Cream for your Coffee?

Options
124»

Replies

• Jillgorby
    Jillgorby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been making my own clean eating creamer, 3/4cup unsweetened almond, coconut, or any other milk you like, 3tbsp pure vanilla, 2tbsp raw honey, blended into a cream. yummy!
  • lilyann001
    lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I started the paleo diet awhile ago I realized that I should not shirk fat or sugar. The body naturally craves fat and sugar, so it is important to have that in your diet. I don't know if milk has less fat than half-and-half, but I would think so. You can substitute it for unpasturized whole milk. It can be your one protein for breakfast. If you crave certain fatty foods, keep it in your diet as long as you stay within nutritional intake. It will help you not crave all the really bad stuff.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    ALMOND MILK. ALMOND MILK. ALMOND MILK.

^ This
  • julia_v1
    julia_v1 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia to sweeten when needed in coffee, tea, oatmeal, etc. It is natural with no known side effects.

But there are some health concerns surrounding the stevia plant. Stevia may cause low blood pressure, which would be of concern to some taking blood pressure medications.

Caution is advised when using medications that may also lower blood sugar. People taking insulin or drugs for diabetes by mouth should be monitored closely by a qualified health care professional, including a pharmacist

Stevia may also interact with anti-fungals, anti-inflammatories, anti-microbials, anti-cancer drugs, anti-virals, appetite suppressants, calcium channel blockers, cholesterol-lowering drugs, drugs that increase urination, fertility agents and other medications. People should talk with their doctor before deciding to take stevia in large amounts.
  • baltimorebroad
    baltimorebroad Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Drank it black all my life. When we were kids, we'd have a little coffee on Sunday morning. I drank mine black, like Dad and my brother took his w/ crm and sugar, like Mom. Neither of us have ever changed.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I try to drink it black, but I just enjoy it more lightened with a creamer. My creamer these days is homemade cashew milk.
  • catkinsmfp
    Options
    I've been having the same dilemma. I have gotten to the point where I drink black coffee during the week and I use half and half on the weekends for a treat. It really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have tried almond milk. It just doesn't have the punch that cream has (or my old flavored creamers).
  • agung354
    Options
  • dorkus619
    Options
    From recent news/studies it seems FAT IS NOT BAD, its the combo of refined sugar/simple carbs plus fat that is bad.

How about organic half and half + add pure vanilla extract!
  • bjbrown9
    bjbrown9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use a splash of whole milk and a tsp of maple syrup. Sometimes I mix cocoa powder into the maple syrup first and have a mocha.
  • bjbrown9
    bjbrown9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't like using alternative milk (like almond milk) because I haven't found any that don't have unwanted additives. If you need to avoid dairy read the ingredients list to make sure that the brand you are using is clean. And if it is, please post the brand name. Like I said I haven't found any. You could make your own if you're ambitious (recipes can be found on the internet - I haven't bothered to try any - sticking with dairy)
  • MetroDetroitMike
    MetroDetroitMike Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Go black and never go back! I say that tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness a cup of coffee (or even two or three occasionally) is a nutritional bonus - until you start adding stuff to it.

I will still add some cream and organic raw sugar to my coffee on rare occasions, but at that point I am considering it a desert and just as likely to add a splash of Bailey's.
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    black coffee all the way, iced when it is summer time lol
  • texasmom2013
    texasmom2013 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like the Silk brand of Cashew milk. I'm sure it's processed to some extent, but I'm ok with that. At least it's non GMO! I've got to have some kind of milk!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Black please - caffeine straight up!! Had a contest with a guy at work years ago. I said I would give up my quarter teaspoon of sugar if he gave up his 2 heaping teaspoons. I won - and have never gone back. Good on him though he is down to one teaspoon.
  • Jerilang
    Jerilang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am continuing to use heavy cream, 1 1/2 T in the morning. I don't eat much, maybe a banana mid morning, then a regular lunch. Lots of great nutrition and not overdoing it with other fats during the day.