Q&A Thread 1/7/2015

Options
13»

Replies

• Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you decide to 'eat back' calories burnt off from exercise, does the composition of those extra calories matter? Should you stick to the same macro ratios as the rest of your calories or could you just get them all from carbs, for example?
  • IamLee1987
    IamLee1987 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    See a Dr. Willing to be he/she will prescribe physical therapy and then MRI and then surgery. Sorry. My shoulder popped and clicked, eventually was weak and then a dull pain wouldn't quit. I had surgery 6 weeks ago.
    [/quote]

Thanks Benjamin.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune, attacks thyroid) last Spring and was unable to lose weight on 1300-1600 calories per day. I am currently going gluten free (recommended for Hashi's) very low carb at 1400 and have seen a modest loss over the past month. I'm on medication but hesitant to increase it because of the bowel problems it can cause.

I finally have access to a gym to begin with weights again (had a brief love affair with them a more than a year ago and then we moved) I want to do a recomp, with approx. 30lb to lose, and was wondering if I should eat at tdee or if I should eat at 1400 and add calories on lifting days?

5'3", 166.5 lb, My tdee is calculated at an average of 2000 using different calculators. I read in a thyroid forum that I should try eating at tdee -200 -20% for weight loss but this did not take an actual recomp into consideration. Cannot find anything about hypothyroid patients and weightlifting, recomp, etc. I'm beginning to think we don't exist. Haha sigh.

So first off regarding Hashimotos I'm not qualified to give any advice on that condition as that's out of my scope of practice and additionally beyond my knowledge base as far as what I'm comfortable commenting on.

Having said that, my reply in general might not be applicable if there's anything about that condition that I'm not aware of that could effect variables that would normally be present in someone without that condition.

In people without that condition, I would recommend using personal preference and performance as primary variables in determining whether to cycle your intake such that you eat more on training days and less on rest days, or to keep your intake consistent from day to day.

If you had zero difference in preference, recovery, and performance (which is not the case with most people), AND you were aiming to eat at maintenance to recomp, I would probably lean slightly in favor of a cyclical intake largely for theoretical reasons that may not make a significant difference anyway.

Thank you for the reply. Feel like a bit of an *kitten* to bump it. I was hoping you might have run across someone with a similar story, but it seems a bit of a rarity. Basically it's easy to gain fat and ridiculously difficult to lose it, and we maintain at significantly lower calories.
    I've read up on your posts regarding recomps, and I'll have the noob advantage in simultaneously losing fat and gaining muscle, and wondering whether a steady calorie intake or cycling is generally preferable? I would have a lower amount to work with, regardless.
    (ETA... reading comprehension. Saw you would favor cycling. Thanks again!)

No worries regarding bumping the thread.

But to clarify, I wouldn't favor cycling arbitrarily. There's a reason why I worded it the way I did. I would very slightly favor it only under conditions where there are no differences in preference/performance/adherence between cyclical and steady intake (or in cases where cycling calories IS the preference of the user).

• SideSteel
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    If you decide to 'eat back' calories burnt off from exercise, does the composition of those extra calories matter? Should you stick to the same macro ratios as the rest of your calories or could you just get them all from carbs, for example?

This is a good question.

It might matter. Depends on the circumstance. It also depends greatly on how the person has their original macronutrients set up.

I believe MFP will increase your macronutrients according to your percentages. For SOME people this would have them eating more protein than they likely need. This isn't necessarily bad, but it's possible that some of those people would have better performance and/or better satiety by adding them into carbohydrate or fat instead.

IF you set your intake such that your fat and protein targets are set at sufficient levels BEFORE adding in exercise, then my answer would be to let personal preference determine where you position the additional calories you get from exercising.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune, attacks thyroid) last Spring and was unable to lose weight on 1300-1600 calories per day. I am currently going gluten free (recommended for Hashi's) very low carb at 1400 and have seen a modest loss over the past month. I'm on medication but hesitant to increase it because of the bowel problems it can cause.

I finally have access to a gym to begin with weights again (had a brief love affair with them a more than a year ago and then we moved) I want to do a recomp, with approx. 30lb to lose, and was wondering if I should eat at tdee or if I should eat at 1400 and add calories on lifting days?

5'3", 166.5 lb, My tdee is calculated at an average of 2000 using different calculators. I read in a thyroid forum that I should try eating at tdee -200 -20% for weight loss but this did not take an actual recomp into consideration. Cannot find anything about hypothyroid patients and weightlifting, recomp, etc. I'm beginning to think we don't exist. Haha sigh.

So first off regarding Hashimotos I'm not qualified to give any advice on that condition as that's out of my scope of practice and additionally beyond my knowledge base as far as what I'm comfortable commenting on.

Having said that, my reply in general might not be applicable if there's anything about that condition that I'm not aware of that could effect variables that would normally be present in someone without that condition.

In people without that condition, I would recommend using personal preference and performance as primary variables in determining whether to cycle your intake such that you eat more on training days and less on rest days, or to keep your intake consistent from day to day.

If you had zero difference in preference, recovery, and performance (which is not the case with most people), AND you were aiming to eat at maintenance to recomp, I would probably lean slightly in favor of a cyclical intake largely for theoretical reasons that may not make a significant difference anyway.

Thank you for the reply. Feel like a bit of an *kitten* to bump it. I was hoping you might have run across someone with a similar story, but it seems a bit of a rarity. Basically it's easy to gain fat and ridiculously difficult to lose it, and we maintain at significantly lower calories.
    I've read up on your posts regarding recomps, and I'll have the noob advantage in simultaneously losing fat and gaining muscle, and wondering whether a steady calorie intake or cycling is generally preferable? I would have a lower amount to work with, regardless.

But to clarify, I wouldn't favor cycling arbitrarily. There's a reason why I worded it the way I did. I would very slightly favor it only under conditions where there are no differences in preference/performance/adherence between cyclical and steady intake (or in cases where cycling calories IS the preference of the user).

So, to make sure I understand, either way works for recomp, but depends on user preference, whether they find it easier to stick to one plan or the other, and whether their workout improves or suffers using either method.
    I don't want to make the decision based on my preference, since it's not as informed, I just want performance and I'll stick to whatever would get me to my goals.
    Is it just trial and error, then?

• SideSteel
    Options

So, to make sure I understand, either way works for recomp, but depends on user preference, whether they find it easier to stick to one plan or the other, and whether their workout improves or suffers using either method.
    I don't want to make the decision based on my preference, since it's not as informed, I just want performance and I'll stick to whatever would get me to my goals.
    Is it just trial and error, then?

Honestly yes it does take a lot of trial and error.
    You could always start with one method, try it out, and if you're doing fine, stick with it. If you're having issues adjust it.

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you recommend any supplements? Doing some research on beta alanine and it looks promising. And what about creatine and arginine?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    bonniejo wrote: »
    Do you recommend any supplements? Doing some research on beta alanine and it looks promising. And what about creatine and arginine?

Really depends on what your goals are and whether or not it's worth it to spend money on supplements that may offer a marginal improvement on whatever they are designed to do.

I would suggest checking examine.com for individual supplements and the data supporting them.

I would also check out this video from Eric Helms:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tp3ZIFKkLg
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Side steel and Sara, I really appreciate the time you take with this group and your thoughtful replies- I've learned so much.

I lift for strength and aesthetics but I was wondering about whether the advice to lift heavy for lowish reps should be modified if ones goal is to improve power endurance. I rock climb and strength training has really helped improve my performance wrt to improving my strength to weight ratio. But is there a way to maximize endurance when performing strength moves? Higher reps? Pyramid sets? Drop sets? For lower body - same question as it applies to skiing and ski mountaineering. Thanks in advance.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    Side steel and Sara, I really appreciate the time you take with this group and your thoughtful replies- I've learned so much.

I lift for strength and aesthetics but I was wondering about whether the advice to lift heavy for lowish reps should be modified if ones goal is to improve power endurance. I rock climb and strength training has really helped improve my performance wrt to improving my strength to weight ratio. But is there a way to maximize endurance when performing strength moves? Higher reps? Pyramid sets? Drop sets? For lower body - same question as it applies to skiing and ski mountaineering. Thanks in advance.

First off, where does your sports performance goal rank in comparison to your goal to become stronger and/or more aesthetic?

I'll be honest that I'm "not sure" how well endurance training with weights would transfer to sports specific endurance, but it's something I'm recently learning about.

It's one of those things where it's possible that doing more skiing and more rock climbing will be the best mode of training to improve your endurance at skiing and rock climbing, but I don't say that as an absolute -- it's just something I'd question.

I realize this answer may not be helpful immediately.
  • andylllI
    Options
    That's ok any answer is more than I know right now!! I am currently limited with time bc I have two young kids. It's easier to get to the gym for 60-90 min compared to a climbing session (all day outdoors or at least 2 hr indoors) or skiing. I'm trying to maintain and maybe improve conditioning and strength for the blessed day (in like six years :/) when it might be possible for me to get out again more regularly. Right now climbing and skiing days really depend on the whims of the grandparents. Is that helpful?
  • andylllI
    Options
    I've been climbing for years. And all of my climbing buddies always used to say that the only way to get better at climbing was to climb more. And climbers typically feel that body weight training, especially bouldering, bouldering to failure and running laps on routes to failure is the way to train. When Kacy Cantanzaro, who is an amazing climber as well, was on ANW she was quoted as saying she focused on body weight training because she wanted to have the best strength-to-weight ratio possible...and not get bulky. Which I think is likely bro-science but I have also heard that strength in the gym doesn't really translate well to sport strength/ power.

What I have noticed is that weight training in the gym really improved my climbing. In the same way that heavy rows help you build towards pull ups, heavy rows and lat activation work really helped my climbing. This may be because I wasn't that strong to begin with. Lower body work, squats, split squats, lunges etc really helped my legs feel less fatigued while skiing. Again, this could be because I wasn't that strong to begin with.

Google for power/strength endurance has suggested that oly lifts (because they are dynamic), plyos (like jump squats, box jumps), and kettle bell lifts (also because they are dynamic) are good for power endurance and then I also found a link that suggested multiple low rep sets at heavy weights. For example, OHP, 16 sets of 2 with short rests (20 sec) between sets. My gym doesn't have kettle bells and I would need a coach to teach me oly lifts for sure so I'm interested in the third option and maybe adding plyos. Is there a rational way to add plyos to a strength training program? Where would you put them? Between sets? as super sets? at the end? What do you think about 16x2 for standard lifts?

Thank you so much for your time. I really am looking forward to your opinion.