Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• Ewestlu
    Ewestlu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Emma. I'm 25 and currently living in Florida. I just started training for my very first half marathon, the Disney Princess half. I've been running on and off for years and have run a handful of 10ks and countless 5ks so I am excited to get into longer distances. Hoping this group and the monthly challenges will keep me on track with my training plan.
  • ashleyboyes
    ashleyboyes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    HI my name is Ashley, I'm 34 and live in Scotland. I have been running for a few years on and off. I do it mainly to maintain my weight however I have entered a few races over the years. Recently I have been considering a half marathon but haven't done anything about it, its only since seeing the December running challenge on one of the other boards I thought of doing something about it. My plan is to complete the December running challenge then sign up for a local half marathon in the New Year!
  • SusieQ769
    SusieQ769 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Susan. I have been running for a couple of years now. I am currently training to run the half marathon at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. My last race was Disney's Wine & Dine Half Marathon. I have really been struggling mentally to get back in the game after that race. I am hoping that this little challenge might put the pep back in my step that I need!
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Shea.
    I'm 29 and getting my fitness back on track.
    I've never been much of a runner so I'm starting out slow - hoping the January challenge helps get me out there.
    My aim is 1 km a day at first.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Jennifer. I stumbled across this group through the forums. I'm 32 and have now officially been a full year into my fitness journey. I started running in March of this year by the push of a friend. Ran my first 5k race on Mother's day of this year. I ran my first 10k in June, and my first Half on Thanksgiving day. After each race I say I'm done for a little bit. But then I get the itch again and I sign up for something else :smile: I've got my training plan set up and hope to have this challenge in place to keep me accountable.
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I used to be an active runner. Running anywhere between 25-35 miles per week, running almost 6 days a week. I fell of not only the running wagon, but the staying healthy wagon for quite some time. I am trying to get back into it and would love to start running again. My ultimate goal, someday, is to be able to run a marathon. I mentioned that to a few friends of mine, and they weren't too supportive, basically telling me they didn't think I would be able to do it. So here I am, coming to this group for support, guidance and help. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else does, and even though I consider myself a beginning runner again, hope that's okay! :smiley:
  • CLEgirl
    CLEgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am Viola.

I love running; it helps me stay healthy both physically and mentally. Mostly I run by myself, which gives me some alone time. Since moving a bit north in the US, living far west in the time zone, and not having any particular safe place to run when it is dark, my only realistic option is the dreaded treadmill for my morning runs, even in the summer. Not fun and it has reduced my mileage during the weekdays. On the positive side, I am able to add some weight training in addition to running.

This year, my goal is to improve my half marathon time with 10 minutes. That is will be a great challenge, and I have until September to reach that goal. My plan is to try to increase my sustainable speed s little each month.

Looking forward getting inspired by all of you!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,385 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I'm Lind from Calif. Joining this group in hopes of support and help with the motivation. During the warmer months, I do sprint tris and would love to bump up to olympic distance but "running"(haha) is my weak part. Also, my weight keeps creeping and if could get that back down, think it would improve everything else.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Chantal from Calgary. I am just working my way back up after being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last march. I try to run 3x a week. Up to 5 miles on a good day. Can't wait to see everyone's progress. Im a barefoot runner, endurance runner and its awesome!
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Wendy. I live in the Inland Northwest. Ran track & cross country in High School & College. Was faithfully running 2-4 miles a day for years prior to a spinal injury in January 2013. Coming out of 2 sedentary years with a burning desire for fitness, health, wellness, and to complete my 1st Bloomsday this May. I've never been fast or competitive; coasting is more my style. BUT, I do have a goal: 7.46 miles in under 1 hour 12 minutes. I don't know how to achieve this! If I do make this time, next Bloomsday I will be able to start with the runners instead of the walkers. If any of you have advice please let me know.
  • annelinski
    annelinski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Ann. I do triathlons, but I really need to refocus on running for a half marathon on April. I run 11-18 miles a week depending on my training schedule and the weather.
    I have 2 girls 13 and 11 who dance competitively so I also run around their schedules.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    BUT, I do have a goal: 7.46 miles in under 1 hour 12 minutes. I don't know how to achieve this! If I do make this time, next Bloomsday I will be able to start with the runners instead of the walkers. If any of you have advice please let me know.

Hi Wendy and welcome. You are basically asking how to run at a 9:40 pace and sustain it for just under 7.5 miles.

I am not sure what your current fitness level is or where your weaknesses are. So it's hard to answer this question. My best advise is consistent running and try to build weekly milage up slowly. If you run a mile in 9:40, how is your breathing? Is it hard and uncontrollable?

What I would suggest is lots and lots of miles at "conversational pace". About 80% of your weekly milage. That translates to 70-80% of your max heart rate or running at a pace where you can have a conversation with a running partner without struggling to breath (or if you run alone, you should be able to sing the ABC's out loud without struggling to breath). One day a week, run for 20-30 minutes at a tempo pace (or the pace that you can sustain in a race for exactly 1 hour). This tempo run should be preceeded by a slower "warm up" (for a mile or 2) and followed by a slower "cool down" (also for a mile or 2). One day a week, you also need to incorporate a long run (usually it is on the weekends when a job or other responsibilities do not get in the way). Start low and slowly add 1 mile each week or every other week (since you are coming off an injury) till you can run 10 miles. This long run should also be done at conversational pace. Make sure tho that this long run, once a month or every 6 weeks is cut by 2 miles to aid in recovery before increasing milage again. Every so often take an assessment of your weekly milage verses your long run. Your long run should be 33-25% distance of your total weekly milage. So If your long run is 7 miles, you have to make sure that your total weekly milage is somewhere between 21-28 miles (14-21 miles have to be the total of all your other runs for the week.) If not, stop increasing your long run miles and add a mile each week to one of your other runs during the week. Spread out the day that you do your tempo run from your long run. Try to make sure you take a day off from running the very next day after your tempo run (or cross train or run recovery miles which is a pace even slower than conversational pace) and do the same the day after your long run.

This is a recipe for anyone trying to improve their pace for distance running and is relatively new to running or new in getting back to running.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl ^^^^ sorry it took me long to answer. I just noticed your question today.
  • infinitysmuse
    infinitysmuse Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello runners, my name is Crystal, I'm in Florida and I'm a happily married 31 yr old mother of two wonderful boys. One's almost 4 and the other is 3.5 months. I've never been into running, did gymnastics and synchronized swimming in college and high school, but im looking for a new challenge to help get rid of my "baby weight" and then some. Im really good at starting excersize routines, but not the greatest at sticking to them, so i hope with this app and some supportive friends i can reach my goals and do things like play soccer with my older son without having to stop every two minutes because I'm so out of shape :)
    I've done 4 5ks in the last 5 months (mostly walked) and want to work up to running them instead. My best time so far is 33 mins which i know is awful but everyone starts somewhere. Thank you and please feel free to friend me.
  • Jazzysoul
    Jazzysoul Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Stephanie. I joined the group today. I have been running for about 2 years. I still consider myself a new runner mainly because I haven't been consistent with my program. I'd like to change that and I think this group will help me do that. I ran my first and only 5K this past June. I was proud to finish in 37:47. My goals are to run a 10K in April and a half in October. I'll throw in a few 5Ks here and there and hopefully shatter my first run's finish time.

Thanks for creating this group Stan! Good luck to everyone!
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Tracy. I started interval running around 2011. I joined a local running/walking group for women in 2012. For some reason, I never felt apart of the group. I'm a chatty Cathy so I never made that running buddy which was what I was looking for. When I ran alone, I was at my happiest (don't understand that). I had some health issues in 2013 which lead to my having surgery in 2014 so I lost my ability to run weekly.

My goal is to get back to running every week. I'm starting out slow at 2 times a week and will work my way up. Running is such a great stress reliever for me. I'm so clear afterwards that I really miss it. I'm a slow runner, too so I'm hoping to increase my speed as well as my distance. My ultimate goal is to run a half marathon.

This past December I joined the gym at work, and I am working out 5 days a week. I have a gym buddy which is so cool because she does not let me slack off. We attend the group classes, but I'm finding after strength training I need a little something else. I was reading the January Running Challenge, and I was hyped up to go so I'm starting today.

Thank you for creating this group, Stan!
  • monmonxiaolin
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mon, 26 years old, from Thailand. I just joined the group today. I started running few weeks ago, can't remember when was it. I'm using Nike+ for tracking my runs. If anyone here's using this app, please feel free to add me from below link or my ID. I run about 5 times a week, Mon-Fri after work. Looking forward to Feb running challenge.

Also, you can add me on MFP as well, I don't have much friends here.

https://secure-nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/Mon_Kku/
    User name: Mon Kku
  • smariet92
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sheena and I'm 22. I've always been an on and off again runner and I'm hoping joining this group and setting a goal will help me stay commited to running.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Patricia. I have been running for years and have completed 22 marathons, 2 Ironmans, numerous half marathons and 70.3s and lots of shorter distances. I also ride and own horses. Over the last 2 years I have lost a lot of interest in running/ training and gained a lot of weight. I have now lost most of that through following myfitnesspal and mostly walking, and am now looking for motivation to get back to training. I am hoping joining this challenge will help push me back to the level of focus I have had previously.

I am 46, not married, no kids but I have 3 cats and 3 horses. I am a marketing communications professional and a perpetual student. I live in NJ. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
  • ShellyakaLady
    ShellyakaLady Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good Morning Stan,
    My real name is Schacona but please call me Lady! I'm a 44 yr old MoM to a 23 yr old son and we live in Virginia. I recently started running and come to enjoy it, but I also recently stop because I dislike cold weather!!!

But seeing your post today made me realize how much my body has been yearning for me to get back to running - so thank you!!! I appreciate your dedication and I hope one day MyFitnessPal Runners will find mutual grounds to meet and run together!!! Have a bless day!!!