Training for longer backpacking trips

Options
kasaz
kasaz Posts: 274 Member
I'm hoping to backpack both the John Muir Trail and the Wonderland Trail this summer. I hike regularly but haven't backpacked for a while. In fact the last two long distance trips I did were with day packs, Nepal and Tour du Mont Blanc. Do any of you have any specific training programs, or just get the back on while hiking and increase the weight and length of hikes?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I can't offer much advice, but I have a fun story: I was doing an intro backpacking course with the Sierra Club. It was 2 classroom days, a "shakedown" hike (day hike with packs), and then a backpacking trip (we decided on 1 night vs. 2). On the morning of the shakedown hike, before heading out, he was helping us with going through packs to make sure we had everything and it was packed most efficiently and such. Anyway, he had said not to worry about packing cook-able food for the shakedown hike, but to bring an extra 2 lbs. per day of something in its place (so we wouldn't have to repackage it as early before the trip). Since the trip was going to be 2 days/1 night, I brought 2 small dumbbells (2 lbs. each). The guy laughed when he saw that, and I explained... he got all happy when he realized I was following instructions to the letter, but I left them in the car.

Having said that, there have been times that I took extra water on day hikes to add weight to my pack to get more from my workout. That way, I also had extra water to drink and if I couldn't stand the weight, I could easily dump it.
  • kasaz
    Options
    Great story. Yes I plan to put the backpack on and adding extra water is a great idea.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Some of that depends on how heavy your pack is going to get. In the 30-40# range or less I think its more general leg conditioning. My last hike was 27 miles in River to River trail of Illinois and it was more leg strain from terrain change than pack weight. If I did it again my pack would weigh way less.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sign up for Fit Climb.....they offer a free workout schedule. It's based more on Mountaineering, however I have been using it and tweeking it for my needs. Also, I pack EVERY thing in my pack, as if I was going to take the trip, and pick a couple of hikes of the weekend that might possibly have the the same elevation gain / mileage. I am planning a 100 mile trip for August. I am planning on getting used to hiking 15 miles per day, Even tho My biggest days will be 11-12 miles. That way 11 will feel easier, and on the days I only do 9, it will feel like a picnic.
  • kasaz
    Options
    Thanks for the information, Miss Hiker Pants. I will check out Fit Climb. Where are you going in August?
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sign up for Fit Climb.....they offer a free workout schedule. It's based more on Mountaineering, however I have been using it and tweeking it for my needs. Also, I pack EVERY thing in my pack, as if I was going to take the trip, and pick a couple of hikes of the weekend that might possibly have the the same elevation gain / mileage. I am planning a 100 mile trip for August. I am planning on getting used to hiking 15 miles per day, Even tho My biggest days will be 11-12 miles. That way 11 will feel easier, and on the days I only do 9, it will feel like a picnic.
    Thanks for the Fit Climb tip, that's great resource for this new hiker.
  • winninginlosing
    winninginlosing Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have actually already thru hiked the JMT (and may do it again this summer, schedule permitting, so I may see you on the trail!). I would definitely recommend focusing on hiking inclines (and declines if you already have knee issues) as much as possible as part of your training. Also steps, there are so many steps, like stairs or something even higher would be great. But honestly just get out there and hike as much as you can and get used to the weight of you pack (build up to day hiking with a little more than the weight you expect to carry). I was pretty active before going, but barely did any actual training and although it was hard we were ble to manage about 15 miles per day. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the trail itself, I would love to help! Oh and feel free to add me if you'd like :D