Weekly Post - 04/01/15 - 10/01/15

124»

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    faz2722 wrote: »
    Has anyone else swapped from MFP 1200 cals to 5.2? If so, have you found 5.2 more effective than MFP 1200 cals?

I think 5:2 is so effective because it is more sustainable than any type of daily calorie restriction. For me it is a way of eating for life and not just short term. I started in May 2013. As far as my mind is programmed....you tell me I can't have it....I WANT IT!

On 5:2 nothing is forbidden even on fast days. There is just one rule....two fast days a week at around 500cals. If there is no room for my chocolate on a fast day, I can have it the next day. It's so much easier to cope with that, than daily restriction.

The losses might be slow at times, but I've also been able to maintain with two fasts and 5 days of indulging a bit. For me that is proof, that I can use the fast as a tool to maintain my weight for the rest of my life. This was very important for me to experience as I was overweight / obese all of my life and yoyo-ed a couple of times too. Now I have a great tool in my toolbox. It also taught me more portion control and that I won't die, if I'm hungry and don't eat right away....

• angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Thank you for all this inspiration! I've been at a stall for the last few months, and can't quite find my sweet spot anymore. Restrict? not restrict... neither is working well. So, I'm just going to go with it and see how it goes. Thinking my deficit has been far too low on non-fast days. If I add it all up, and I'm truly eating until satisfied, I'm barely hitting 1200. Just all confusing. Time to start moving more and also eating a bit more to get the engine running!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    faz2722 wrote: »
    Has anyone else swapped from MFP 1200 cals to 5.2? If so, have you found 5.2 more effective than MFP 1200 cals?

I have done reduced calorie plans and it seems after awhile my body settles into the lower calorie level, stalls and I stop losing weight. Gets discouraging and I want to quit. No fun to be at lower calorie level and remain at the same weight for weeks on end.

It seems to me, and maybe @orlcam has more knowledge on this, that 5:2 keeps changing up the metabolism so that my weight loss doesn't stall and I can have more variety on my NFDs so it keeps things interesting.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Just a quick Sunday evening check-in from me. Had 2 pretty good fast days, it's feels kinda nice to be back in the routine! Great exercising week, plenty of running including a new experience in a handicap chase. Weight down about half a pound - I'll take that. An old internet friend is thinking of doing 5:2 so I've posted her my old magazine pullouts and recipe ideas. Lovely to have the continuing support from this MFP group.