Body changes with weight lifting

Options
Charlottesometimes23
Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
I've been doing strong lifts regularly for at least 18 months, maybe 2 years. It's done some nice things to my body, but the one thing that I'm not so sure about is that I'm definitely bigger in my upper back/shoulders.

I know this because many of my clothes are now tight to the point of unwearable at the top, but fit fine or are loose at the bottom. My weight has stayed stable, except for a very recent 2kg loss. I suppose the best way to describe it is that things have 'redistributed'...my bottom half is smaller, my top half is a little bigger.

I'm seriously thinking I should do something different to SL or maybe reduce weight for the back exercises. I've been adding shoulder/biceps work each time and now I'm doubting that too, or at least the shoulder work. I don't want to get bigger. Is it even possible? I thought I would have to eat above maintenance to get bigger, and I don't.

What do other lady lifters think about their body changes? Do you change up your routine to suit? I don't want to have to buy a new wardrobe of clothes...it would be nice...but $$

Thanks. :)

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I was always small on top- so I like my larger shoulders. I had to donate a couple of tight shirts/sweaters to goodwill. The hardest part was that my bras got tight on my rib cage from bigger lats. It is hard to find larger band size with smaller cup size.
    - You will find a different opinion on a bodybuilder thread but
    - I wouldn't mind a smaller waist but not planning to cut.
    - I guess I prefer larger shoulders and strength.
    - Shirts/sweaters are easy to get, muscles are very hard to get. Why not get a few looser shirts and think about how awesome you look in a sleeveless shirt!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Given that your weight has been stable, it sounds like you've been recomping. A little bit of fat loss over time combined with a little bit of muscle gain. It's a real thing, just very slow.

As far as the rest of it goes, wish I could help. I'd happily bludgeon a few people to death for a bigger upper body.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been eating at maintenance for about a year while lifting heavy. I've gotten big arms, giant quads (26"+ inches) and I'm pretty trapped out. I have lost 10% BF ish according to the not-so-accurate body fat testing I've had done every three months. Regardless of whether the percentage is correct, it's been trending down and it's visible in my definition and face pictures. My weight is exactly the same. Jeans that were tight in the waist a year ago and loose in the thighs are now being pulled downward by my quads. I've totally lost my muffin top and my boobs and surprisingly, most of my *kitten*. My routine consists primarily of powerlifting and olympic lifting, not bodybuilding. Honestly I can't say whether I liked my body better now or before, aesthetically. I think I may have liked it better before. However, it sure can do cool stuff it couldn't do in the past.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Given that your weight has been stable, it sounds like you've been recomping. A little bit of fat loss over time combined with a little bit of muscle gain. It's a real thing, just very slow.

As far as the rest of it goes, wish I could help. I'd happily bludgeon a few people to death for a bigger upper body.

Lol...I wish I could share it around

I'm going to lose a further 3 kilos and see what happens then. I'm still probably 25ish% body fat and my girls are DDs so the weight loss should bring them down to a C/D cup which might mean I can fit into my dresses again.

I probably need to move on from stronglifts anyway....although I have no idea what to do next....it's probably created the most positive impact of any form of exercise I've ever done...

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Yep. I had the same thing happen, although for me it was a good thing because I was getting a bit too thin on top and still had fat to lose on bottom.

I think waiting is out is a good strategy if it's not bothering you too much. You'll likely continue to see changes in shape as you lose fat. I'm still seeing subtle shifts. If it's causing you body image issues then you might want to take a more aggressive approach, assuming there is one, although I'm not sure what that would be. I'm sure SS and Sara will chime in.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry - missed this before. I am have quite a few points I want to make (or, more like ramblings to be honest), so am going to post when its not quite so late and I have a better chance of making sense or at least making a point =).
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Thanks everyone who commented and Sara, I would love to hear your thoughts.
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I'm going to lose a further 3 kilos and see what happens then. I'm still probably 25ish% body fat and my girls are DDs so the weight loss should bring them down to a C/D cup which might mean I can fit into my dresses again.

I probably need to move on from stronglifts anyway....although I have no idea what to do next....it's probably created the most positive impact of any form of exercise I've ever done...

Stronglifts has another program after you advance on from the 5x5 program. Just check the website for it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In for thoughts as well!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Stronglifts has another program after you advance on from the 5x5 program. Just check the website for it.

Yep. Its MadCow and includes more periodization.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What appears to have possibly been happening is that you have been recomping – you have lost some fat (which may have come more from your lower half in a higher proportion than your upper half), and gained some muscle. You may have gained more in your upper half or, because of the fact that our upper bodies are smaller/carry less fat in general than our lower half, it is more noticeable relative to the starting point. As I am having problems trying to explain this in words I am going to use some random math. If you look at 1/10 -> 2/10 v 1/20 -> 2/20. The increase is 1 in both, but the proportion is very different – the increase with the lower denominator is more pronounced than with the higher denominator. OK, so that’s probably as clear as mud lol.

You can in some circumstances gain muscle at maintenance and even at a deficit. Many factors will come into play as to how much, if any, you can gain, which include the size of your deficit, your prior training routine, gender and genetics. Even an experienced lifter can gain some muscle, in certain situations. For example, if you have been training say biceps sub-optimally previously, and then change your routine in a way that provides additional stimulus to them, you may be able to make some gains in that muscle. Generally, experienced lifters (particularly ones that have been on a good program for a while) do not have any of that ‘low hanging fruit’, but it is definitely possibly.
    If you are getting uncomfortable with the amount of muscle you have in a particular area, you can always tweak your program in a way so as to provide 'sub-optimal' stimulus. For example, do not progressive load on rows, or keep the rep range outside the more effective hypertrophy range.

Regarding what I have seen personally with body recomp. I have always had issues with getting clothes to fit me as I ‘respond well to stimulus’ – i.e. gained muscle relatively easily (for a female and in context) at first and/or maintained muscle – at least on my upper half (too hard to tell on my lower half as I carry too much fat there to be able to tell). I also have ‘broad shoulders’ and tend to carry a bit of extra body fat when I was overweight in my upper back/arms. So both when I was overweight and it was fat, or lean and it was more muscle, I have always had issues with tops fitting me without having the waist (and bust unfortunately) be too big. I have issues with pants – but that’s because of the donk/waist ratio. I usually wear stretchy tops like t-shirts (luckily my work is uber casual) as my biceps are too large for a lot of non-stretchy ones.
    Outside of the annoying wardrobe issues, there is also the preference re aesthetics. Do you like the amount of muscle you have? Do you want to stay at the status quo or are you uncomfortable with the amount you do have? Also, you mention have some body fat you still want to lose (which will play into the needing to buy a new wardrobe consideration).

While ‘women do not get bulky’ from lifting, we can get too muscular for our own personal preference. One way to ‘soften’ it is to gain a little body fat. Issue is, sometimes where we gain the body fat first is not where we want it and then we just end up with having too much fat in one area than we like and still have the issue of having too much definition in another. Or, we just put fat on over the muscle and end up 'too big', whether its defined or not. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to show that much definition. When I am lean, I know I am too muscular for many peoples tastes (even though I am not that muscular), and that is absolutely fine. Heck, even when I am not lean my biceps are probably bigger than many like. Personally, I am fine with my muscularity – but I have gone through times where I would have preferred some of my muscles to be a little less developed (from aesthetics). Other muscles I love seeing development (delts and my sartorius). For example, my spinal erectors developed pretty significantly (I think it was due to *kitten* conventional deadlift form which had me rounding my back when I started lifting – which was when I was ‘primed’ to build muscle…newbie plus overweight gains) and I was a bit weirded out by them a bit at first (anyone say back cleavage?). Since then, I have come to like them – partly because I have just got used to them, partly because I am more used to seeing body builders physiques now, and possibly partly because it’s linked with my strength/lifting performance.

All ^^that is probably more than you wanted to know about my personal thoughts about it but I tend to ramble =).

If it’s really bothering you re aesthetics, I would possibly tweak my routine, but unless it is, I would wait until you have lost the extra couple of pounds and see. Your tops may well fit better then, and you will be able to see the muscularity better to see if its something that you are happy (or not) with re aesthetics.

The selection of a new lifting routine will sort of be dependence on your feelings re the changes you are looking to make when you lose those extra few pounds, so personally, I would wait until them and assess at that time.

As I say, I tend to ramble on these types of topics, but hopefully you can glean something out of my musings lol.

If you have specific questions or I have not actually addressed your question/concerns, feel free to follow up and tell me to stick to the point :p
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^^holy crap, and essay.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    ^^holy crap, and essay.
    Awesome infö!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sara for your post. I really enjoyed reading it.

I understand what you said about gaining more in my upper body and I think that's what's happened. Because I'm not overweight (although I like to weigh a little less) I track for a bit to keep a tiny deficit and then I lose interest and don't bother for a bit, so I could be eating in cycles of just under and just over which may make a difference..?? I've been doing 5:2 for a few weeks now and it suits me, so I should do better with losing the little bit of weight I want.

About 6 months ago I added some arms and shoulder work and I think that's made quite an impact too. Just the other day I was complaining to my mother that I can't wear some of my dresses because they're tight at the top and she said, "yes I've noticed you getting bigger in your shoulders but I didn't like to say because I thought that's what you wanted" lol I <3 my mum

So I'm going to wait until I drop the 3 more kilos as you suggested Sara, and see what I think then. I have always wanted muscle definition in my arms and now I'm finally seeing it, so that's good. I'm hoping the 3 kilos will make a little difference there too. I actually quite like the way I look with stronger shoulders, it's just the back/armhole muffin that I get in some of my favourite dresses that has been freaking me out a bit.

I like the look of Madcow.

Ps. Forgot to mention, I checked my BWH measurements and I'm now 38, 28, 38 at 5'7" (was 37, 30, 39) so I'm actually more in proportion now...