Sugar cravings... My nemesis!

Options
karmie625
karmie625 Posts: 2 Member
I would like a plan for getting off sugar... Does anyone have some tips that worked out for you? The sweet tooth is my biggest problem and I haven't been able to shake it!

Replies

• jkeenum26
    Options
    Cinnamon had helped me with sugar cravings.
  • Transformed2Health
    Options
    try some organic green tea. works well for me.
  • Transformed2Health
    Options
    Also, The Daniel's Plan was the tool I used to quit sugar. You can order it from Barnes and Noble and from The Daniel's Plan website. I also ordered the study guide. I am a spiritual person so this help bring focus to my goal to quit sugar. Good luck!!
  • sphere720
    Options
    Have heard of Daniels plan. Have try the cinnamon trick too. Good stuff. Thanks!
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There's no way to get off of sugar without pain...just like quitting smoking or any other addiction, but my favorite panacea was organic plain Greek yogurt, to which I added raw honey and a touch of peanut butter. What worked best for me was to plan my entire day's menu in advance and then just refer to it when I got hungry...it spared me from "resisting" bad choices, since the choices were made that morning. After we week or so, you'll find you don't even crave it (or salt) anymore. It's a terrible cycle...sugar, salt, fat, sugar, salt, fat...
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This article was posted on MyFitnessPal yesterday and has some great tips: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/15-simple-hacks-for-eating-less-sugar/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What’s worked for me is to find clean substitutions! So if I eat oatmeal, now I mash up half a banana to go in it instead of brown sugar, or I make baked goods that have no sugar in them and instead substitute fruit for the sweetness. Dried fruit is another great substitution for a sugary snack. Obviously these foods still contain sugar, but to me, they’re not addictive like white sugar - or even brown or Demerara sugar, honey, or agave - are for me.

Flat-out removing undesirable foods from your home is another solution. Obviously if you live with people who eat the foods you want to cut you have to come up with solutions. Packing it away in an usual place can keep you mindful of what you’re going to put in your body. I keep chocolate bars in a tub on an awkward shelf, so if I want chocolate, I have to go there to get them - grabbing a few dried apricots out of the bag in the cupboard seems so easy by comparison!
  • alcarrick
    alcarrick Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Removing high amounts of sugar came for my through limiting the other chemicals which aid in same cravings - fats (I refer to added oils, bc nuts and veggie sources are ok) and sodium. You would be amazed at how sodium and fat effect cravings for sugars (again not grains but actual sugars). I used the "rice diet revolution" about 5 yrs ago and never looked back . I'm not obsessed and have normal slips or behaviors but this way of eating is simply the best for my blood sugar , weight loss, and improved immune system functioning !!
  • Jillgorby
    Jillgorby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What has seemed to work well for me is clean eating substitutions, and tea! green tea, chai tea, tazo has a very yummy vanilla caramel chai tea, i LOVE it! I also love apples sprinkled with cinnamon, and then microwaved for a little bit, sooo good!
  • Clinsell
    Clinsell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Dry January and my sugar cravings are now very manageable.
  • mom2atw
    mom2atw Posts: 15
    Options
    I add a cinnamon stick to all my bottles of water. That helps me a lot.
  • Amisha136
    Amisha136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sliced apple with about two servings of natural peanut butter (the kind with no added oils, salts, or sugars)... mmmmm... and kills my cravings for anything unhealthy if I start my day with that for breakfast
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If I want something sweet and night and don't want to reach for a normal dessert, I eat half a banana, and 1 tbsp of peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread. Sweet and filling.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sugar cravings are hard, because sugar is addictive. However, 2 tips: get plenty of protein and healthy fats; get plenty of chromium. Protein and fats give your body the energy it craves. Chromium helps regulate blood sugar levels; deficiency in it will make carb cravings worse. Hope this helps.
  • CathieCats61
    CathieCats61 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do you use supplements, there is an amino acid that help block and regulate cravings for sugar it's L- Glutamate or L-glutamime I learned it from Susan Powders first book, it actually helped stomp out the sugar from alcohol cravings, I too am having a hard time with sugar, I stopped all the process, but I think I'm eating too much fruit. I have the book some where but you can google it, I just can't remember witch one.
  • realharlot
    Options
    Do you use supplements, there is an amino acid that help block and regulate cravings for sugar it's L- Glutamate or L-glutamime I learned it from Susan Powders first book, it actually helped stomp out the sugar from alcohol cravings, I too am having a hard time with sugar, I stopped all the process, but I think I'm eating too much fruit. I have the book some where but you can google it, I just can't remember witch one.

Oh wow. That's really interesting! I'm recommended to take l-glutamate anyways to repair my intestinal damage from celiac disease.

I've always had very wicked sugar cravings -- often if I don't eat a dessert in a restaurant or if I get it in my head I think about it for hours. I'm going to give this a try! Thanks!
  • happyhomemaker5
    Options
    Eat good fat .The more your fat the less you crave sugar. Good fat is avacado, bacon ,pistachio etc. I find if my fat is in between 40 and 50 and my protein is around 30 and carbs in 20's. I don't crave.
  • ttrn50
    ttrn50 Posts: 5
    Options
    Cold turkey......not literal cold turkey...but just stop.....I eat lots of nuts and drink water....you feel a craving coming on..drink an entire bottle of water...or if you feel hungry shortly after a small meal.....one thing that also works to decrease how much you eat is to drink a bottle of water right before each meal.........it works...water water water.....
  • PatinMich
    PatinMich Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    All of this is very interesting.