Q&A Thread 1/7/2015

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Since we started our YouTube channel there is a chance we may discuss some of these questions in video format. Undecided as of now but either way, please post any general questions here.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'll...
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    OK. So I've lost just about all my weight that I should probably lose. I'm pretty lean right now but I am not certain what next to do with my fitness. I figure lifting should be part of it and I don't know where to start or how to compensate from doing 7 days of cardio to adding lifting in there.

I intend to keep doing the cardio (I feel good from it and I like getting out) . So.. it's sort of a "what now?". Key points- I am a stay at home mom without the husband to rely on for watching the kids so I have to do things at home. I have a few weights now I can work with (some plates for the bar- cage wont be set up yet and some waaay too heavy kettle bells of my husbands {16kilos and 24 kilos})

I have Sarauk on my FL and she'll be able to see my last pic in my photos which is the most recent pic of me. I feel lean, but still weirdly flabby in areas.

Thank you for any advice or direction.
  • IamLee1987
    IamLee1987 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hoped you could lend me your expertise/thoughts/opinions on what I should/could be doing differently to ensure I am going in the right direction for my goal.

My goal:
    my main goal is to lose fat, I'd also like to have visible definition (think Brad Pitt in Fight Club, Man-crush!)

MFP diary is currently set at 1950kcal with 40%/30%/30% (Carbs/Protein/Fat) this was a custom setting I had done a while back but can't remember how I came about this?

My Stats:
    Male
    Height: 5ft 9ins / 69"
    Weight: 68kg / 150lbs

I work a desk job 9am-6pm with an hour lunch break which use walking (no showers in the office)

Current Measurements:
    Waist: 35 inches
    Hips: 34 inches
    Chest: 37 inches
    Neck: 15 inches

My current exercise plan:
    Walk for at least 1 hour - 5 days a week
    Run 5K - 2 days a week OR 20 minute HIIT - 2 days a week
    Lifting - 3 days a week

My lifting routine (3 sets of 10-15 reps)
    Abdominal Crunches @ 15kg
    chest press machine @ 20kg
    seated shoulder press machine @ 15kg
    lat pull down machine @ 30kg
    biceps curl machine @ 15kg
    triceps extension machine @ 15kg
    leg press machine @ 60kg
    standing calf raises @ 16kg

I will increase weight slightly every week until I am unable to complete a set.

So with the above information, Is there anything I should be doing differently or more of?

Many thanks,
    Lee.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Good questions to both of you above. We will discuss these and either post here via written answer or we'll discuss this on a vid soon.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    How much is too much cardio? When i lift (I do an upper/lower body split M,T, Th, F) i do a 5 minute warmup on the eliptical, and after my session, i do 20 minutes on the dreadmill. If i do an hour cardio session on my day off from lifting, would that deplete muscle growth? I'm looking to lean out ( i know being in a calorie deficit helps with that) but don't want to muscle either.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to do a bulk, my first time, here soon, end of January. But I have a cruise coming up in May and I was wondering should I bulk after or start end of this month?? I want to look good for the cruise, but I also want to get started on bulking. Hope this isn't a stupid question. Thank you.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When transitioning from a cut to a bulk, are there any advantages or disadvantages between slowly increasing calories over the course of a few weeks vs jumping straight into a surplus?

Edit: Also same question for transitioning from bulking to cutting: straight into a deficit or gradually lower calories?
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    How much does body type (endomorph, ectomorph etc.) factor in modifying your macros? I've read so many things that say endomorphs should eat a lower percentage of carbs and more protein as well as exercise consistently, all the time as we are prone to gaining fat quickly. This goes against the "calories in vs calories out" concept that I've always followed. Just curious what your thoughts are.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    When transitioning from a cut to a bulk, are there any advantages or disadvantages between slowly increasing calories over the course of a few weeks vs jumping straight into a surplus?

Edit: Also same question for transitioning from bulking to cutting: straight into a deficit or gradually lower calories?

Good question. I have always done it slowly, both ways. Curious if I'm just wasting my time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Jams009 wrote: »

Good question. I have always done it slowly, both ways. Curious if I'm just wasting my time.

This is actually a great topic for a video as, while there are 'rule of thumb' recommendations its a bit nuanced (as well as needs to be caveated and put into perspective) and would be a good one to discuss.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    lorigem wrote: »
    How much does body type (endomorph, ectomorph etc.) factor in modifying your macros? I've read so many things that say endomorphs should eat a lower percentage of carbs and more protein as well as exercise consistently, all the time as we are prone to gaining fat quickly. This goes against the "calories in vs calories out" concept that I've always followed. Just curious what your thoughts are.

There is no compelling evidence that your somatotype (which I am using in the context of how people use it here) plays any roll in macro selection.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How much is too much cardio? When i lift (I do an upper/lower body split M,T, Th, F) i do a 5 minute warmup on the eliptical, and after my session, i do 20 minutes on the dreadmill. If i do an hour cardio session on my day off from lifting, would that deplete muscle growth? I'm looking to lean out ( i know being in a calorie deficit helps with that) but don't want to muscle either.

What type of cardio?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    After many years of ignorance, I see diet and exercise as an investment in my overall health and longevity. Outside of any specific athletic goals (I.e.. Recreational lifter only and not looking to compete), is there a specific lifting modality (bodybuilding, powerlifting, or circuit training) one should concentrate on more that has been shown to help "play catch-up" better for those getting to the iron "later in the game" as it relates to health and longevity?
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune, attacks thyroid) last Spring and was unable to lose weight on 1300-1600 calories per day. I am currently going gluten free (recommended for Hashi's) very low carb at 1400 and have seen a modest loss over the past month. I'm on medication but hesitant to increase it because of the bowel problems it can cause.

I finally have access to a gym to begin with weights again (had a brief love affair with them a more than a year ago and then we moved) I want to do a recomp, with approx. 30lb to lose, and was wondering if I should eat at tdee or if I should eat at 1400 and add calories on lifting days?

5'3", 166.5 lb, My tdee is calculated at an average of 2000 using different calculators. I read in a thyroid forum that I should try eating at tdee -200 -20% for weight loss but this did not take an actual recomp into consideration. Cannot find anything about hypothyroid patients and weightlifting, recomp, etc. I'm beginning to think we don't exist. Haha sigh.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    OK. So I've lost just about all my weight that I should probably lose. I'm pretty lean right now but I am not certain what next to do with my fitness. I figure lifting should be part of it and I don't know where to start or how to compensate from doing 7 days of cardio to adding lifting in there.

I intend to keep doing the cardio (I feel good from it and I like getting out) . So.. it's sort of a "what now?". Key points- I am a stay at home mom without the husband to rely on for watching the kids so I have to do things at home. I have a few weights now I can work with (some plates for the bar- cage wont be set up yet and some waaay too heavy kettle bells of my husbands {16kilos and 24 kilos})

I have Sarauk on my FL and she'll be able to see my last pic in my photos which is the most recent pic of me. I feel lean, but still weirdly flabby in areas.

Thank you for any advice or direction.

Given your circumstances you might want to entertain the idea of body-weight training.

A few programs that I would suggest googling would be

You Are Your Own Gym
    Convict Conditioning

Since you're presumably new to resistance training you will likely make decent progress with body-weight programming and additionally it seems to be a good fit given your circumstances. You could also add in some traditional weight training exercises with some of the equipment you have.

• SideSteel
    Options
    I hoped you could lend me your expertise/thoughts/opinions on what I should/could be doing differently to ensure I am going in the right direction for my goal.

My goal:
    my main goal is to lose fat, I'd also like to have visible definition (think Brad Pitt in Fight Club, Man-crush!)

MFP diary is currently set at 1950kcal with 40%/30%/30% (Carbs/Protein/Fat) this was a custom setting I had done a while back but can't remember how I came about this?

My Stats:
    Male
    Height: 5ft 9ins / 69"
    Weight: 68kg / 150lbs

I work a desk job 9am-6pm with an hour lunch break which use walking (no showers in the office)

Current Measurements:
    Waist: 35 inches
    Hips: 34 inches
    Chest: 37 inches
    Neck: 15 inches

My current exercise plan:
    Walk for at least 1 hour - 5 days a week
    Run 5K - 2 days a week OR 20 minute HIIT - 2 days a week
    Lifting - 3 days a week

My lifting routine (3 sets of 10-15 reps)
    Abdominal Crunches @ 15kg
    chest press machine @ 20kg
    seated shoulder press machine @ 15kg
    lat pull down machine @ 30kg
    biceps curl machine @ 15kg
    triceps extension machine @ 15kg
    leg press machine @ 60kg
    standing calf raises @ 16kg

I will increase weight slightly every week until I am unable to complete a set.

So with the above information, Is there anything I should be doing differently or more of?

Many thanks,
    Lee.

Hey there Lee.

We may chat about this one on a video as this is a good discussion topic.

As far as immediate changes, assuming we aren't going to re-work your program from the ground up, I would generally recommend doing Leg Press first and Abs last.

As far as your nutrient intake goes it looks within a range of what I'd consider acceptable/reasonable provided that your total calorie intake is reasonable to begin with, but that's an entirely different topic as well because a viable question would be whether or not you should be cutting at this point vs attempting a recomp/etc.

But if we make the assumption that yes, you should be in a calorie deficit then I'd tell you to monitor your change in weight and try to land in a range of .5 to 1% change in weight per week.

I have more to say about this but it would probably come across better in discussion format so I'm going to run this by Sara and see if we can Skype and record it.
  • SideSteel
    Options

In my opinion you're fine and you probably aren't going to start losing muscle. I think some things to consider are how lean you are, the size of the energy deficit you're in, and to a lesser extent when we consider the training as a whole, are you training like a marathon runner who happens to lift a couple of times or are you training like a bodybuilder who does some cardio, or is it somewhere in between?

To my knowledge, the interference effect demonstrated in the literature was done on endurance athletes. So I don't know how much we can conclude on that, other than it might not be a good idea to structure your training primarily around moderate intensity steady state cardio with lifting as an afterthought/secondary aspect to training.

To wrap this up, take all of the above as my current understanding and philosophy on it, and not a statement of fact or science.

Take a look at these videos by Eric Helms as well, and consider context when watching them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmEJGR1_sZc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQRv1CIpjn8
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to do a bulk, my first time, here soon, end of January. But I have a cruise coming up in May and I was wondering should I bulk after or start end of this month?? I want to look good for the cruise, but I also want to get started on bulking. Hope this isn't a stupid question. Thank you.

This type of question is really hard to answer without knowing things about your personality, your preferences, and what your physique currently looks like (and beyond that, not to get too deep but it also matters what your perception of your physique is like). I bring this up because all of those factors are important when it comes to your decision about whether or not you should be in a surplus, a deficit or near maintenance.

To elaborate a bit I have one or two clients who I would hesitate to put into a surplus even though they may be lean enough physiologically to warrant it.

As it pertains to your situation, the only thing I can say with at least some confidence without knowing much about you is that simply being that you are female you are already going to be in a position where it makes sense to keep your rate of gain slow. You don't have nearly as much growth potential as a male and your growth potential is a determinant in how rapidly you should be gaining mass.

For example, if you have the capacity to gain .5lbs/week of pure muscle (think 17 year old male who is new to lifting) then it might be reasonable to intentionally gain 3-4lbs/month (with the hopes that about half of that is pure muscle).

Why am I bringing all of this up?

The slower you gain total body mass, the slower you get fat. If you DO decide to bulk, and I can't say whether you should or shouldn't due to factors previously mentioned, I would keep the surplus on the low end and in doing so you probably aren't going to gain all that much fat.

• Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi... Looking for help on the amount of calories and exercise needed as I am struggling to lose 12 pounds and had a frustrating last several weeks.

Height: 65.5 inches
    Weight: 149
    RMR per recent test is low: 1182

Exercise: zumba two or 3 times weekly at high impact, high cardio
    Yoga 2x weekly (just started)

Calories 1200 to 1300 per day with careful logging last 3 weeks

RMR test print out suggested I eat only 1000 to 1100 to be 'in the weight loss zone' which seems way too low. Especially given that per the scale I went from 147.4 to 148.8 the last two weeks which was very disapointing.

Previously in the summer I was doing NRol4w 3x weekly and zumba 2x weekly and eating 1450 on non lifting days and1600 on lifting days. Probably more due to not careful counting. My weight was stable for several months with that routine.

Any advice will help.... Thanks!
  • IamLee1987
    IamLee1987 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Hey there Lee.

We may chat about this one on a video as this is a good discussion topic.

As far as immediate changes, assuming we aren't going to re-work your program from the ground up, I would generally recommend doing Leg Press first and Abs last.

As far as your nutrient intake goes it looks within a range of what I'd consider acceptable/reasonable provided that your total calorie intake is reasonable to begin with, but that's an entirely different topic as well because a viable question would be whether or not you should be cutting at this point vs attempting a recomp/etc.

But if we make the assumption that yes, you should be in a calorie deficit then I'd tell you to monitor your change in weight and try to land in a range of .5 to 1% change in weight per week.

I have more to say about this but it would probably come across better in discussion format so I'm going to run this by Sara and see if we can Skype and record it.

Hey Sidesteel,

Thanks, I'll switch to leg press 1st and abs last. I'll also keep an eye out for the video discussion.

Lee.