What do you throw in your crock pot?

Options
Got a crock pot for christmas- SO EXCITED!! What do you all toss in there as a good paleo lunch dinner or snack?

Replies

• msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm my go-to is usually pulled pork or pulled chicken :)

- 1 pork tenderloin (or if going the chicken route 3-4 breasts)
    - 2 cloves of finely minced garlic
    - 1 large onion, sliced thin
    - 1 cup of salsa (watch those labels- salsa often gets sugar added but there are brands that are nothing but veggies/fruit)
    - 1/2 cup of finely diced zucchini (this is a great way to hide veggies on kids. The zucchini practically melts away from sitting in the slow cooker, adds moisture and does not add any flavour that kids or picky eaters will notice!)
    - 1/2 cup of vegetable or chicken stock
    - 2 tsp cumin
    - 3 tsp chipotle chili powder
    - 1 small jar of pickled jalapenos, brine drained out before adding jalapenos
    - salt and pepper to taste

- Brown the chicken or pork tenderloin on all sides to get a nice crust; put back in the slow cooker.
    - lightly saute garlic, onions and spices (2-3 min). Return these items to slow cooker
    - add everything else to the slow cooker and let it sit on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours
    - if the sauce in the slow cooker is too watery (dependent on the water content of salsa and zucchini), add 1/2 cup of mashed potato or sweet potato to thicken up the sauce naturally :)

Enjoy!!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This is a great suggestion. I'm not a pork person myself but I would use shredded chicken a million ways and it would be a helpful way to get protein. Thanks!
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I make a butter curry chicken from the paleo download from Mark Sisson (sp) that is YUMMY! Tomorrow I will roast the port tenderloin that i have marinating in the fridge using a spice rub from Paleo Kitchen to make a pulled pork to eat, and then you use the leftovers in a meat loaf with ground beef... again... yummy!
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm eating pork carnitas over sweet potatoes right now! Google for paleo recipe, yum!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions! I think making a shredded meat is a great idea because I can use it several different ways. I'm pretty excited about this crock pot!
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ribs! I'm going to have to alter my favorite recipe though as it calls for brown sugar. You basically rub the ribs with brown sugar, paprika and a small amount of cayenne pepper (if you like the kick). Pour your favorite paleo bbq sauce on and let them cook all day. When they are done if you want a little crispness you can either throw them on the grill or broiler pan for a minute or two.

So, what do you guys think in place of the brown sugar? Maybe rubbing them with a small amount of honey or molasses? I've thought about skipping the sugar all together and adding a diced apple in the pot. Any suggestions? I'm still learning too.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Slow cookers rock!
    I put a whole chicken in for lots of uses. Then use the carcass to make broth.
    Turkey breasts work great, too.
    I also make a sort of casserole with eggs and vegetables.
    Applesauce made with organic apples and no sugar - my kids inhale that.
    And of course beef. You can omit the white potatoes and add things like parsnip or sweet potato.
    I have chili going right now - no beans - made with my own grass fed beef.
    I love my slow cooker.
    Best part is at 4:30 when I realize I don't have to start thinking about what to make for dinner!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I make any type of roast in there, chicken, ribs, bone broth, soups and stews, meatloaf...But I don't add liquid to mine unless its a sauce or salsa. A lot of people do, but I find it makes it way too watery. Like for shredded chicken, I just put chicken breast and season it. I don't do anything else like broth or whatever. It gives off its own juices and then when you shred it it takes back up all or most of it.
    Ribs! I'm going to have to alter my favorite recipe though as it calls for brown sugar. You basically rub the ribs with brown sugar, paprika and a small amount of cayenne pepper (if you like the kick). Pour your favorite paleo bbq sauce on and let them cook all day. When they are done if you want a little crispness you can either throw them on the grill or broiler pan for a minute or two.

So, what do you guys think in place of the brown sugar? Maybe rubbing them with a small amount of honey or molasses? I've thought about skipping the sugar all together and adding a diced apple in the pot. Any suggestions? I'm still learning too.

I think you could use coconut sugar in place of that https://coconutsecret.com/crystals2.html
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think you could use coconut sugar in place of that https://coconutsecret.com/crystals2.html

You rock! Thank you for sharing this. I saw true maple syrup crystals at Sprouts the other day (someone posted about it here somewhere) but did not pick anything up yet. We do love our ribs lol.
  • TriumphTigress
    Options
    SLOW COOKED CURRY

Ingredients
    2 chicken breast
    1 onion
    8 Mushrooms (quartered)
    1 sweet pepper (Cut into strips)
    Chicken Stock
    1tsp Cumin
    1tsp Turmeric
    2tsp Garam Masala
    2 Cloved of Garlic (crushed)
    1 Chilli
    1 Tin chopped Tomatoes (use chopped beef tomatoes if preferred)
    Chicken Stock

In a frying pan heat the olive oil, add crushed garlic, chopped onion, mushrooms, sweet pepper and finely sliced chilli. Fry on a medium heat until the onion is soft

Add Cumin, Turmeric, Garam Masala and stir spiced into the veg. Fry gently for 2 mins. Add the chicken (chopped) and fry until sealed and coated in spices. Add tin of chopped tomatoes. Add a quarter pint of stock Stir, then transfer to slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Serve with cauliflower rice (Grate a cauliflower, add a tsp of water. Microwave for 4 mins). Simples
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options

Sounds great. What is your suggestion for a paleo barbeque sauce? I love bbq sauce on all kinds of meat but it is so sugary I didn't think there was much of a paleo option.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    SLOW COOKED CURRY

Ingredients
    2 chicken breast
    1 onion
    8 Mushrooms (quartered)
    1 sweet pepper (Cut into strips)
    Chicken Stock
    1tsp Cumin
    1tsp Turmeric
    2tsp Garam Masala
    2 Cloved of Garlic (crushed)
    1 Chilli
    1 Tin chopped Tomatoes (use chopped beef tomatoes if preferred)
    Chicken Stock

In a frying pan heat the olive oil, add crushed garlic, chopped onion, mushrooms, sweet pepper and finely sliced chilli. Fry on a medium heat until the onion is soft

Add Cumin, Turmeric, Garam Masala and stir spiced into the veg. Fry gently for 2 mins. Add the chicken (chopped) and fry until sealed and coated in spices. Add tin of chopped tomatoes. Add a quarter pint of stock Stir, then transfer to slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Serve with cauliflower rice (Grate a cauliflower, add a tsp of water. Microwave for 4 mins). Simples

YUM I love Indian food, this is a great one to remember. Most simmer sauces are heavy on the cream so I hadn't figured out how to make it paleo yet!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just made this one last night and loved it. Used bone broth instead of wine: http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/beef/crock-pot-balsamic-roast/