Carbs

I've been seeing everyone else carb goals and starting to think mine are WAY over board. My doctor told me 1000-1200 calories and 90-100 carbs daily. I've been averaging around 70 carbs but starting to think this might be why my weight loss is slowing down already. Any ideas? Should I maybe talk to my nutritionist about why mine seems to be so much higher than everyone here and maybe look into reducing them?

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Hi! I know my surgeon wants me to keep my carb count below 30 grams daily.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    1200 calories is a lot during weight loss. A lot of people keep it closer to 800.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Keeping my carbs under 30 grams daily is the only way I can keep my hunger under control. (and I am 3 and a half years post surgery). When I was actively losing, my calories averaged 7-800 per day. Now that I'm maintaining, I rarely go over 1100 a day.
  • I believe everyone seems to have a "sweet spot" within this process. Some people do better at 800 calories and some at 1000 calories. (I am 8 months out by the way) If I workout really hard we are talking about a 600-800 calorie burn sometimes I have to go up to 1200 calories to see the scale move. Same principle with carbs but I find keeping them on the low end really helps with my personal weight loss but that being said I try to stick with complex carbs and they are an absolute necessity for brain function. If I'm really stuck I journal for a week...very detailed. Then adjust and try some things the following week. I also do eat about 6 times throughout the day. I have lost 90 pounds and have 10 more to go from time of surgery. Hope this helps
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    I believe everyone seems to have a "sweet spot" within this process. Some people do better at 800 calories and some at 1000 calories. (I am 8 months out by the way) If I workout really hard we are talking about a 600-800 calorie burn sometimes I have to go up to 1200 calories to see the scale move. Same principle with carbs but I find keeping them on the low end really helps with my personal weight loss but that being said I try to stick with complex carbs and they are an absolute necessity for brain function. If I'm really stuck I journal for a week...very detailed. Then adjust and try some things the following week. I also do eat about 6 times throughout the day. I have lost 90 pounds and have 10 more to go from time of surgery. Hope this helps

YES YES YES to everything you said!
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    thanks everyone, I think I'm going to talk to my nutritionist about my diet and in the mean time adjust some things. Most days I have to drink a glass of juice to reach 1000 calories, it's about the only way I can do it, so if I don't need to then I can easily cut that out and be closer to 800 calories a day
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    I was told not to worry about the calories, but focus on the protein. Also I was told not to drink juice, so I wouldnt drink it just to hit a certain calorie intake.