So the new year is almost upon us... my exercise schedule is aiming to be

M - YAYOG
T - Jillian Micheals 30min workout
W - 30mins yoga
Th - YAYOG
F - Jillian Micheals 30min workout
S - 30mins pilates
Su - rest day

Am I incorporating too many different styles of workout? I'm going to use IIFYM for my meal planning, I'm 145lb aiming for 126lb-133lb as I want to be lean but not sure what the scale will need to say in order to achieve this. I'm going to concentrate on what the measuring tape says more as it means more. My scales do have a body fat % but again can't rely on it's accuracy but as long as that is going down and my water % going up then it will still be helpful.

Thoughts and comments please

Replies

• xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, first I had never heard of YAYOG so I had to google it. Wow, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I don't want to join a gym (commitment issues :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) so I've been trying to find a body weight routine that is more than just push ups and squats.

My only concern would be whether or not you are targeting the same muscle groups on the YAYOG and Jillian Michaels days. Are you using the app or the dvd for YAYOG? Otherwise, it looks good. The Yoga and Pilates should both be very beneficial.

I might try to follow a similar schedule but with running added in.
  • FitWithVic
    FitWithVic Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Xenl

I'm slightly wary for the exact reason you said, so I'm now thinking Body Revolution on Mon & Tues (one front of body the other back) Wed yoga Thurs & Fri YAYOG (the first 8 workouts on the app are mixed muscles so it should be ok by leaving the gap between it and Jillian BR. Sat Pilates plus the occasional ParkRun (I really enjoy running but I look after my little girl during the day and then work in the evenings so my running career is on hold;) )

I will reasses at the end of Feb as want to give it ten weeks and see what happens, I started the exercise this week and as of Monday 5th will be tracking my food with IIFYM (another acronym for you :P) we're having family round on NYD I need to eat up the leftovers first!

Let me know how you get on with your schedule? :)
  • xenl
    Options
    I decided to download the app and do one of the 10 week programs. I chose the "first class" cause I was like, "pfft, I can do more than 10 push ups". Well, I can't do the 'let me ups' with a straight leg so back to basic it is lol.
  • FitWithVic
    FitWithVic Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lol cos I can relate to that when I do a Jillian Michaels workout and she is like "this is easy!" and I'm like you whatttttt!!!!

I did complete the 10 week basics before but I got fed up as I like the interaction doing a DVD otherwise it is just a bit too lonely working out at home so that's why I need to mix it up!

Cycling 10miles today so mixing it up slightly, hoping to squeeze in some yoga when I get home from work and then enjoy NYE!
  • xenl
    Options
    I did the Basic today. It was challenging - but mainly because my dog and my roommate's two dogs decided they wanted to be right where I was. At one point I was doing push ups over two of them.

My plan right now:

Days 1-4 YAYOG plus Sworkit (core for now) and run
    Day 5 Yoga and run
    Day 6 Pilates and run
    Day 7 Stretch and run

I'm working on a run streak. On day 3 right now.
  • jkb06f
    jkb06f Posts: 7
    Options
    I just downloaded YAYOG! Hope it will work for me.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My basic work out schedule for the next 12 weeks

M-Run/core
    Tue- Run/strength
    W- Yoga
    Thurs- Run core
    Fr- Rest
    Sat- strength/circuit
    Sun-Long run/core

The running will be alternated with elliptical and cycling as needed since a lot of my running will have to be indoors due to weather conditions here. Also, some Sat and Sun maybe swapped for races so those will vary and alternate a little bit. This is the basic structure for my half marathon training plan. After the half is over I will be changing it up a bit.
  • Silveya
    Silveya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten about Sworkit! I love that silly little app. Really good when your on the fly and easy to see on your phone or tablet! Ty for mentioning it and reminding me about it. I have to look into YAYOG now. Sounds like it's impressed all of you.

As far as different styles of workouts: Personally, I think that's best. You'll get a larger range of motion and be exercising more muscle groups then if you were just doing one type. Seems like you'd stay more flexible while becoming a stronger, more toned you. I'd also caution about targeting the same muscle groups though, which you already knew. Have fun with it! :)