Healthy Living

Options
greasysgal
greasysgal Posts: 15 Member
Via my own research, a lifetime of learning about the good & bad of various foods, finding recipes that work for me (I'm a Gastric Bypass patient) and finding a food schedule (very important for me) that works I am finally consistently losing weight AND still managing to feel full and satisfied. It feels as though my lifetime of knowledge is falling in place in my brain finally and I am applying it with relative ease. I think the biggest key for me was implementing a food schedule. I used to either wait 'til I was "HUNGRY" or eat out of a craving or compulsion. I stopped drinking any alcohol AND switched from coffee to Oolong Tea (coffee was causing hypoglycemic episodes which caused me to eat too soon). I am now eating about every 2-3 hours and the benefit of that is that I am not having cravings or hypoglycemia or hunger to the point of overeating and I am eating a lot less calories daily......In fact I've had to add more food some days to make sure I get enough ! I thank NM for showing me in black & white my daily nutrients.....I always thought that was the BEST part of logging......checking small but important nutrients like selenium, Vit K, etc. I am soooo excited because it feels as though everything has fallen into place and I am looking forward to getting this weight off my poor joints. I also am making small goals in 25lb increments which is more do-able than that BIG number.

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing awesome! After a point, something just clicks in our head and we figure it out. I'm so glad you joined us over here greasygal!
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your hear greasygal and I wanted to say I'm glad you are finding balance in your food intake. I had an aunt who passed from complications from Gastric Bypass and I heard it was something to do with not getting enough nutrients. Her body couldn't take them in anymore or something like it. Take care greasygal.
  • greasysgal
    greasysgal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After Gastric Bypass your body is in a constant state of malnutrition since the majority of your nutrients are absorbed by your small intestines & they have been "bypassed" so everything is going straight to the large intestines. Over time your body adapts in that it CAN absorb carbs & fat but protein & other vitamins & nutrients not so much. We have to eat more protein than most everybody and take massive doses of vitamins. Even when I am compliant with my vitamins I almost always test very low in Calcium, Vitamin D, Iron, Folic Acid, B-12& a few others.If Iron or Vit.D gets too low it can cause heart problems.I'd bet, ANEWSTART22, that's what happened with your Aunt. I had the surgery in 2006----lost 180lbs & then got my appetite back & started eating carbs. I believe because of the malnutrition my body was asking for foods that had some of those nutrients readily available but that's what causes the weight to come back on. I gained back 130 of those lbs ! For the last 6 years I have been doing research, trying food plans, trying new recipes and many different vitamin supplements to see what works best for my body. Of course, the hardest obstacle to overcome is our minds.....been working on that too. I went thru a very intense therapy for PTSD this past year that helped me a lot and the pieces started falling into place. I am down 20 lbs from my highest since the weight gain and am excited in a different way.....peaceful...... To be able to eat enough veggies & fruit to give me nutrients but not cause weight gain & eat enough protein but keep your fat low is difficult to say the least.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    So great that what you need to do is clicking. Keep doing what your doing. You've had a lot to figure out.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    greasysgal wrote: »
    After Gastric Bypass your body is in a constant state of malnutrition since the majority of your nutrients are absorbed by your small intestines & they have been "bypassed" so everything is going straight to the large intestines. Over time your body adapts in that it CAN absorb carbs & fat but protein & other vitamins & nutrients not so much. We have to eat more protein than most everybody and take massive doses of vitamins. Even when I am compliant with my vitamins I almost always test very low in Calcium, Vitamin D, Iron, Folic Acid, B-12& a few others.If Iron or Vit.D gets too low it can cause heart problems.I'd bet, ANEWSTART22, that's what happened with your Aunt. I had the surgery in 2006----lost 180lbs & then got my appetite back & started eating carbs. I believe because of the malnutrition my body was asking for foods that had some of those nutrients readily available but that's what causes the weight to come back on. I gained back 130 of those lbs ! For the last 6 years I have been doing research, trying food plans, trying new recipes and many different vitamin supplements to see what works best for my body. Of course, the hardest obstacle to overcome is our minds.....been working on that too. I went thru a very intense therapy for PTSD this past year that helped me a lot and the pieces started falling into place. I am down 20 lbs from my highest since the weight gain and am excited in a different way.....peaceful...... To be able to eat enough veggies & fruit to give me nutrients but not cause weight gain & eat enough protein but keep your fat low is difficult to say the least.

You have been pushing forward and I am so happy you are finding your way with all that. Thanks for helping me understand what is a good chance happened to my aunt.