NROL4W at home?

Right now the gym is not an option. I also have 50-60# to lose and a lot of strength to gain. I own the Bowlfex selectech weights and a yoga ball. No weight bench and no room for one but I do have stools that can likely work for a step up box.

And I don't currently have a pull-up bar but I think using one would be far down the line for me anyway.

Anyone here do NROL4W at home? At least starting out?

Replies

• dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Yep. I started with some basic dumbbells, a swiss ball and bodyweight substitutions of some of the exercises. That kept me going for a fair while actually - I took it nice and slow :smile:

Read the book thoroughly, and then research at-home options before you start. It helped me to work on my form and get my head into the right space where I was wanting to make space and buy all the gear lol Also made me realise I was a lot stronger than I thought :wink:

I still workout at home. The only difference is that now I have a squat rack and a nice little setup in my garage :smile:
  • SwampWitch75
    SwampWitch75 Posts: 98 Member
    Awesome, thanks!
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    I was at the gym but having all those people there in my way started driving me insane so I figure at home is the way to go for me. I should be starting back again in January, have to wait for some Santa gifts first ;)
    There are a few on here that do it at home, all a matter of finding variations and making sure you are still lifting heavy.
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    I just started on Sunday and working out at home. I am so glad I found this group! I am excited to get into this program. I have weight to lose as well (a lot) and wanted a switch from mostly cardio.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    There's a ton of info on the web about variations. Search your body is your gym or convict conditioning.
    Almost anything you make unilateral ie single leg squats instead of two legged squats will increase the weight of the exercise.
    I workout at the gym but if I can't make it to the gym there is plenty to do at home with my adjustable 25 lb dumbbells.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Hi! I just got the book and hope to start the program in January! I don't have a gym membership anymore and was HOPING you could do this program from home. I had talked with a couple MFPals all have said it is possible....so I am gonna give it a try :smile:

I was wondering if I should wait till I lose a little more before I start...(I have like 40 lbs or more to my actual goal!) Thoughts/suggestions welcome :smiley:

Also would love any new friend adds!
  • Roxy_Arcane
    Roxy_Arcane Posts: 115 Member
    Im starting to workout at home also, I stopped for a while because I broke my ankle. But its healed now.
  • terrie_k
    Anyone at home know if they can get by with just dumbells? I think I have to wait for all the resolutioners to quit before I can get a decent bench/barbell set used.
  • Roxy_Arcane
    Dumbells are all i have..
  • terrie_k
    Have you started Roxy? How have the dumbbells been if so? I read up on some changes for certain exercises to make them more difficult when you get past your max dumbbells.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    If you only have dumbbells, use dumbbells :smile: Research all the different things you can do to change it up when you need more difficulty.

I only had dumbbells when I first started, and for quite a while after that actually.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Start with dumbbells- lots of people do. I used mainly dumbbells for the first six months
  • Roxy_Arcane
    Yeah there working pretty good for me, but I'm hoping to invest in a barbell