it helped. I drink one or two cans of it a week, myself, when I want a treat.

Maybe carbonation isn't "paleo" -- although I remember reading about Soda Springs on the Oregon Trail, which was naturally carbonated water, so maybe it's possible. In any event, I count it as part of the "20" of my Primal Blueprint 80/20.

• homesweeths
    edited December 2014
    Options
    kikih64 wrote: »
    I'm in...will check out the Primal Blueprint too. I've done Whole 30 before, so maybe I need something different. I don't know what was different about the holidays this year. Last year I was pretty careful. This year it's been about ALL the chocolate, cookies, etc. Even though I feel awful I can't seem to stop!

Planning helps. I sort of "fell off" last week -- more stress eating than anything else. There's a certain person I avoid, but since our kids are involved in the same extracurricular event, I can let dh take the kids to club meetings, but can't avoid the unpleasant person at tournaments... I refuse to be driven away from tournaments by someone who is determined to be as nasty and hurtful as possible to my kids and myself. So we pretty much avoid the person, even though one of my kids was best friends with the person's kid. (Kind of hard to maintain best friendship when your friend's parent despises you and won't even try to act polite, or even adultishly neutral, in public.)

Anyhow, there was a tournament last week, and I was really good for the first half of the first day, but after that I started eating the home-baked goodies in the judges' lounge. It was downhill from there, but this morning, even though I wanted "comfort" food (ice cream for breakfast, anyone?) I talked myself into healthy food that, in the end, will be truly comforting in terms of helping me feel physically strong, and better able to cope with stress. I need to have this under control because there will be a tournament every month, and two in some months, between now and May.

p.s. I am still managing to avoid "cheating" with nightshades, as I know very well I'll pay for it with three days of joint pain and stiffness. Amazing how motivating pain can be. Anyone is welcome to "friend" request (please mention in the request that you're from the paleo/primal forum, if you don't mind) -- the thought that someone might be looking at my food diary to see how I'm doing helps, somehow.

We're all in this together.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    ClutchBone wrote: »

That was great, too bad the video wasn't working for me.

Welcome to all who just committed to this, I do not do New Years Resolutions but this is a good way to start any year.

Good read! His experience with diet soda makes me think that the lemon sparkling water substitute is probably not the best way to go, if you're trying to overcome a dietary "stronghold". Since I haven't craved soda in years, I don't think I have a problem with drinking sparkling water a couple times a week for a treat. Some weeks I go without (like when dd drinks it all up -- I've had to impose a limit of one can a day per person in the household) and don't feel deprived.

The caffeine thing, though... I was drinking three cups of coffee a day, and had cut down to one until last week. Today I had two, even though I didn't really want the second, I just poured it because "it was there." Need to pour myself a cup of water instead, I guess.

I suspect the movie is a promo for their program, whatever it might be. Health through lifestyle change, maybe.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am in. My crossfit gym is doing a 30 day paleo challenge from the 1st so I am doing it with them. Not many people have said they are in at this stage so extra support on here would be great. I am keen to go strict for the 30 days - no grains, dairy or sugar.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I think my plan is to do Whole30 at like, 95%. I have a couple events in January that would be difficult to stick to, and I won't be able to really start until January 5th. But at that point I am in!
  • dalia_mariaa
    Options
    Absolutely. I was planning on doing this anyway.

• dalia_mariaa
    Options
    I'm not much into the New Year's resolution thing, as any time is a good time to start, but like you, I figured it was a bit foolish to do this during the holidays. I don't plan on mowing down everything in sight, lol... but, I certainly don't want to completely deprive myself during a time of so much temptation.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I'm not much into the New Year's resolution thing, as any time is a good time to start, but like you, I figured it was a bit foolish to do this during the holidays. I don't plan on mowing down everything in sight, lol... but, I certainly don't want to completely deprive myself during a time of so much temptation.

I know. I had a couple of pieces of homemade fudge this morning. Not a "choice" thing, more stress eating than anything else, but after a bacon-eggs-and-avocado lunch I'm feeling full and satisfied and back on track even if there's more stress on its way.

• Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I will definitely join you for a whole 30 starting January 1st. Happy Holidays!
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Welcome to all the new comers
  • abaldi0506
    abaldi0506 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I was planning on trying the Whole30 anyway. I've been doing paleo for about 3-4 months now and wanted to kick it up a notch in January anyway. happy holidays!