Weight loss stagnation

Options

Replies

• tpyle65
    tpyle65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As counter intuitive as it seems, you may not been eating enough! You need protein and a reasonable amount of calories for your body to continue to shed pounds. My current target is around 1,000 per day. And I do regular exercise. Revisit your plan, and follow what has been recommended for you, and track what you are eating. As some have said before, stay hydrated and make sure you are having the appropriate amount of protein you need for your health after surgery. You may not feel hungry, but your body needs nutrition! Also limit how many times you weigh yourself. During my first year after surgery I kept weekly records. After that, monthly. After 7 years I still do it monthly, just to be sure I'm trending correctly. Pick a day and just weight yourself on that day at the same time, if practical. Good luck, and stay the course.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    600 to 800 while you have a lot to lose sounds about right. Calories are a measurement of energy, and you have plenty of energy stored in fat. Make sure you get your necessary nutrients while also keeping calories low.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. For some reason we all hear and see the people who have the surgery and the pounds 'melt' off. I was really concerned because at my 2 1/2 month check up i was stalled. My surgeon said it was actually very common and to not compare myself with other people. Everyone has different work schedules, eating habits, sleeping habits, metabolism, and body chemistry. This was great for me to see as well since I went all through December not losing anything and that was my 3rd month out of surgery. So in total Ive only lost about 33 pounds since my surgery October 13th, 2014. My surgeon also has such a vague eating plan that it doesnt include calorie goals or set foods. But I do tend to eat between 600-850. Sometimes I go over just a bit and sometimes I go under, and usually when I go under then Im really hungry the next day.
  • tedrapaige
    tedrapaige Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok, so....this week I've gained weight. Which is making me crazy. My husband thinks that I'm not eating enough, so I might try a week of 1000 calories a day to see what that does for me...
  • jacqbult
    Options
    tedrapaige wrote: »
    Ok, so....this week I've gained weight. Which is making me crazy. My husband thinks that I'm not eating enough, so I might try a week of 1000 calories a day to see what that does for me...

I gained a pound lost a pound a few times and I am just a little over 2 mo out. I know I should not step on the scale everyday but it taunts me!!!!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    jacqbult wrote: »

I gained a pound lost a pound a few times and I am just a little over 2 mo out. I know I should not step on the scale everyday but it taunts me!!!!

I understand the mental part of this BUT it's a bad idea. Our weight shifts from day to day as much as 5 pounds average, mostly fluid. If you weigh once a month you might not know you have ever stalled! I my self only weigh at the Dr. appointments, this way I avoid being discouraged. If you read what other people say on this board you'll find them thinking they are failing because their weight change didn't meet there expectations. I can't tell you I have stalled from 283 to 192 my surgery date was July 23 so I'm about 6 months out.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My observations might be totally off what your medical professionals have told you. I was told to get in at least 80 grams of protein a day, but given no calorie guidance otherwise. I have found that I lose much better getting in around 1300 calories a day. Maybe I was in starvation mode..i really don't know. I had RNY 2/10/14 and have lost 130 pounds.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was also told to focus on getting in the protein. I also try to avoid high sugar foods and that seems to work pretty well.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity...how many calories a day do you all get through? I don't know if I'm eating too much or too little...

I eat 1,000-1,100 calorie per day and 70-80 grams of protein. But remember, I am 3.5 years out now. I also have another 62 pounds to goal. Ask you nutritionist what you should be eating calorie and protein wise. They are the experts.

• sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 3 years out and can eat about a cup of food at a time. I eat 1100-1200 daily with 80 ish protein daily. I was told by the nutritionist that with RNY the calorie thing is different than we learned all our years of dieting.

3 weeks out I was still mostly on shakes so I ate maybe 450 a day if I got 2-3 shakes down which was rare. I was just starting soft foods and could only eat about a 1/4 c at a time. I was given a plan to follow so if you weren't talk to your nutritionist.
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh and yes the protein is the most important and take your supplements. I got a stomach virus early after surgery and could not eat for longer than usual and struggled to get the shakes down. I lost hair because of the protein deficiency. I would mostly just eat protein foods.
  • tedrapaige
    tedrapaige Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm only weighing once a week to keep myself from getting too crazy. Maybe I should cut it down to once a month as suggested.

My husband seems to think I'm not eating enough and has encouraged me to up my calorie intake...but my poor little sleeve isn't giving up any extra space. I think I got through about 60g of protein today, which is pretty good for me. That's from an egg for breakfast, chicken for lunch, and chicken for dinner. I'm going to turn into a chicken breast :)
  • ac7nj
    Options
    My wife has said some of the same things to me. But lately she hasn't said anything. I don't mean to say she hasn't been supportive because she has.
    While you turn into a chicken, I'll turn into a fish LOL
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Who wants to be the Turkey :wink: :grinning:
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    im just over a year out and my dietitian currenty has me on 1200 calories since 9 months out
    all subject to change next week with me now being pregnant but dont know where im meant to fit any more food in
  • ac7nj
    Options
    im just over a year out and my dietitian currenty has me on 1200 calories since 9 months out
    all subject to change next week with me now being pregnant but dont know where im meant to fit any more food in

Pregnant throws in a complicated diet plan, just do what your Dr recommends. Your diet plan will be a little different from every one else but you can do it.

Randy RN
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 9/9/14 and I am eating 1000-1100 calories a day. I have also had many stalls. It is common. I was in starvation mode early on and the NUT had me up my calories. I get at 70 - 80 g of protein a day. Some days i get more.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    That's from an egg for breakfast

To help my protein level out a little, I use egg beater to make a scrambled egg and I put a little bit of grated cheese in it. It's not a lot of protein, but every little bit helps.
  • pixelpushr
    Options
    My surgeon gave us a LOT of documentation to explain our new lifestyle including a huge binder and a little pockets sized Cliff's notes book. It has a page called "Plateau Buster" and I'll type below the suggestions:

Increase your water intake (64 oz + per day)
    Look for hidden carbohydrates in food by reading nutrition labels carefully
    Realize this won't be permanent
    Eat foods within the guidelines (70% protein / 30% vegetable)
    Exercise daily to the point you have perspiration on your brow
    Make sure you're getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night
    Make sure you're taking all your vitamins (multi, B-12, calcium, iron)
    Track everything you eat
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I probably spent about 5 months of the first year "stalled" Your body will adjust, you just have to follow the plan. Stop using the scale so much! It will make you stressed and now is not the time for that. Best to you!