Lifting? What are you doing?

Options
punchgut
punchgut Posts: 210 Member
Due to some shoulder problems, I was unable to lift heavy things for a year. The physical therapist finally cleared me for heavy lifting and they are monitoring my progress. Because of this, I've started with Stronglifts 5X5 program to rebuild strength.

What are the rest of you doing? How is your strength training going?

If you're not lifting, why not? Building muscle is one of the very best way to increase fat burning. It also converts white fat into brown fat, which is metabolically advantageous.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I currently can't lift due to dessicated discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1, which make most lifts put-you-on-your-knees painful. Even bench press puts too much stress on them. Right now, I do bodyweight squats when I can and otherwise do quite a bit of walking and some yoga. I'm working with a massage therapist and chiropractor to try to at least get them to the point that they're not so painful and I can start lifting again, because from what I've seen, deadlifts are a savior, but if the pain is too much to maintain form...

Before I stopped being able to, I did StrongLifts, or would do a slightly modified version. I modified it in part due to space (I have a room that's just big enough for lifting equipment, but is too short for standing overhead lifts) and in part due to energy (I was taking various martial arts classes during those couple of years, and SL5x5 plus those classes were too much for me). So I modified it to be two days or did 3x5.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Deep knee bends, one legged deep knee bends, push ups, planks, eccentric weights for upper body, resistive rubber bands for upper body too. I have a jinked up left shoulder currently so I have to take it easy but it seems to be getting stronger now that I stopped treating it too easily.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and Sprints when the weather permits.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    crossfit - Deadlifting 90kg (198lb), back squat about 65kg (143lb), front squat about 55kg (121lb), push press about 30kg (66lb) and then all the other stuff you do in crossfit.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My PT loves crossfit, in that they keep sending her post surgery patients. Apparently out of shape people should not try some of the ring work, and they keep blowing out shoulders. Yikes! I've thought about doing that, but my body is a mess of surgical repairs. Maybe after I get stronger I'll reconsider.

Good on you emma7437.

Dragonwolf, sorry to hear about the discs. I get it. I tore the entire left hip labrum and that had me hobbled for years before they figured it out. The only relief I found was following a low carb strict paleo life style with massive doses of a very high quality fish oil. Oh, and losing weight. Best of luck

Here's my break down:

MWF -- Lifting: squats, deads, bench press, bent over rows, overhead press

SuWF -- Climbing gym: 2-4 hours climbing in the 5.10 -11a

TRS -- jog with my huskies 5 miles.

Every day the dogs get a good walk.

• MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Elliptical every morning for 30 minutes. Every other day I do push ups and planks. Working on getting a set of PowerBlock DB's in the next couple weeks and will start a good routine with those. I have tried to be a member of gyms but I just live too far away from any of them. I need equipment at home now. It is way easier to hop downstairs or in the front room and knock out an hour vs driving 30-45 to just get to the gym.
  • jeanette526
    jeanette526 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had bad tendonitis in the supraspanitis/shoulder (sorry if i spelled that wrong). I couldn't lift my arm. It was too painful. I stayed away from weights and told my trainer I was taking a break. I blamed her for a bit but I'm pretty sure I injured it while I was working out on my own. I was at physiotherapy for a month and then my trainer kept encouraging me to come back. I did. She put me on a regimen that first avoided my shoulder and then she began working it in with simple exercises she got from a doctor from within her own network. My should got stronger and flexability increased. I stopped physio and thank my trainer for saving me. She's been so worth the money to me. the lesson: avoiding the shoulder wasn't the smartest way to go for me.
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have bad shoulders also from years of running a hand truck delivering beer and kegs all day. So my trainer also told me when we first started we won't be doing anything overhead till I get my shoulders healed up. I do resistance band exercises right now for my shoulders and lots of stretching.