just starting out

Options
leooftheyear
leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
I just switched from Stronglifts 5x5 to the NROLFW and have completed workouts 1A & 1B, so far I love it and it is so much more challenging than Stronglifts was for me. Anybody else just starting Stage 1?

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Not yet but I'm considering it after another month or two. I'm trying to decide if once I've gone a while on stronglifts if I will switch to NROLFW or ICF (ice cream fitness). I actually like stronglifts though so want to go through at least 12 weeks with it before making any changes, but then I'd like to learn some different lifts.

ICF is very much like stronglifts but with additional moves each day. The hesitation I have with that one is I don't particular care for rows, let alone doing rows every day. Squats I really like and want to do anytime, but ugh rows.

I've read NROLFW but I'm hesitant about a few of the moves, even in Stage 1. Prone-jackknife is one example. I've never been comfortable or confident using the exercise balls let alone doing any where I need to support myself using my hands, especially since the right is easily aggravated. Some of the moves and lifts seem interesting, though not sure where to find a step that would work at the gym for the box deadlift. So, I'm just overall hesitant about trying it. Plus the meal plan...

Still, it's on the list and I'm considering it but not for at least 4-5 weeks since I'm just near the end of week 8 in stronglifts.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    I started out with Stronglifts and found that i was getting bored doing the same exercises, so i switched to NROLFW. I dont follow the diet plan, some of the recipies look good but i right now i'm focusing on getting stronger and getting my macros right. I dont think the food plan is a necessity, but more a suggestion.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I will be starting up again but this time at home, so some moves will be different before. Just waiting a few more weeks, Feb max, until my new home gym room gets vacated.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I don't get bored but if I do feel it a little, I just switch which playlist I'm listening to that day. Rock most of the time but on occasion I listen to my walking playlist or musicals. I like most of the SL lifts but am starting to stall on bench and ohp. Might need to spice things up and break out of the comfort zone. Maybe I'll be able to do the jackknife thing if I just try it.

So, it's definitely on the consideration list of things to do next. But we'll cheer you on even if not many are starting stage 1 right now.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I recently finished stage 1, and at first I hated the jackknife, but that just made me want to beat it! Lol. After a while I quit falling off the ball and my form started to get better and I actually liked the evil move. I think I'm going to miss it now that I'm in stage 2. I never did get up to 15 reps, but at least I did improve after some time and got up to 12 at my best. Good luck!
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    tauny78 wrote: »
    I recently finished stage 1, and at first I hated the jackknife, but that just made me want to beat it! Lol. After a while I quit falling off the ball and my form started to get better and I actually liked the evil move. I think I'm going to miss it now that I'm in stage 2. I never did get up to 15 reps, but at least I did improve after some time and got up to 12 at my best. Good luck!

i have the same problem, but i did notice last night that i had less issues than i did in the very first workout
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's so wonderful feeling yourself get stronger! :D
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    I just finished up workouts 1 & 2 both A&B and i can already see and feel a difference
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've finished days 1 & 2 and I'm excited about it. However, I don't really feel like I'm getting a good workout in. I'll stick to it though and see what results I get.
  • rstudebaker52
    rstudebaker52 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started on Jan 12th and am almost through week 2. I definitely feel like I am getting stronger but am anxious to actually start seeing some results. I did take before pics and plan to compare at the end of stage 1, so hopefully that will help.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of stage 1 and would love a little on line support team if anyone is interested. :)
  • bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of stage 1, previously did stage 1 & 2 before a few months off of travelling. I've increased all my starting weights and really enjoying going through stage 1 again.
  • Iamkim73
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of stage 1, previously did stage 1 & 2 before a few months off of travelling. I've increased all my starting weights and really enjoying going through stage 1 again.

Just curious, what weight did you start your dead lift, squats and lunges at?
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting after a few years and, already, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to repeat Stage 1.

I'm only at 40lbs on my squat and, even then, I can only get deep enough to get the tops of my thighs parallel to the floor for 4 reps.
  • Iamkim73
    Options
    So you are going to do 24 weeks of stage 1?
    I'm doing pretty well on squats, heavy (2 45 plates) and deep. It's upper body I'm struggling with.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    Iamkim73 wrote: »
    So you are going to do 24 weeks of stage 1?
    I'm doing pretty well on squats, heavy (2 45 plates) and deep. It's upper body I'm struggling with.
    Me? No, I'm doing 16 workouts in Stage 1, times 2, divided by 3 workouts per week (carry the one. . .) that's around 11 weeks and I'm already on week 4. I just want to feel secure in both my form and strength before I move on and, hey, more squats is a good thing, right?

I envy your lower body strength. I tend to do better with my upper body.

• Iamkim73
    Options
    Oh gotcha!!! Don't envy me too much. I have to increase next week.
  • Iamkim73
    Options
    Oops I was supposed to in increase today.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    Iamkim73 wrote: »
    Oh gotcha!!! Don't envy me too much. I have to increase next week.
    Yeah, but think about how many more times I have to increase to get anywhere near what you are lifting.

• Iamkim73
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better I was not totally new to lifting when I started the program.