hi - my name is Ginny

Options
ginham71
ginham71 Posts: 1 Member
I had bypass surgery 9/5/14 and have lost 46 pounds so far. I hope to lose another 60 - 70 pounds.
I am having a real hard time right now with hunger. I went to doc for for my post-op check up and was told I was eating too much volume. I am keeping the calories consumed between 900 and 1200.

Does anyone have strategies they use to help manage hunger. I am drinking 56 - 64 oz of water each day and am in the bathroom just about hourly. I also need to keep meal portion sizes to 1/2 - 1 cup and should probably be eating 5 small meals each day.

Maybe my problems are all in my head.

Replies

• 5555price
    5555price Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Ginny, are you getting the right amount of protein as well as water? I find that having a stick of string cheese helps and is only around 50 calories. The other thing that helps me is gum. Not sure if your doctor allows for gum, but mine does not seem to mind and it seems to keep hunger at bay... must trick my mind since I am chewing something.
  • pattyapoian
    Options
    Hello Ginny, I know we are supposed to limit our fat intake, with that being said adding healthy fats such as avocado into your diet will help with reducing hunger. Add half an avocado to salads with protein as you like. I enjoy some with eggs and salsa. I add a tsp. of coconut oil to coffee it also helps. I do gum sometimes, but the problem with gum is that you end up taking in air in the tummy. Talk to your doctor about adding healthy fats in small amounts. That would be my suggestion. I had my surgery 9/30/99!! I lost 100 initially but am working on some regain. Good luck.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had my surgery on 9/18/14 and I have found that keeping a protein drink with me and making sure I get in all my protein (I aim for 80 to 100 grams) and all my fluids (at least 8 cups) really helps with hunger. My surgeon's plan is less than 30 grams of carbs, even now.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try taking a couple of Tums when you feel hungry, particularly when it hasn't been that long since you've eaten. If it helps, yor issue may be acid, which can be controlled by a dose or change in dose of a PPI. All docs are different, but I was specifically TOLD to keep my calories between 1000-1200 by adding snacks for the duration of my losing period. I did, and lost stedily. Has your weight loss stalled for more than a month or 2? Seems like you should be doing well as long as you're getting adequate protein.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve 3.5 years ago. I never really got my hunger back, real hunger that is. What I struggle with is head hunger. You know, that need to eat, sometimes even when you just finished a meal a little bit ago and really are still full? Some get it when they are bored? You know what I mean. If I get that head hunger during the day I will break up my dinner into the protein portion and then a few hours later the salad or vegtable. That helps me not snack at night. And most days, I purposely leave calories for the evening for a high protein snack. You can also try keeping a high quality protein bar with you and slice it up into 4. Nibble one section between breakfast and lunch, another mid afternoon and so on. Really the more protein you eat the less hungry you usually are.