Shakiness in the morning

Options
traveljjo
traveljjo Posts: 35 Member
Hi all,

I was curious if any of you struggle with the shakes in the morning. I do drink about 16 oz of coffee. Today I tried the bulletproof coffee receive to front load the fat, and I made kept pancakes with around 10 cherries and grapes. I guess it's possible that its just the caffeine but I have always struggled with low blood sugar.

Anyone have this issue?

Because I am just starting, all I have is the ketostrips. I cannot measure blood or breath ketones yet. For the last couple days, the color went from almost clear, to right in the middle of dark pink. Has anyone been able to follow the diet without constantly testing?

Best regards! JJO

Replies

• tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, I have had symptoms that included
    chronic shakiness...such that writing my
    name on a check was nearly unreadable.

Online research suggested magnesium...
    and that matched other symptoms of Mg
    deficiency: cardiac arrhythmia, excess
    earwax, BPH, BG control, and others.

Being water soluble Magnesium is
    notoriously discarded in grilling
    juices, frying, baking, boiling, and
    braising...unless purposefully kept
    and used in sauces, broths or
    dipping gravies.

I experimented with actually getting the
    IOM daily recommended intake of
    around 400mg elemental Mg over 24
    hrs thru supplementation and diet.

Good news is that regimen was
    very successful...no more shaky
    signature, no BPH, no arrhythmia,
    and I titrate my supplemental dosage
    nowadays to the physical presence
    of palpable earwax.

That's just my experience...
    not advice.

Plug this into your fav search engine:
    tremble magnesium
    Best2U!
    /tq
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping up with your electrolytes? I have only been doing this for 3 days but I've googled a whole ton of questions to do this safely. Day 2 I was kind of lightheaded and a little shaky, I took a magnesium pill and that seemed to clear it up.
  • juhesihcaaa
    juhesihcaaa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat enough fat the night before, I will wake up shaky the next morning.
  • traveljjo
    Options
    I think it was mag/electrolytes that was causing the problem. Although today, I was so bad I needed to lay down and nap. Somehow I need to get stable in the morning. I might try a multivitamin and see if that helps. It going to be hard figuring out how to bring what I need to work each day.

TQ- when I was a little kid, I had major issues with leg cramps which I know was a chronic mag deficiency.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You may need to buy magnesium caplets or powder separate. My multivitamin doesn't have magnesium, but maybe there is one out there. I know the NatureMade Hair Skin and Nail has 50mg of magnesium, but I still take a 250mg of mag every day.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Oxide has pretty poor absorption. I personally take Magnesium Citrate, which I can't seem to find in my local pharmacies so I get from Amazon. Magnesium Citrate will act as a laxative/stool softener if you take too much, so be aware of that. I have always been able to take the recommended daily amount and have been just fine (fixed the leg cramp issues i had at the start)
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Sodium, potassium, and magnesium. If you don't get appropriate amounts of all three of these, you will feel like *kitten* and have bad experiences like you're having now (e.g. heart palpitations, cramping, etc.).

Keto is no joke. You need to do it safely. Read the FAQ on the www.reddit.com/r/keto board.
  • MessiGardener
    MessiGardener Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have just started using Morton's Lite Salt. It has salt, potassium chloride, calcium silicate, magnesium carbonate, dextrose, and potassium oxide. I think this is going to help with my necessary levels of potassium and magnesium.
  • ketorach
    Options
    I have just started using Morton's Lite Salt. It has salt, potassium chloride, calcium silicate, magnesium carbonate, dextrose, and potassium oxide. I think this is going to help with my necessary levels of potassium and magnesium.
    Yes, I use lite salt, too. But you probably still need a cholated magnesium supplement. I use magnesium citrate. Magnesium oxide will give you diarrhea!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    ELECTROLYTES.

But that seems to have been covered. Carry on :)
  • traveljjo
    Options
    Thanks everyone... yes pretty sure this was the issue, and it helped!
  • ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Stick with it....if you've just begun a Keto diet, you're probably experiencing keto flu....it's totally normal and I felt like crap for the first two weeks. Hang in there because once it passed, my body was thanking me and I've never felt better in my life!! Everyone's recommendations above will also help.
  • ketorach
    Options
    ABrownGrl wrote: »
    Stick with it....if you've just begun a Keto diet, you're probably experiencing keto flu....it's totally normal and I felt like crap for the first two weeks. Hang in there because once it passed, my body was thanking me and I've never felt better in my life!! Everyone's recommendations above will also help.
    Keto flu is not normal and not just in the first two weeks. It's an imbalance of electrolytes and can strike at any time if you're not diligent about supplementation.

I didn't get "keto flu" when I started keto, but got lazy about supplementation and was struck down with cramps and racing heart after three months.

Electrolytes for the win!

• ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    ABrownGrl wrote: »
    Keto flu is not normal and not just in the first two weeks. It's an imbalance of electrolytes and can strike at any time if you're not diligent about supplementation.

I didn't get "keto flu" when I started keto, but got lazy about supplementation and was struck down with cramps and racing heart after three months.

Electrolytes for the win!

Yes, I was not good about adding electrolytes! If I had to start again, I would be much better about that. My naturopath (who put me on this diet) warned me I'd get the keto flu symptoms if I didn't make sure my electrolytes, potassium, and sodium were sufficient. Since I've been keto adapted (I test weekly with a blood monitor) I haven't had any issues. Although, I still do need to be better about meeting those requirements. The potassium has been especially hard to get in.
  • traveljjo
    Options
    I am curious, for those of you following this thread, what methods do you all use when you notice the electrolytes are down? Do you try and hit all three (Mag/Potass/Salt)? How do you do that?
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1st: Unless all your foods are packaged, or simple like raw items that MFP, that has all the data, it may be hard to track it, even if you have MFP. Especially if your like me and you don't weigh how much salt/potassium/lite salt ... you put on your food. I'm thinking about weighing out a bunch and then scooping it out and making it a recipe in MFP, then use it by the correct proportions each day. (A LOT OF WORK!)

2nd: My doctor gave me a prescription to come in and have my electrolytes checked (no cost). I still have the script in my front pocket (LOL!). Its too inconvenient for me to do that. I don't know how accurate that would be because I would think your electrolytes change on an hourly basis? SO you would need to do #1 (strictly) above for a week and then get your electrolytes checked. Then based on that info, change your recipes, repeat after a week.

3rd: Look at websites that tell what happens when you eat too much or too little electrolytes and their associated symptoms and let your body tell you. I know if I take to much Magnesium, I get diarrhea. If I don't get enough, my legs cramp. Its like Goldilocks. I am hoping someone on this list has a link to a good website with this info. And it has to be geared towards Keto Diets because Keto diets have a different dynamic with electrolytes than Carb diets.

I doubt this post helps you very much, oh well, maybe we can learn together as other people help us.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • tq33702
    Options
    I use:
    IOM Dietary Reference Intakes
    as a basic knowledge base
    to make sure I get at least the
    minimum or RDA:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_Reference_Intake

I use:
    nutritiondata.self.com/
    to see what amounts of
    electrolyte minerals are in
    foods I eat or should eat.

I use LC websites that are nutrition
    savvy...
    Plug these into your fav Search Engine:
    dietdoctor sodium salt

mercola articles potassium

mercola articles magnesium

If you want strictly LC sites,
    you can search:
    Low Carb with each mineral.

Or use the author of your choice
    in with the terms, e.g.
    "Peter Attia" electrolytes

When you get to any of these
    sites, try a search for electrolyes
    or magnesium or potassium or
    calcium or salt or low carb.

I'd like to post the direct link
    to such sites, but a recent post
    was flagged as spam when I
    did so...

This is not the easiest way to search
    but I guess everybody understands
    that this group and alternative ethical
    science is stepping on some very big
    toes of corporate and commercial interests
    in advocating a WOL outside-the-box
    that is 'approved', yes?

My personal mineral and vitamin
    supplements include:
    Magnesium Citrate tablets, 225mg x 2/day
    Potassium Chloride powder, 325mg, 1/4t/day
    Sea Salt titrated to taste
    Vitamin D3, 5000iu once a week or so.
    All personal choice, not advice. :smile:
  • tq33702
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Error...double post :smile:
  • tq33702
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use:
    IOM Dietary Reference Intakes
    as a basic knowledge base
    to make sure I get at least the
    minimum or RDA:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_Reference_Intake

I use:
    nutritiondata.self.com/
    to see what amounts of
    electrolyte minerals are in
    foods I eat or should eat.

I use LC websites that are nutrition
    savvy...
    Plug these into your fav Search Engine:
    dietdoctor sodium salt

mercola articles potassium

mercola articles magnesium

If you want strictly LC sites,
    you can search:
    Low Carb with each mineral.

Or use the author of your choice
    in with the terms, e.g.
    "Peter Attia" electrolytes

When you get to any of these
    sites, try a search for electrolyes
    or magnesium or potassium or
    calcium or salt or low carb.

I'd like to post the direct link
    to such sites, but a recent post
    was flagged as spam when I
    did so...

This is not the easiest way to search
    but I guess everybody understands
    that this group and alternative ethical
    science is stepping on some very big
    toes of corporate and commercial interests
    in advocating a WOL outside-the-box
    that is 'approved', yes?
    *WOL-'way of living'.

My personal mineral and vitamin
    supplements include:
    Magnesium Citrate tablets, 225mg x 2/day or PRN.
    Potassium Chloride powder, 325mg, 1/4t/day or PRN.
    Sea Salt titrated to taste or PRN.
    Vitamin D3, 5000iu once a week or so, PRN.
    *prn='as needed'
    All personal choice, not advice. :smile:
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    Magnesium Oxide has pretty poor absorption. I personally take Magnesium Citrate, which I can't seem to find in my local pharmacies so I get from Amazon. Magnesium Citrate will act as a laxative/stool softener if you take too much, so be aware of that. I have always been able to take the recommended daily amount and have been just fine (fixed the leg cramp issues i had at the start)

Mag citrate is pretty easy to find. If you have a local walmart they sell it there. They have their own brand (equate) and it looks like soda in a little clear glass bottle (if you're looking for the laxative.)

They also sell supplements both tab, and liquid:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Liquid-Calcium-Magnesium-Citrate-with-Vitamin-D3-Natural-Orange-Vanilla-Flavor-Solgar-16-oz-Liquid/30100612

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Rapid-Release-Magnesium-Citrate-Dietary-Supplement-Capsules-100mg-100-count/38570837

Albeit, not sure I'd take the liquid because it's flavored (might have sugar) and has added D3 - I personally like to take that sort of thing separately.