Can anyone recommend low cal healthy snacks?

Options
Remurr
Remurr Posts: 6 Member
I'm a serious snacker but being new to the weight loss journey I don't know many healthy snack foods.

Store bought, or quick, fast, few ingredients to prepare, but definately tasty would be appreciated. I'm trying to break my junk food addiction but have to admit I love snacks that are crunchy, salty, or sweet, anything chocolate and everything in between.

If I can find tasty, healthy snacks it'll help me to stay on the wagon. The carrot sticks and celery are not working out .

Thanks!

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I like a serving of turkey pepperoni and a Babybel light for my mid-morning snack; 120 calories and 15 gms of protein.
  • mrproducertypeperson
    mrproducertypeperson Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would Suggest Signing up to Graze.com, They send you 100 cal snacks regularly that are not just waisted calories, so will help you with energy and weight loss.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn is the best. Air poppers are pretty cheap - $15-20 - and you can control the flavor and calorie content. Some of my favorite combos are olive oil, salt and Herbs de Provence; olive oil, salt and pepper; and butter, cinnamon and sugar. Yes butter and oil! If you don't use a ton it is not a huge calorie bomb (as opposed to movie theaters, bagged popcorn, etc.).

You can also put popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag and put it in the microwave, but the air popper makes larger quantities faster and with less mess.
  • srellsworth
    srellsworth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Quest Brownie bars for my snack at work. I cut them in half and eat half for my morning/afternoon snack. They satisfy my sweet tooth and are loaded with protein so it keeps me satisfied.
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    Airpopped popcorn is my FAVORITE!! Also Rolled Gold pretzels. I eat about 1/4 of their serving size and it's enough of a treat. Gummy Bears and Sweedish Berries too. I also eat M&M's... half their suggested serving size. I prepackage all of this in snack baggies in a basket in the kitchen so it makes it super easy to take for work and then you don't feel like you are "dieting" but following serving sizes. Where we live, we have Leclerc GoPure granola bars and they have yummy flavors like dark chocolate and raspberries (130 cals and VERY filling!) and Boulangerie Grissol Morning Thins at 70 calories (yummy and very filling!). Any sort of flavored thin crisp breads. Prepackaged "healthy" snacks at 100 calories are not my regular go-to snack..... since if you just follow serving sizes and adjust them accordingly, you can make just about anything a "100 calorie" option. Good luck!
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I forgot to add that I LOVE Lays lightly salted chips (again, serving size!) and Philadelphia whipped onion dip (again.... serving size!) Don't deny yourself!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    A hard boiled egg makes a good morning snack for me. The protein helps get me through to lunch. I especially need it when I have had an early breakfast.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I eat any type of sliced veggie with guacamole, dip, homemade dips, salad dressings..>I try different things each time. I discovered I like radishes!
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I understand the struggle! My favorite diet "bad for you" snack is Green Giant Baked Veggie Puffs!! Great replacement for cheese puffs which are one of my favs! I also like Snack Factory pretzels and of course, popcorn - my fav is Skinny Pop.

My suggestion is too, if you're going to snack, put single servings in baggies beforehand so you don't get carried away, cuz you know it's easy to do!!

Start including more fruits, vegetables & nuts in your snacking. You'll eventually start going for those on a more regular basis once you find things you like. And don't underestimate the power of low fat, low cal. dressings or sauces - they help those veggies go down. (Yes, I'm a realist, lol.)
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My favorite is chocolate almonds that come in 100 calorie bags, and 100 calorie bags of kettle style popcorn.

If celery and carrot sticks don't work just take your favorite snack and eat a very small portion, it will be more satisfying.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something sweet but still healthy try Dole Dippers. They come in single serve packs and don't have to be kept frozen. They come in chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate covered bananas, and chocolate covered bananas with almonds. Another favorite of mine is string cheese. I like to pair a string cheese with a few turkey pepperoni slices and a little container of pizza/spaghetti sauce. Whenever we have spaghetti for dinner I take some of the sauce and freeze in little dip size containers. I can pull one of those and throw into another container with a string cheese and pepperoni. It's a pizza without the crust and is very filling.
  • kelFowl
    kelFowl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Frozen red grapes are my favorite. It takes time investment to wash and bag them, but so worth it. Try them dipped in fat free cool whip frozen as well.
  • als13071
    als13071 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with frozen grapes... they are wonderful. I mostly eat fruits and veggies for snacks. Celery with peanutbutter is just wonderful! Every once in a while i will have a carob (similar to chocolate) covered rice cake. Or a small piece of dark chocolate by itself.