question about shoes?

Options
I always just used my regular gym shoes to run in. But recently learned they aren't the best for running as there is zero support.

But I am not sure what I am looking for in a good running shoe. I know I need more support then these (nike free tr fit 4) are giving me. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to find a store that specializes in running. They can answer all your questions and many can provide gait analysis where they can match shoes based on your running stride and footstrike pattern.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to find a store that specializes in running. They can answer all your questions and many can provide gait analysis where they can match shoes based on your running stride and footstrike pattern.

This!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    arp125 wrote: »
    I know I need more support then these (nike free tr fit 4) are giving me.

Notwithstanding the advice above, that I wouldn't fundamentally disagree with, what's telling you that your current shoes aren't right?

• bestrongbefit1
    bestrongbefit1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know I need more support then these (nike free tr fit 4) are giving me.

Notwithstanding the advice above, that I wouldn't fundamentally disagree with, what's telling you that your current shoes aren't right?

My feet. I had to get a foot support thing to help and it has but I'd like to get a shoe that has the arch support I need so I don;t have to wear it.
  • bestrongbefit1
    Options
    But then again i did just start running long distance, so i will for sure go talk with a running store. I actually found one recently, just been kinda shy to go in.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    But then again i did just start running long distance, so i will for sure go talk with a running store. I actually found one recently, just been kinda shy to go in.

Don't be shy!
    The running store is awesome. Mine has a running group that meets 3x a week. So I'm there 2x week and its great for getting out in this cold weather
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options

+1

• Danimalrunsagain
    Danimalrunsagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Running stores love runners. Running store employees are nearly always runners themselves and they love to help other runners find what works best for them. There is definitely no need to be shy.
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree... go to a running store and they can answer questions. Most running stores will also do a gait assessment where they put you on a treadmill and take video of your stride and then recommend the best shoe for your particular running style. I did this when I started running and then I took their shoe advice and found them for cheaper at another store. Sometimes the specialty running stores are expensive, but the advice is beneficial.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    brenstar05 wrote: »
    I agree... go to a running store and they can answer questions. Most running stores will also do a gait assessment where they put you on a treadmill and take video of your stride and then recommend the best shoe for your particular running style. I did this when I started running and then I took their shoe advice and found them for cheaper at another store. Sometimes the specialty running stores are expensive, but the advice is beneficial.

1. not all running stores have a treadmill to do this - most of the ones in Connecticut and the one I've been to in Maine don't.
    2. Even if it's a Fleet Feet store, it is still a local running shop and it's kind of a *kitten* thing to spend an hour with the person and buy the pair elsewhere. Buying a second pair of the same shoe elsewhere is one thing. But I would feel really bad spending all of that time with them to not buy from a local shop.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    2. Even if it's a Fleet Feet store, it is still a local running shop and it's kind of a *kitten* thing to spend an hour with the person and buy the pair elsewhere. Buying a second pair of the same shoe elsewhere is one thing. But I would feel really bad spending all of that time with them to not buy from a local shop.

Some stores will charge a small fee for their initial assessment (my LRS charges $15), but if you buy the shoes there, they will waive the fee. So if you are getting a great discount, it may be worth it to just pay for the assessment and shop elsewhere.

However, the great thing about buying shoes at your LRS is the return policy. Most of these stores allow you 90 days to try out the shoes to make sure they feel as good on your runs as they do in the store. I can't remember the last time I ended up with the same pair of shoes I started with (I'm still desperately trying to find a suitable replacement for my beloved Mizuno Elixirs that were discontinued!)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    lorierin22 wrote: »

Some stores will charge a small fee for their initial assessment (my LRS charges $15), but if you buy the shoes there, they will waive the fee. So if you are getting a great discount, it may be worth it to just pay for the assessment and shop elsewhere.

However, the great thing about buying shoes at your LRS is the return policy. Most of these stores allow you 90 days to try out the shoes to make sure they feel as good on your runs as they do in the store. I can't remember the last time I ended up with the same pair of shoes I started with (I'm still desperately trying to find a suitable replacement for my beloved Mizuno Elixirs that were discontinued!)

I love the return policy. With the exception of my fitting in March 2014, I have never left the store without having to return for a different shoe or an insole.

I wanted to cry (and may have) when I got fit for the Saucony Guide 7s by the sports med director at the West Hartford Fleet Feet. That lady has changed my life.

But the stores have a great return policy since they realize that a 5min jog around the store or block isn't really telling.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would just add that in my experience a barefoot gait analysis on the treadmill is better. I went to a Fleet Feet about 10 years ago when I really started running and they put me in neutral shoes and did a gait analysis. As a result I spent many years in stability/motion control shoes. I did another gait analysis about 6 months ago or so at at LRS and they do it barefoot. They said I could easily run in a neutral and the correction may have contributed to some of the knee issues during a previous ultra. No problems since. While I said goodbye to a lot of shoes on the market when I went neutral, it did open up another world of shoes for me which is awesome.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I would just add that in my experience a barefoot gait analysis on the treadmill is better. I went to a Fleet Feet about 10 years ago when I really started running and they put me in neutral shoes and did a gait analysis. As a result I spent many years in stability/motion control shoes. I did another gait analysis about 6 months ago or so at at LRS and they do it barefoot. They said I could easily run in a neutral and the correction may have contributed to some of the knee issues during a previous ultra. No problems since. While I said goodbye to a lot of shoes on the market when I went neutral, it did open up another world of shoes for me which is awesome.

Just to add to the barefoot thing, I was sent to a physical therapist for a full body gait analysis (the running store looked at mid calf and down).

She's watched how my ankles roll, how my pelvis tilts, how much or little ROM I have in my ankles. She's made me run barefoot on the treadmill and it's rather telling. It showed me just how much the shoe absorbs the impact from the treadmill (and I was on a non-traditional TM) and how my body compensates to reduce the pain. It was cool.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Just to add to the barefoot thing, I was sent to a physical therapist for a full body gait analysis (the running store looked at mid calf and down).

She's watched how my ankles roll, how my pelvis tilts, how much or little ROM I have in my ankles. She's made me run barefoot on the treadmill and it's rather telling. It showed me just how much the shoe absorbs the impact from the treadmill (and I was on a non-traditional TM) and how my body compensates to reduce the pain. It was cool.

That's awesome!
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Nike shoes in general and especially the Nike Free have very flexible soles, I don't think they are great to run in everyday unless you are just running 10 minutes on a treadmill. I had one pair and I used to use them as a lightweight race shoe for 5ks. Asics, New Balance and Brooks are some good brands to keep in mind. But its not just the brand, its the shoe. Try on different ones and see what works best for you. Keep in mind that a good pair of shoes can be costly, but in my experience you get what you pay for. For "arch support" definitely look into getting insoles for whatever arch type you have. The default insoles in running shoes are typically a cheap styrofoam and meant to be replaced.
  • bestrongbefit1
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and advice :) I am gonna go to my local running store and get my assessment and get what I need. Again thank you for taking the time to give me advise it's very much appreciated.