Men on a Mission thread

Options

Replies

• tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello men,

The Holidays are not being very good to me. Or more honestly, I am not being very good to me. I gained another 2.8 pounds this week. Why is it so easy to gain 2 or 3 pounds in a week for me but it literally will take me a month or more to lose that same amount? I have a lot of vacation that I have to use by the end of the year so will not be putting up charts most likely.

I am also finally going to get back with a doctor and get myself checked out. I have scheduled an appointment with a nutritionist too. Hopefully she can help me get on track.

Dave, I know you will be back in the 100's here in no time. I hope you other men are taking care of yourselves and look forward to you all getting back on here regularly. I think the first of the year will be a time to try and get some new members on here and help keep us accountable.

a2s4yntjwyu7.jpg
  • tdonlin
    Options
    I was down 2.2 this week. Yay!!!

LW 338.2
    CW 336
    Total 2.2 loss
  • dbw1976
    dbw1976 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good job Tim! Keep it up. I'm interested in hearing your comments about the value of the appointment with the nutritionist.

I didn't get weighed this week, so I will try to get a post next week.
  • dbw1976
    Options
    Checking in:
    LWW = 201.9
    CWW = 201.7
    Loss = 0.2

My current goal is to hold steady over the holidays, and then see where I need to go.

Hope everyone else is having a good week.

Dave
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Hi Dave,

I have found the secret (for me) to weight loss. I need to quit my job :smile: Seems I do so much better when I am off and not so sedentary. Since I can't quite retire just yet, I better just figure out a way to move more during the day.

If I don't hear from or talk to you before next week, I hope you and your family have a Wonderful and a Very Merry Christmas.

Tim.

LW 336
    CW 334
    Total 2 pound loss
  • dbw1976
    Options
    Hi Tim,
    Merry Christmas!! I hope you and your family are having a wonderful day and holiday season.

It's Thursday, so I'm checking in, I weighed 204.0 this morning for a gain of 2.3 since last week. Argh! Not going to sweat it over the holidays though, just trying to keep up with the exercise. I did manage a bike ride of a little over an hour today.

Dave
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Hey Dave,

Well, the New Year is almost upon us. I have really got to get it into gear this year. I had my appointment with my doctor yesterday. I was REALLY concerned that I would be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Thankfully that was not the case. I am however right on the cusp of that happening so changes must start now.

I weighed myself before going in and was at 334.8. So, I had a .8 pound gain over Christmas. I'm not going to complain. After I finish typing here, I am going to open this group up and hopefully get some new members that will commit to this.

Have a Happy New Year,

Tim
  • tdonlin
    Options
    I posted the following over on general "Motivation and Support". Hoping to get some new guys on here to get this going a little better and increase accountability.

I have a group called "Men on a Mission" where I post weekly updates on our weight loss progress or at times lack of progress. Looking for some big guys that might have more than a few pounds to lose.

I've been doing this for a few years here and we are in need of some new blood as many of the others have dropped off or moved on or whatever. We took some time off for the holidays but I would like to start this up again next week. I have generally been getting the updates between Monday and Thursday and posting the chart on Friday.

If you are committed to weekly weigh in and would like to occasionally share advise or feedback or anything at all, please pop over and give it a shot.

I can only handle about a dozen people at a time so once I reach that goal, I will close the group.

What I need is your starting weight (sw), Goal weight (gw), Last week's weight (lw) and Current weight (cw).

I will post this on a spreadsheet with your Weekly Total (wt) and your Total Weight Lost (twl). The chart is done in a competitive manner with the most weight lost being #1 and it is color coded to show loss vs gain vs no change.

Come over and check out the group, tell us a little about yourself and lets do this. Here is the link to the page. I hope it works. There was another Men on a Mission page that closed a few years ago. My page has an icon of a pair of feet standing on a scale.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/650-men-on-a-mission
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in joining.

SW: 300 LB March 10th 2014
    LW: 226
    CW: 226 December 29th 2014
    GW: 185

I'm 36 year old Video Game/Star Wars/Board Game Geek Dad of a prettty awesome 5 year old.

I do Karate twice a week at the Dojo, I run and elliptical, I've also done DDP Yoga in the past.

I've lost 75 lbs with DDP Yoga and Running and I've fallen into this trap of chronic maintenance since.
  • tdonlin
    Options
    AgentOrangeJuice, Welcome aboard and glad to have you. It looks like you have been pretty successful. I look forward to any tips and advice you can share with the rest of us.

Tim
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Ok guys, one more week till this years first chart. I will try and get a few more guys to join then close the group. So if you know of anyone that might be interested in joining, please let them know about this.

Tim
  • jeffviets
    jeffviets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am interested in joining.

SW about 360 (didnt have a scale that would weigh me)
    GW 250
    Lw 331.8
    CW 331.8

Im 26 and ready to feel like it. Tired of not having any energy and tired of the pain in my feet and knees that i can only assume comes from years of carrying around all the weight. I lost 50 lbs with MFP last year but have since gained 20 or so of it back. Hopeing this group will help keep me motivated. Thanks.
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Gooood Morning and a Happy New Years to all.

I am happy to see that we have some new folks that are joining us and hopefully we can motivate and help each other reach those goals we all strive for.

For the new guys, my name is Tim. the way it has worked in the past is that sometime during the week you will send me or just post your updates here. On Friday, I will post a chart showing where we stand amongst each other and the previous week. I do this at work because it is just easier for me here than on my laptop at home. I will color code these. Sometimes we lose some weight, sometimes we may put on a little or just not show any change. Whatever it is, please don't be embarrassed or shy. Just be honest with yourself and us and post accurately.

Feel free to ask or give advise. I can always use some constructive criticism.

So, a big welcome to BFDeal, AgentOrangeJuice and jeffviets. Thank you for giving your stats.

To chgodvr and Bstoltey1, also a welcome and give me your stats when you get a chance if you would like to be included in this week's chart.

I have dropped the men that have not sent an update in the last 6 months. Here is a chart showing who I currently have with the latest information. It is not in order. I will do the normal chart on Friday.

If any of you have things you would like to see on here or a better way of me doing this, please don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you know of any men you think might be interested, let them know. I will wait to close this group for a bit.

Thanks again everyone. Lets make 2015 our year!

mf1fz7617g6i.jpg
  • tdonlin
    Options
    I hope you all are having a great week. Let's get those updates in. tim
  • dbw1976
    Options
    Happy New Year Men! Welcome AgentOrangeJuice, it's good to have some new faces.

CW = 204.3
    LWW = 204.0
    Gain = 0.3

Pretty much stayed even with the holidays. I've been good this week about my eating and logging calories. Hopefully that will pay off with a bit of loss by next week.

Dave
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    CW = 227.4
    LWW = 226

Gain: 1.4 lbs, my 226 weight was from 12/28/2014, and I had a helluva NYE feast, I started this week at 231.4 on Monday and have been making the right choices to get back to 227.4, let's see what I wake up at in the morning :)
  • jeffviets
    jeffviets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    LW 331.8
    CW 324.4

Not to bad for my first week on the diet but i imagine the losses will be smaller and smaller as i continue. It always seems like the first 5 to 10 lbs falls right off np but after that i pretty much have to work my butt off to see any further progress.
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Alright! Looks like we are getting some new updates in. jeffviets, congrats on a great week. Seems like the holidays caught up just a little with a few of us but it is a new year and we are ready for it.

For me-
    LW 335.8
    CW 334.9
    Loss of 0.8

Hopefully we get a few more updates then I'll do a chart a little later today. Peace out!
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Good afternoon guys. I had hoped a few more would have joined us this week. If any of you know someone in your MFP friends list that might be interested or benefit from this, please pass the invite along to them.

jeffiets is this weeks winner. Fantastic job!

AgentOrangeJuice and jeffviets, you guys have lost a substantial amount of weight already. Do you have any tips or insight that you think may help some of us out??

Here is this week's chart.

fxjl49jues7y.jpg
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    Tips for losing weight: Be honest with yourself about what you ate and why the scale isn't moving.

So many people argue "calorie in/calorie out" is the only way to weight loss, but it's so much more than that. I'm a firm believer in the quality of calories you put into your bodies helps you achieve this goal more so. The American diet has been marketed to us to eat 16 oz steaks, double thick pork chops, double cheese burgers with a 4 oz side of french fries. We should be eating 16 oz of vegetables and 4 oz of meat.

People ask me all the time, why I don't eat cow dairy. Through billions of years of evolution, cows milk has evolved for the sole purpose of adding 300 lbs to baby cows. It wasn't intended for wholesale consumption by humans. The difference in fat levels in Whole Milk and Skim Milk is 1% fat content, 1%.

I hate using the word "diet" because it has such a negative connotation, even though its dictionary definition is "the food you eat."