Ice cold hands and feet?

Options
deoxy4
deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
I have been maintaining a daily carb load of less than 50 grams daily for 6 weeks or so. In the last week or ten days my hands and feet have been uncomfortably icy cold. I have not had any thyroid issues in the past.

Today I upped my carbohydrates to around 225 gm by adding a few cups of white rice and a couple of green apples. My hands and feet are comfortably warm. I would like to continue on with the Keto diet but may need to find a new carbohydrate level at which my hands and feet don't freeze.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes, my hands and feet are freezing all the time, but it was the same before restricting my carbs. For me, totally unrelated to this way of eating.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been on Keto for 4 1/2 months and lost about 47 lbs. Pre-Keto I was hot all the time. Now, since I lost the weight, I am cold during the day, at work, I were a light hoodie. I am assuming that 47 pounds less fat is less insulation, hence ~ feeling colder.

BUT, when I sleep at night, my body temp gets so hot, its like a fever. Even my feet are toasty. I keep my house at 52 degrees, I only have a good quilt and a single sheet. If I turn the thermostat up as little as 3 degrees, I have trouble sleeping (too >:) hot). Go figure...

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    It has nothing to do with carbs and everything to do with not enough salt and electrolytes. Low carb diets cause your body to dump out electrolytes through urine, so you need to always salt your food and eat foods high in potassium and magnesium (avocados and pumpkin seeds) or take a supplement.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I have been on Keto for 4 1/2 months and lost about 47 lbs. Pre-Keto I was hot all the time. Now, since I lost the weight, I am cold during the day, at work, I were a light hoodie. I am assuming that 47 pounds less fat is less insulation, hence ~ feeling colder.

BUT, when I sleep at night, my body temp gets so hot, its like a fever. Even my feet are toasty. I keep my house at 52 degrees, I only have a good quilt and a single sheet. If I turn the thermostat up as little as 3 degrees, I have trouble sleeping (too >:) hot). Go figure...

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Holy smokes Dan...literally...lol

I similarly run hot and cold. I have some autoimmune issues, but put off heat like a butane heater at night. I'm 47, so....there may be other reasons for that :open_mouth: