Metformin question and a few general questions (plus a bit of venting)

Options
2»

Replies

• serenity56
    serenity56 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I will definitely look into seeing an endocrinologist, and maybe bite the bullet and get a new regular physician, too... he's got a bit of a track record with me when it comes to being dismissive/minimizing issues I bring up, etc. I was ranting to my bf today about him, I completely agree about the dr.'s statement that hormonal bc has minimal side effects... either he's completely clueless and therefor not really qualified to talk about this at all, haha... or he's flat-out lying to me. Either case is reason enough for me to move on.

So, on MFP... if I'm trying low carb/high fat, what should my little fat/carb/protein pie chart look like? :) And what amount of carbs counts as "low carb"?

Thanks for all the replies! <3

• serenity56
    serenity56 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Reading this it sounds like
    10% carb (30g)
    20% protein (60g)
    70% fat (70g) is what he is recommending to start, but that you can add in some more carbs down the road if it you do it smartly. Do those sound like acceptable goals?

http://www.ion.ac.uk/information/onarchives/lowcarbeating
  • lysco08
    Options
    Hey everyone, looks like there is some good discussion on here. I myself have PCOS and also work in medicine (I'm a physician assistant). I actually did my masters thesis regarding metformin and myo-inositol as it relates to pregnancy and live birth rates. I have done alot of self-education, and I think that's what it takes to get the best health care for any condition. Let me know if anyone has questions, I'd be happy to talk personally as well. Good luck all!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist put me on 25% carbs, 35-55% fat, balance in protein. Adjusting fat to losing, but he wasn't putting me on super low carbs to affect fertility. I am out of the portion of the game. I have not had success sticking to that carb requirement due to financial reasons, but I know when I first started metformin and stuck to lower carbs, I did start losing weight... that low carb stuff there seems extreme to me, but I have not experienced personally successes as the above folk have. I seem to recall that most have found the best success staying below 50 net grams carbs per day, however that works out for your calories...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    serenity56 wrote: »
    Reading this it sounds like
    10% carb (30g)
    20% protein (60g)
    70% fat (70g) is what he is recommending to start, but that you can add in some more carbs down the road if it you do it smartly. Do those sound like acceptable goals?

http://www.ion.ac.uk/information/onarchives/lowcarbeating

That looks about the right ratios for what's known as ketosis, which is what the body does when it burns fat as the primary fuel. It may seem extreme at first, but it's actually quite doable.

However, your total calories are extremely low. By my calculations, that comes out to 990g. Unless you're on the short end of 4 feet, you should be eating quite a bit more than that, especially on a low carb, high fat diet.

Recalculate your numbers to bring calories back to something sane. You can keep the carb gram goal where it is (30g). Keep the protein percent goal where it is (20%, which may increase the gram amount). Then fill in the rest with fat. This will very likely push 100g and may even exceed it. That may look scary, but it's perfectly fine.

From there? Eat all the stuff that conventional wisdom says is bad. I'm not joking.

Butter, whole eggs, bacon, red meat, fatty cuts (and the fat on them!), chicken skin, cream, lard, tallow. The more conventional wisdom cringes at it, the better, basically. Yes, that means including the oft-vilified saturated fat and cholesterol. No, it won't clog your arteries.

The only fat that's bad is artificial trans fat. That is, hydrogenated oils, margarine, industrial seed oils, etc.

Get your fats from whole food and minimally processed sources. If you use oils, choose non-GMO and cold or expeller pressed. Favor unrefined versions for the most part, for their health benefits (as many antioxidants and whatnot are lost in the refining process), but don't fret if you can only afford refined (or really, really don't like the taste of the unrefined version). Favor fats with high saturated or monounsaturated content (avocado, olive, coconut, butter, lard, etc) for cooking, and save the polyunsaturated fats (walnut, sunflower, flax, other nut and seed oils) for cold uses, such as salads, because polyunsaturated fats are very heat-sensitive and oxidize easily (which damage the fats and make them bad for you).

Additionally, eat non-starchy vegetables. Leafy greens, broccoli, asparagus, etc. If it grows above ground, it's basically fair game, but be mindful of the fact that some still have more carbs than others. Be careful with root vegetables, such as carrots and parsnips, as they tend to be higher carb, but if you can fit them in, have a some. Minimize intake of starchy vegetables, as that will rack up your carb count real quick, fast, and in a hurry.

If you want fruits, stick to stone fruits (peaches, nectarines, etc) and berries (strawberries, blueberries, avocados, etc) for the most part. Treat fruits in general as dessert. Don't worry, you're not missing out on nutrients, especially if you're including green veggies and a variety of meats and meat cuts.

I think that's a sufficient primer. I also recommend checking out the Low Carber Daily group, which has a ton of resources and a great group of people that can help with the ins and outs of low carbing.
  • LO1421
    LO1421 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    After reading these posts yesterday and speaking to another member more I decided to try inositol myself. I took about 4g this morning and I am shock of how better I feel today then I have been. I've been through the ringer with infertility treatments and I don't even want to think about starting that again. I just want to not feel like crap and have my body fight me. I'm going to stay on it and give see if helps. I'm definitely sticking to clean eating (8 day streak now!!) and drinking 2 liters of water a day. The eating habits haven't been as tough (with the exception of the weekend). I add protein to my cooking and flax seed as well. There are a lot of great clean eating tips and recipes on pinterest.
  • FruityTetris
    FruityTetris Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to say on the fertility side of things, but I do know that I despise Metformin and the way it messes up my stomach. I've never had stomach cramps like this before. Does anyone have any tips to help with the cramps and diarrhea?
  • LO1421
    Options
    How long have you been taking Metformin? When I was on it I also had cramping and diarrhea. It took a while for my body to get used to it then I was fine. Unless I forgot to take it or script ran out before I could get to pharmacy which felt like my body starting over with getting used to it again.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It took me a few weeks to balance out on the Metformin. For me, I had to add some carbs to balance it out. My body tolerates grains better than fruits. Fruits make that reaction worse for me unless it is berries. So I suggest you find out which type works better for you and bumping a little when your reaction strikes. Others on here also made me aware that dairy and a few other things trigger the reaction a little more. It is all about balance. For me, NOT EATING will make the reaction very strong...
  • LO1421
    Options
    I agree! Not eating when taking Metformin made it so much worse. I was on a pretty high dosage too. My first RE told me to take it all in the morning which made me feel like crap for the rest of the day. Then she told me to take it at night before going to bed which caused me to be very nauseous throughout the night and mornings were very rough. When I switched REs he told me to take one pill per meal which after my body got used to it I felt better. I always carried crackers or snack bar in my purse cause it would help with the nausea.
  • bigbabi74
    bigbabi74 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2010. My cycle has never been normal, af always stays 15 days or more. I was never given any treatment for it except the occasional birth control pill or depo with didn't do anything for me. Well in May of this year I was put on metformin 500mg 2x a day. I just want some relief and a baby. But I have lost 15lbs since being on metformin.
  • LO1421
    Options
    I was put on metformin when we were going through infertility. I personally hated it. I think I lost 10 lbs when I was on it and then nothing after that. The side effects were awful and I always felt like crap. I got used to it after a while but we decided to give up on infertility treatments after thousands of dollars spent I stopped taking it. I learned from someone on here about inositol which has saved my life. I feel so much better and my doctor agreed if it works for me to keep using it. Good luck to you and I'm here for you if you ever need to vent.