What I wanted in 2014. What I want in 2015.

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
I just got off the phone with my friend. He commented on a conversation we had had a year before. One which ended up being quoted on his FB page.

Last Christmas Eve, I was talking to my friend. He asked me what I wanted for the upcoming year. I responded, "I really just want to be healthy and to eat lots of bacon." It was that statement that ended up on his facebook last year. At the time, I was already down about 6 kg from my low-carb eating. Here we are, a year later, and I am down about 20 kg from where I started. I am really healthy. And I eat LOTS of bacon.

I would call that a success.

What do I want from the upcoming year? To continue on the path I am on. I would also like to get my weight down to 65 kg. Currently, I am around 72 kg. Being at 65 would put me under a BMI of 25. I have never in my adult life been below overweight on the BMI charts. I realize that it's not really an accurate indicator of health. I would just like it to happen. I would like to build a bit more strength.

But, again, my goal would be to be healthy and eat lots of food that I love (mainly beef and lamb these days).

Specific Goals for 2015:
* Meat Only 99% of the time -- this includes high fat dairy, eggs, and carb-free booze (bourbon) and allows up to 3 days where I eat something else
* 30 minutes of quiet time each morning at least 5 days a week
* Consistently working out 2-3 times a week
* Run at least 2 5k+ races
* Stay healthy
* Stay happy
* Be a good husband to my wife
* 65 kg

I think that's about it.

Replies

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    :smiley: They sound like might fine goals to me.

My hubby was writing down his goals for 2015 only a few minutes ago. He's an engineer and does this every year whereas I've never written down a goal. After many years he's given up asking me if I have any goals. I surprised him though. I made myself one promise in Jan 2014. To be fitter and healthier. I enlisted the help of a friend who is an ex-drill Sargent to "motivate" me when I wanted to give it up. I increased my fitness but my size stayed the same (maybe even increased slightly) until I started low carb in November and saw immediate size loss.

This year my goal is again to be fitter and healthier in whichever way evolves to work for me and fits my life.

EAT ALL THE FAT - IT'S DELICIOUS!!!!!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    frob what a great post. I never thought about goals other than I just HAVE to lose this weight I have gained in the last 10 years. I am too old to keep packing this extra weight around. It makes me feel so bad when I look in the mirror. I was humiliated when my husbands nurse was angry at fat people and looked at me and said it it a persons responsibility to keep their weight to a healthy level. Little does she know how hard it has been for me. BECAUSE low cal low fat does not work for me. And some how at the time I was back to the brain wash thinking. I was on a diet in 2nd grade for crying out loud with my mother sending me to school with jello and cottage cheese. Hello???????????? Jello????????

So in August when I was put back on my thyroid I made up my mind to get -R-done. Still not working on lowcal low fat and then the lightbulb went off. Go low carb. It worked once for me it will work again and honestly I am not sure how I ever drifted off the LCHF WOE. Sad.

So for 2015 I will eat as much bacon as I want. I am not as much a fan of it as many others are. I will work to the best of my ability to educate myself more about MY needs for nutrition. I am not going to say I will lose 50 pounds I will just say I will work to continue to loose weight.

And Please tell me another booze that does not have carbs. LOL I can not stomach bourbon.

Chris
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    They're good goals because they are all very achievable for me. They would be bad goals for others. Losing 7 kg is obviously not going to take a year. I currently work out a couple times a week. I get 30 minutes of quiet time 2-3 times a week right now (trying to make it every week day). I ran only one 5 k last year... but I plan on doing a couple this year. And the food, I have basically been doing that for about 5 months already with a few breaks from it. So, I can do it. I am thinking of making a card to put in my wallet with three little segments to tear off when I have a day that I eat something outside my normal food. Just to have a record that's easy to keep.

Not that I stress too much about that one. I just think it's reasonable because that's about how often (once every 4 months) I do a cheat day as it is.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options

And Please tell me another booze that does not have carbs. LOL I can not stomach bourbon.

Almost all the spirits are no carb. Scotch, gin, vodka, rum. White wine is 1 carb/5oz, red wine is 2 carb/5oz. This does not include the sweet/dessert wines.
    frob23 wrote: »
    And the food, I have basically been doing that for about 5 months already with a few breaks from it. So, I can do it. I am thinking of making a card to put in my wallet with three little segments to tear off when I have a day that I eat something outside my normal food. Just to have a record that's easy to keep.

Not that I stress too much about that one. I just think it's reasonable because that's about how often (once every 4 months) I do a cheat day as it is.

I'm working this eating into my life. That means that every so often I'm going to have a piece of battered fish or some chocolate or some alcohol. Life is a journey. I have a long way to go and I would go insane if I couldn't have a treat every now and then. I don't like to call it a cheat because that brings up all sort of guilty feelings for me. If it's a treat I don't feel guilty and it perfectly fine every now and then.

MFP tells me this is day 46. I have 2 high carb days. Yesterday was under 120 carbs and I was perfectly happy. I've had no troubles being straight back into the plan today.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Sajyana, I had no idea Alcohol had very few carbs. Guess I would have to learn to drink it neat. It must be the mixers that can be bad and I do not drink soda pop. The red wine I have is Chilable Red and I think it had 5 Carbs per 5 OZ. I wonder how Bullet Proof Vodka would be. Hehehehe
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Asking one more dumb question on this alcohol consumption. If alcohol does not have carbs in it how come diabetics are not supposed to drink? Does it trigger BG even with out Carbs in it?
  • FIT_Goat
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It isn't the carbs that make it unwise for many diabetics to drink alcohol. Alcohol is a heck of a lot of "fun" for those doing low carb, too. So, it's generally wise to avoid it for both groups.

The main problem is that alcohol needs to be processed by the liver. Well, with low carb, so do our ketones. Alcohol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in diabetics or exacerbate other conditions. I am no expert on all the stuff it can do, but it's not the carbs that cause the problems (unless you're having a drink with a bunch of carbs in it as well).

I'll be honest. I rarely drink. I might have a couple drinks once every two months. Alcohol just comes with more problems than solutions for me. First, I get drunk way easier. So, it is harder to moderate. Second, even if I am not drunk, I need to be extra careful about staying hydrated unless I want a killer hangover. Third, when drinking I tend to have worse impulse control and am more likely to dig into stuff that I know is bad for me (Atkins' bars for example).

So, if you can avoid drinking, it is probably wise to do so. That said, you can certainly do it if you want. Most dry wines are fine. Almost all liquors are fine (beware of those with flavorings or added sweeteners). Non-caloric mixers are fine (water, seltzer, diet sodas, etc.). Avoid beers, ciders, sweet wines, mixed drinks. Beware of bars... there are many reports of people asking for Jim and Diet and getting Jim and Coke, for example. It's hard to tell if you are really getting diet soda in a bar environment.
  • shadesofidaho
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks frob. I am not much of a drinker. The last bottle of vodka I bought was to make tinctures. Just once in awhile I think I might like a drink. We do have the box of wine but it is not even open. Yet. I think I will steer clear for awhile. I never go to a bar unless it was to run down the mayor to sign paper work for me and to process the liquor license yearly. I was the city clerk. And now I think the one bar in town closed so it would be 10 miles each way. UGH

Mostly I was curious and your explanation makes total sense. This might also help others that are considering a little nip for New Years.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Asking one more dumb question on this alcohol consumption. If alcohol does not have carbs in it how come diabetics are not supposed to drink? Does it trigger BG even with out Carbs in it?
    SOI:

I'll "second" Frob's comments and add a couple of my own.

First, it's important to keep in mind that each person consider the various "side effects" of any foodstuff in light of their own particular circumstance. Whether it's alcohol, dairy, cholesterol, whatever. Because "x" food affects a T2D negatively (for example), doesn't "necessarily" mean it produces the same effect on a "non" T2D. That same substance MAY, in fact, also have positive effects on those not sharing the T2D "problems".

I suggest this point, NOT in "defense" of alcohol consumption per se, but rather as just something to keep in mind whenever reading "anyone's" comments, advice, or opinion - MINE, Frob's, or anyone else posting on the various boards, groups, forums, or blogs.

If you haven't already, take a look at some of the posts on the "clean eating/"real" food" groups as an example. Some of them are so myopic as to be downright silly - let alone factually incorrect and irresponsible. Most of us here adhere to "clean" diets (whatever "clean" and "real" means<g>) but make our decisions based on the science, not on dogma, and as they relate to OUR particular situation - that, IMO, is as it should be.

Back to alcohol, as general rules of thumb, "hard liquor" (spirits) have 0 carbs, red "table" wines have about 0.75 carb/oz (3.5-4.0/5oz), whites a little closer to 1.0/oz, and the "fruity" wines can be all over the map but generally much higher.

"Spirits", by themselves = 0 carbs ("most" of them at least) - it IS the "mixers" that are a problem (carb-wise), so "straight up/on the rocks", or with plain water is best, anything else you will have to add the carbs for that.

I have no idea why (but would bet on some "back room/special interest lobbyist deal") wines and liquors are not required to include nutrition labels on the bottle (at least in "most" if not all, states in the US), but they aren't. It will take some effort on your part to separate the good from the bad but many vintners and liquor producers do now include the info on their websites. While it's better than nothing, it's still wise to question any which appear "too good to be true" since it's tough to be sure their "testing" methodology is on par with that mandated for other foodstuffs. For me, if it's not available, I'll shoot them an email asking why not and advising that until it is, I'll not be purchasing their product.

Personally, I add lemon water as a "mixer" (but more as a "volume extender") to both spirits (which I "very" rarely ever drink) and to wine. It wouldn't work for wine "aficionados" but does for me since I drink mostly $12 a "box" wine to begin with and it let's me stretch out 3 or 4 "glasses" when spending time with friends while still keeping to a 5oz "total" amount of actual wine (4 carbs). Works for me, might not for others, just a matter of finding what does "work" for you.

As Frob stated in his 3 points (all of which I agree with) "any" alcohol affects both inhibition control (with resulting diet and social "issues") and hydration so, if nothing else when you drink - drink water, keep your mouth shut and you pants on.

His points about the liver and ketones is correct but doesn't go quite far enough. Not only does alcohol affect ketone production, it also impacts the metabolic process of the other foods consumed because the liver is "hard-wired" to prioritize the metabolism of the alcohol FIRST - before dealing with the other nutrients and while it's somewhat of an oversimplification, one can think of it as effecting "stopping" the processing of anything else UNTIL it's done dealing with the alcohol.

OTOH, there ARE documented "positive" effects of alcohol. Red wine is probably the "best" but even other wines or spirits have been shown to reduce "stress" levels and, as noted, lower both BP and BG levels which, in someone experiencing "moderately" elevated levels of either, can be a "good thing".

If the "positives" outweigh the "negatives" in YOUR particular case (taking in to account ALL of the "variables" specific to YOU - is a decision only YOU can make for yourself.

As the saying goes, "there are no "dumb" questions..." - the only "dummies" are those that don't ask and don't seek to learn.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    I guess what really got me to thinking about having a drink was a mention of Vodka stinger. Well I am SURE cream DeMenth , HA spell check wants to call it demented. Does have the carbs in it. Yes I looked it up 22 carbs the one site said. So my brain was trying to come up with how to de carb it. All I can think of is make it like a white russian. and add the cream and a wee drop of pure mint oil. Crazy me.

But some times on this WOE I feel like I just want something so forbidden and special and in the end it not be full of carbs. I just dropped another 2 pounds below my lowest bump so I am counting it. Right now I do not want to do anything to up set the apple cart. I know this is not a race to the finish but I need to see some results once in awhile.

And in the beginning of this fresh start the end of November I was really really sick from suddenly dropping the carbs and adding the fat. It has been months as in I do not remember when I had the last glass of wine. I think I will just let it go for now. This is all very interesting though and I am looking forward to feeling ok with a glass of wine. Just adds that one more bit of not being on a diet to this WOE.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I guess what really got me to thinking about having a drink was a mention of Vodka stinger. Well I am SURE cream DeMenth , HA spell check wants to call it demented. Does have the carbs in it. Yes I looked it up 22 carbs the one site said. So my brain was trying to come up with how to de carb it. All I can think of is make it like a white russian. and add the cream and a wee drop of pure mint oil. Crazy me.

But some times on this WOE I feel like I just want something so forbidden and special and in the end it not be full of carbs. I just dropped another 2 pounds below my lowest bump so I am counting it. Right now I do not want to do anything to up set the apple cart. I know this is not a race to the finish but I need to see some results once in awhile.

And in the beginning of this fresh start the end of November I was really really sick from suddenly dropping the carbs and adding the fat. It has been months as in I do not remember when I had the last glass of wine. I think I will just let it go for now. This is all very interesting though and I am looking forward to feeling ok with a glass of wine. Just adds that one more bit of not being on a diet to this WOE.
    SOI;

Totally "anecdotal", undocumented, unexposed to the rigors of anything even remotely resembling "science", BUT.......

In the beginning, I dumped wine completely when starting out LCHF.

Never was a beer/hard liquor drinker and while in our Italian home we had wine on the dinner table since I was in diapers, for the last 15 years or so I was a wine drinker "only" Fri and Sat nights (subject to DOT "random" testing at a job that not only involved kids but where "zero tolerance" meant immediate termination and possible jail time).

Since retirement and after my initial "cold turkey" I'm back to my pre DOT, pre LC ways of "a glass or two" with my bride, most nights, at dinner and "a glass or six" when sitting around with friends for an afternoon or extended dinner.

Difference is, "4 or 6" ='s "1 or 2" (watered down).

I've honestly noted no change in weight loss rates (that I can "blame" on the wine).

Weight loss rate DID decline over time but not more than what would be expected and is reported by others who totally abstain throughout.

Can I "prove it"?
    No
    Will you (or anyone else) experience the same or similar results?
    I have absolutely no way of knowing and wouldn't even think of offering an opinion since it would be totally worthless.

All I can tell you is that my nightly glass (or so) of wine is a part of my life I don't particularly want to "give up" (because I DO believe the benefits outweigh the risks) - UNLESS there is a really good reason to do so and so far, at least, I haven't seen one.

Now "sugar" (in all its forms), "sweets", HFCS.........THOSE are a different story! (for me)
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Maybe I will do an unscientific experiment and see what happens shortly. I just do not want to make too many changes at one time. I have tried to add more fat the last few days. I just want to see that scale number continue to go down!

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Cheers.
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'll chime in on the alcohol. For some of us, 0 carb or not, alcohol makes it hard to lose. I'm female, so maybe that has something to do with it. The non-scientific explanation I heard was that although many alcoholic drinks have 0 carbs, the body will burn the ethanol before it burns the fat--so you are basically stopping your fat burning/ketone burning metabolism. I have 0 idea of the "science" or lay-knowledge behind that explanation. But I know, anecdotally, that it seems to be true for me. I don't *gain* weight while drinking in moderation. But I don't gain weight while eating a moderate amount of potatoes and rice either. But losing? Forget about it. On all counts. So I like to keep a list of 0 carb alcohols for special occasions (I'm a whiskey girl. Irish whiskey if they have it). But when I'm trying to lose, I'm a teetotaler.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had lost some weight on a standard diet in the first half of 2013 and started running. I hurt myself running and gave up on the diet in fall 2013. Late 2013 I just wanted to get back on track, that was my only goal, I thought I was spiraling out of control again.

Started keto in January 2014, was extremely consistent, literally 3 cheat days in the entire year. Lost 60+ pounds (from 323 to 258 currently), joined a gym. The weight loss and attempts to get more active, while successful so far, have exposed a lot of problems that I have developed over the last 20 years of sitting at a desk being fat and sedentary, I've been in physical therapy since November to work on those problems and the PT will continue well into 2015, but there is a lot of hope that I can fix all my issues and really get in shape.

2015 goals:

1) Persevere through physical therapy and make the most of it. Easily the hardest thing I've ever done.
    2) Reach my goal weight (currently set at 220, I'm 6'4", will adjust as necessary when I get there)
    3) Increase my activity so that I'm doing *something* 5-6 days a week consistently. Right now I'm going to the gym 3 days a week but otherwise am still almost totally sedentary.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My goals for 2015:

Be Consistent each month
    Be able to run a10k

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add my .02 on alcohol. I enjoy white wine. The variety I drink has 3 carbs per 5 ounces. I typically drink anywhere from 0 glasses to 3 glasses per night. I am very good at not "cheating" with my wine. I will have a slice of cheese, nuts and sometimes 1 small slice of pickle. I feel more intoxicated with small amounts of wine now that when I wasn't keto. Also, anymore than 3 glasses and I get an annoying hangover which wasn't true pre keto. Does this affect my weight loss? Maybe.

I am planning to go very strict in January, which means no wine. I'm expecting the weight loss will probably improve without the alcohol.
  • geek23ka
    geek23ka Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Goals!

Follow keto without the atkin's indulge snacks and diet sodas. I think it causes me to crave and I want to try keto without that to see if I am able to stay on better. (today is day 4 and so far so good. I have had the tail end of my atkin's snacks, which are now gone, but no more diet drinks)

Get back to powerlifting.

Solve this joint issue I have. Keep going to the doctor appointments and stop using it as an excuse not to lift.

But! listen to my body. If I am in pain, and not DOMS pain, but real pain, then I need to take it light.

I have been out of commission since just before Thanksgiving. It's been frustrating and I ate like a crazy person and gained all my wonderful keto progress right back because of comfort eating and no more exercise. I just bought Wei-Rui squat shoes and I plan on going back to the gym tomorrow.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    I am with you on the Atkins' snacks. They don't work for me at all. Diet soda doesn't usually cause me problems, but I don't drink it all that much. I usually stick to coffee, water, and unsweet tea.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    A lot of the Atkins brand products use Malitol as their artificial sweetener, which really isn't good at all for most people and has one of the biggest effects on blood sugar (and hunger/cravings as a result) out of all of the different kinds of sugar alcohols.

A lot of keto folks who want to have those types of options available swear by Quest Bars. More expensive, but lots of different flavors. I believe most flavors use Erythritol, which is way, way better than Malitol.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I ended up doing keto on June 1st after watching my diabetic mother struggle, bed-ridden and ill in the hospital for 4 months due to complications from diabetes. It really hit home that at 102lb overweight and gaining, I was on the same path. A path where my children would worry when the next time I would be in the hospital and if I would make it out. A path where my husband would have to be my personal caretaker/servant and change my diapers. HELL NO was I going to keep going there after my nose was rubbed in that.

This year I have managed to lose 72lbs. I'm healthier than I have been since my freshman year in college. I'm in decent shape and getting better all the time. I feel so much better.

In 2015, I'd like to knock off the last 30lbs and stay in shape. I'm hoping my habits will be an inspiration to others in my family and life and will rub off on them. But mostly I hope to enter a lifelong maintenance phase in about 6 months. I want to be a good example for all my children. And not have my quality of life hampered ever again by something as preventable as obesity.