Adding Breastfeeding to daily kj/cal Intake

Options
beneluxliberty
beneluxliberty Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
So, i did my research and discovered that breastmilk is 6.8cal per 10 ml (or 20cal per ounce for my non metric buddies) *

So, what you need to do is figure out how much milk a day baby eats. For me it is about 120ml 5 times a day (i supplement 30ml of formula each feed to make it 150ml). So that equals 6.8×12×5=408 cal (1708kj).

THEN you have to go into MFP and add a custom cardiovascular exercise that burns the total amount you figured out you use making all that boob juice and add it in every day.

Hope this helps and makes sense to you guys.

* http://exclusivepumping.com/2014/03/13/losing-weight-while-exclusively-pumping-part-1-how-many-extra-calories-do-i-really-need/

Replies

• cloudsnapper
    cloudsnapper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was trying to figure that out. Now I need to figure out how much my guy eats. (He's 3 months and 15ish pounds. I'm about to Google it. )
  • keeksmonster
    keeksmonster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I noticed other BroMos adding "breastfeeding" and couldn't figure it out. Just have to figure out how much my little eats.
  • vanlynnyoung
    vanlynnyoung Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have no clue how much my chubster eats. He never gets a bottle and I stopped pumping. I just know he feeds every 2-3 hours and eats all night practically. Google told me it's usually around 500 calories so I'm cheating and using that cause I don't know how to figure it out otherwise......
  • beneluxliberty
    beneluxliberty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I guess im lucky with the fact i am only pumping and bottle feeding so i know exactly how much im making.
  • imaginaryannie
    imaginaryannie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @vanlynnyoung‌, agreed! I'm estimating on 400 calories, just so I don't end up screwing myself in case he doesn't eat as much as I'd hoped.
  • skylarjd
    skylarjd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also if you search for breastfeeding in the add foods section, there are different options that will subtract different amounts of calories from your total. I don't know how much my bub gets, but he nurses 3+ times a day so I went with -200.
  • heathersh22
    heathersh22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like she said ^^ you can also add as a food and it will be negative. When I was breastfeeding < 6 mo, I couldn't cut calories, I lost milk supply. So instead I logged and ate to hunger a couple of days, and then just set it to be at that amount (I think it was pretty high, like 2400 or something). But some people can cut calories just fine while feeding and it doesn't affect supply. It's super weird how different we all are.