Exercise ideas

Options
Alright, I'm trying to find the "right" way for me to get more exercise into my life. I'm 30 years old, about 5'8" and just north of 330 pounds. I can get very intense, but often feel that my weight is holding me back from doing the kinds of exercise I want to do most. My husband says that I mentally can do the things that I physiclly can't do, and easily get frustrated that these two aspects of myself aren't more equal. A few years ago, I studied Ti Kwon Do, but reached a point where I simply couldn't kick as high as I needed to in order to advance. I'm currently involved in archery, which is good strength training, but doesn't do much for burning calories. I enjoy walking, except when the weather's bad or I get lazy.... bad excuse, that's something else I'm working on.

My husband and I love to scuba dive on our vacations, so he thought some kind of water aerobics would be good for me, but I'm having a hard time picturing 1) myself in a swim suit in public and 2) water aerobics as something other than half a dozen 80 year old grandmothers doing synchronized swimming. I know other types of programs must exist, that's just the picture that always comes to my head.

Anyway, I wanted to see if any of you had similar issues and what types of things you have tried and enjoyed.

PS- if anyone does water aerobics I absolutely meant no offense! I know that different things work for different people, and what I picture in my head isn't one of those things I could get excited enough to do that I would actually do it, and that's what I'm looking for.

Replies

• vaunche
    vaunche Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Me and exercise don't get along well either I have that same head body thing along with early onset Rheumatoid arthritis so I understand the difficulties. I have a recumbent bike that I am using and I use my Wii Fit Then I only humiliate myself at home lol. My plan is that once I get comfortable working out at home then I will go to the gym and use the membership that I have had gathering dust for two years. See I procrastinate too lol I did diet alone for a week, this past week I added in the above exercise and I am hoping to add in the gym in a couple of weeks and doing weights there.
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Well, you could try out different types of workout s at home by checking out different exercise DVD s from the library; you could try yoga, Pilates, walking off the pounds with Leslie Sansone, or Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred which if you are looking for intensity, that could be a good option.

I certainly found that by working out at home, I became much more aware of my physical capabilities, developed a healthier self concept, and was able to make the adjustment to engaging in a more public physically active lifestyle. Good luck finding a good fit for you.
  • Skittles2183
    Skittles2183 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    I started out at 370lbs and I jumped right into zumba, I was the heaviest person in the class and I still am. I started Jan 2013 and what I love now is when I go I know all the ladies and the teachers and then keep me coming back. I also do body pump and other exercise classes. I was scared to show up to the classes and let people see me. then one day i said the hell with it and just went and I didn't care what anyone thought about me because I am doing this for me and not what they will think. so yes its scary to (think of your self in a swim suit) or in my case what everyone is thinking about me when I go to the gym. but I enjoy it. it took a lot of (balls) for me to do it. I say try everything and anything you can. look up videos, I have done the biggest loser videos on youtube ( i only do free videos I can find ) 30 day shred ( it sucks but it's good) I also just did a bit ago Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds ( she has a ton of videos on youtube for free ) fitnessblender has some good ones too. I do a lot of wii too, I love the hula hoop thing and boxing lol, I also do the just dance, thats fun as well. but don't let your fears stop you from doing something you like plus the water classes some are hard core but I truly understand what you mean about it being for older people haha. I just hope you find something you really enjoy because then it won't feel like a work out but will be fun.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I LOVE AQUAFIT!!!! One of my two favorite exercises! I can't wait to get back in the pool! In the summer, I cannot do aquafit because it is an indoor pool, and for some reason, if it is hot outside (or even warmer), being around an indoor pool makes me feel sick to my stomach. In the summer I swim at public pools as much as possible....I don't give a crap who is there, mostly teenagers and little kids, meh, whatever! In the aquafit, it is mostly older ladies, and a few my age, but again, I do not really care. In fact, at my YMCA, the pool is surrounded by windows, so on one side everyone that comes in the front door sees you, everyone eating at the cafe, on the other side, anyone in the gym. Then there are windows out the top, so people on the second floor walking in the treadmill are right at the window facing you. I really could not care less, if they do not want to look, nobody is forcing them, right? I weight about 390lbs, just for reference.

This summer I barley got to swim outside cuz it rained way more often than usual, so I only got in the pool a few times. There was even one day I went to the pool but never got in cuz it was too cold outside....I was bummed. Then by the time it was cold enough out to go back to the Y to swim, I got a bad sore on my leg and could not swim. But my DR gave me the clear now, so as soon as this cold is gone, I am going to put my gym bathing suit (which is the most unflattering speedo thing you can picture, but it keeps everything in its place when I am jumping around lol), and get to aquafit class, so much fun!!

My second favorite exercise is yoga. If they have classes at good times for me I will go, but class schedule changes every four months, so sometimes it is at a time I cannot attend so I will just do it at home. At the Y I also do strength training on a program made for me, using fitlixx which not only sends you a report every month on how you are doing, but counts your reps for you and tells you if you are doing it correctly (too fast/slow or moving too far or not far enough).

• thegenesischild
    thegenesischild Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your help!
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When I was at 400 and starting, I used the pool. Couldn't handle much else. Started out just walking, then jogging in the pool. I did that until running an hour in the pool was just too easy and started taking it to the other part of the gym. You can do other stuff in the pool too. Water "weights" that are styrofoam that add resistance when you use them in the water, noodles (work great to put under your foot or knees to work legs). Also if there are stairs you can do gradual 'step ups' where the water is still helping you and taking some of the stress off the joints.